Contribute
Register

New G5 Mod MSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
deleted

deleted

Looks like you did a terrific job!

One question. How is e PSU going to breath with the fan on top? I have mine upside down with the fan outside the case to pull air in through the bottom. That's why I used a perforated hanger to hold the PSU. Curious to know what your method is...

Looks great.

Ersterhernd

lol, I took that photo while just testing the fit, it will be mounted fan down. I'm thinking of remaking the brackets at work where I have better equipment. I may make a plate with a fan opening... though that might not be needed and a waste of time and being on the bottom only I'd know it's there. lol

I've decided to use my new 7 hot swap drive cage from The Laser Hive for a full ATX build. I've a couple of cases waiting in the wings for projects. Built a new blue tooth mod for the hack, put together a new wifi mod using info from this thread http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1143 and looking like the image below... I'll be using the third antenna for my blue tooth mod. Remade the brackets for the power supply and finished the power cord to apple connector. I started making the beauty plate to cover wires on back of enclosure, and worked some more on the power supply housing. I will post some pictures later, for now I'm getting some wife aggro... ;) so I need to clean up the 3 work areas. Now to figure out what to do for the hard drives.... and a couple of photo's.

Great front panel cable from Alohacab.

WiFi and Bluetooth board mod also with IR camera. The Black sleeve contains the Bluetooth board.

G5 speaker for Apple start up chime.

Attachments

• AlohaCabs_cable .jpg
    AlohaCabs_cable .jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 203
  • wifiandbluetooth.jpg
    wifiandbluetooth.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 143
  • g5speaker.jpg
    g5speaker.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 215
I'm sorry for the lack of progress lately.... I'm struggling with coming up with a new plan on how to continue, swapping some of the intended parts to a new full ATX build has forced me to rethink my approach. lol As soon as I decide which way to go with these builds I'll start posting again.

Just took my own latest project apart half a dozen times today, changing one thing each time. I always think that it is better not to rush a project. :) It's the end result that counts.
Looking forward to reading your progress.

I'm sorry for the lack of progress lately.... I'm struggling with coming up with a new plan on how to continue, swapping some of the intended parts to a new full ATX build has forced me to rethink my approach. lol As soon as I decide which way to go with these builds I'll start posting again.

OK, I've decided my 2004 G5 hack will continue , I have made progress on my G5 late 3 2005 hack. It's a much simpler approach as no beauty panels in side. These photos are of the test run just before tidying up wiring and in stalling the hot swapper drive cage from The Laser Hive as I've decided it will become a dual boot system, oh and the OOD. If possible the 2004 case will be converted to a full Atx and then it will become the dual boot system instead of the late 2005 case. Hack running perfectly. 1 system will be made with the MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard as it is awesomely easy to use for this purpose. The other may be a full ATX M/B. I'm looking for a fully compatable working Full ATX M/B good for 2 OS's, 1 good for gaming on win7, 1 for Mountain Lion.

Back of late 2005 G5 Hack

Inside of late 2005 G5 Hack before wire management/Hard drive cage

Power supply hole and Cool Master cooler

Attachments

• Back-of-G5-case.jpg
    Back-of-G5-case.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Inside_case.jpg
    Inside_case.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 250
  • Fan_hole_for_power-supply.jpg
    Fan_hole_for_power-supply.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 220
New G5 Mods MSI Z77MA-G45

I just heard today from David at The Laser Hive that I will be able to convert the 2004 G5 case to the full ATX back plate 120 kit even though I already cut it for the MATX kit, So I will be making the change as listed above/last post. As soon as I divert my wife's attention from the fact that doing 3 case mods at once I'll be ordering some more parts for the various mods I'm be doing for the 3 cases 2 G5, 1 Mac Pro case. The Mac Pro is still in the planing stage, but i do have the case and some other parts.

My regular shop where I do my projects has my off-road race car(seen below) in for race prep so I've been working in dinning room, patio and my computer room. In case your wondering I don't actually race anymore as I'm to old and slow to compete. I do support 16 other racers as a prerunner/EMS support so I still get to run the courses pre race using my Lowrance gps so the drivers or the navigators can enter obstacles and warnings into the unit that has a removable chip that can be copied to their units and will show up on their gps's when running the course. So now you know where all the wife aggro is coming from. :^)

Attachments

• My_desert_car.jpg
    My_desert_car.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 931
Ok, new plans:
1 system will be made with the MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard as it is awesomely easy to use for this purpose. The other may be a full ATX M/B. I'm looking for a fully compatible working Full ATX M/B good for 2 OS's, 1 good for gaming on win7, 1 for Mountain Lion. Any comment to that end will be greatly appreciated. I've removed the pictures of the 7 drives hot swapper from The Laser Hive from the build description as it will be used on the 2nd build (the full ATX build) mentioned though out this thread. Also at some point I will be asking the Mods to delete this thread (not sure I'm able to do this myself) so I can redo it so that it will conform to the preferred design used on this board. I will divide the 2 builds into 2 posts in line with the preferred method. Sorry for this interruption I just felt that this build post has become too disjointed and not really of any help to anyone due My own noobishness. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back