Contribute
Register

New Gigabyte Z68 UEFI BIOS Betas Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
timbck2 said:
Here's my experience with upgrading the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 from BIOS F10 to UEFI BIOS U1b. I'm not sure if this one is rev 1.0 or 1.3 since I have one of each (and I'm too lazy to open the case and look) and the UEFI BIOS is identical - I downloaded both and did a diff on them, didn't just look at the file sizes. There was a lot of trial and error (mostly stupid things I forgot to do or overlooked), but in the end I got everything working except sleep - my hack still won't wake from sleep. If anyone has any ideas on how to get that working I welcome them!

Is native power management working, or are you using NCPUPM? Did you ever put those kexts you renamed back in? Do you have full speedstep w/out a DSDT or SSDT?

I can report that with a DSDT and SSDT I reach the following states:
16, 17, 25, 30, 34, 36, 37. I have a i5-2500K.

Boot speed is faster as reported by others. And especially in Windows 8 which took forever to boot for some reason.

On the downside my bluetooth dongle doesn't seem to play as nice as it did before. Keyboard detected when OS X was booted, not anymore. Have to unplug and plug. May be because i have it on a hub. Will try some different configs.

Still need to figure out edits for HDMI Audio...

My DSDT and SSDT is attached below:

Attachments

• Z68MX.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 84
AppleHDA Toleda + 889 non DSDT (HDAenabler 889), full working

timbck2 said:
sonicseamus said:
Try typing "bdmesg" into terminal and look under the p states section. Or you can use msrdumper, but I prefer bdmesg.

Thanks, I'll try that later. It would be great to get sleep working again! My machine seems to perform better with UEFI (though that could be my imagination) - it definitely boots a lot faster.

I have the same board (Rev 1.3) but it's strange you could never get networking going. Networking always seemed to work, along with sleep which was perfect. I also flashed to the UEFI however 2 things gave me grief: 1) I could not for the life of me get Audio working, and 2) my 6870 would not pick up. I ended up flashing back to the D10 BIOS and now everything is working. My XFX 6870 was working OOB with only GE=Y (Fully recognized as 6870), Sleep works like fans power off etc, press any key and the machine wakes up.

Also, I used the Apple Intel CPU Power management patch from Multibeast when I used UEFI, and that took care of my Kernal Panics on startup.
I was not using a DSDT with the UEFI bios, but when I flashed back to F10 I used the F10 DSDT.

When I mentioned sleep was working perfetly, somewhere along the line it dropped to working only 99.99%. When it wakes from sleep now, for about 20 seconds my keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, but after the 20sec delay, they come to life. I'm living with it, but it's annoying.

timbck2 said:
That's how mine has always worked - a 15-20 second delay before the keyboard would work.

...but that shouldn't be...right? Maybe something in the DSDT, or our motherboard? I also don't recall that happening in the beginning, I'm almost positive it started at some random point. It's not a "huge" deal, just a small annoyance but the Hack is working 100% otherwise so I guess I can't complain.

I'm still on F10, probably won't switch back to DSDT free UEFI for a while, probably until ML hits, I'm thinking then it'll be really worth it to use.

So the DSDT that genzai posted (same DSDT as cem2ran posted I think) broke my sleep. My monitor would never wake from sleep and I don't think my keyboard would either (hard to tell with no monitor but keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work to shutdown). I realized since I made the mistake of using a patched 10.7.4 in 10.7.3, I decided to try removing the DSDT and installing the Non-DSDT HDAEnabler again with the proper patched AppleHDA kext and it works perfectly.

I'm currently running DSDT-Free with no problems on Z68MX-UD2H-B3. Sleep is now working well, monitor wakes, and my audio is working as well. I have not attempted to OC at all but don't really have any interest in it anyway.

Odd, I am surprised to hear that since sleep works perfectly for me as long as i disconnect my card readers which cause immediate wake-up after sleep. I am on 10.7.4 but i would be surprised if that would affect the situation. Anyway I am glad you got something working for your setup. Not sure if there is any real difference from getting HDEF through DSDT vs HDAEnabler.
Cheers,
g\

Downgrade Bios Back to F13

I flashed the new bios and was not happy whatsoever. Very few options and caused KP.

I managed to reflash back to the "normal" bios with these instructions.. It worked for me.

*Disclaimer*
This may or may not work for your board and also MAY work for other board manufacturers but YMMV and I hold no responsibility if it bricks your board. AMIBIOS is what most gigabyte boards use.

Ok after a near crap experience tonight of wanting to test out gigabytes new UEFI bios for some Z68/P67 boards I wanted to go back to the regular bios. The new UEFI bios was nice but was missing things for OC like LLC, PLL overvolt, and offset voltages. The following steps I had gotten off My Digital Life.

Quote:
I digged around, seems like there is no official way to flash it back to original hybrid bios. Except this Russian utility, try if you dare..
BACK_2_AWARD.zip - Utility
AWARD.avi - Video

1. First thing is to goto gigabyte and download the older bios you want
2. Next is to download the utility above
3. After downloading, extract and find the version for your OS (Win or Win64)
4. Copy the folder to the root directory of your hard drive ( C:\ )
5. Extract your bios to this folder as well that you have copied to the root directory of your hard drive
6. Your bios should look like this "Z68XUD3H.F12" what you need to do is rename it to "1.rom"
7. Now goto CMD prompt and type without quotes "fptw.exe -f 1.rom" or "fptw64.exe -f 1.rom" whichever OS you have
8. Let it flash (takes like 2 minutes). Once its completes turn the PC all the way off and cycle power. At this point its fingers crossed to see if it made it.

TIP* this way of blind flashing only flashes the first bios so it is best that once you get back into the bios, run Qflash and reflash the bios you want so it does both bioses for safety.

This is a public safety announcement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back