Contribute
Register

New Fusion Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone has a working solution for hackintosh to see the boot from the FusionDrive?

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *80.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 79.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 249.7 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk4
0: Apple_HFS Machintosh HD *327.3 GB disk4

Chimera only sees the physical disks during boot :(

Interesting- what size volumes are you using? Maybe we can figure out the issue so that Chameleon/Chimera users can boot a "fusion" volume.

Is this what you where asking for?

And to everyone else asking if someone have booted it yet, yes i have, using clover instead of chimera.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2012-11-01 kl. 22.22.36.png
    Skærmbillede 2012-11-01 kl. 22.22.36.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 741
Is this what you where asking for?

And to everyone else asking if someone have booted it yet, yes i have, using clover instead of chimera.

Awesome to hear you got it running using Clover! I have the next two days off from work so I may follow in your foot steps there. Did you actually install clover to the fusion drive or to some other boot drive first?

Want to throw my hat in the ring here too. Was able to "fuse" my two drives together using the same terminal commands and then I transferred everything back over with CCC. Chameleon doesn't see the fusion drive, just the two physical drives and both appear as missing. the only way to boot the hackintosh is to boot with unibeast USB stick.

I'm a relative noob so I'd love to learn how to replace chameleon with clover and get this thing running!

CJ, I have installed clover on an external USB key to use at bootup but it results in the same error for me as Chameleon. The boot loader only sees the actual physial drives and not their "fusion" alias. I'd love to hear the exact nature of your setup and if there was anything extra you needed to do to make Clover see the fusion drive you made.

@--cj--
Clover 810 with no luck , and I suppose we will be needing probably a sort of "CoreStorage-x64.efi" to recognize a fusion drive .
Would you please attach the content of your /EFI/drivers64 or /EFI/Drivers64UEFI folder ? That would help me a lot.

I'm running it of the EFI partition of the SSD, booting by UEFI.

I will zip up my EFI folder and upload it when i'm back at my desktop.

Even when using clover it will show 2 OS X installations called "Boot OS X" just try booting one of those if you have it.

I had the problem on my GA-Z77X-UD3H that i would no load the kernel (boot with -v it will tell you that it is unable to load the kernel into memory), i had to add slide=0 to the kernel flags. This happend even with a normal installation.

Just so you all know, i have only booted the drive created with the terminal commands, but i don't really know how to test if fusion is in fact moving files.

There's no extra file management necessary when you do things the way cseistrup described (which is identical to my setup, except my home folder is on a 750GB hybrid drive, so I get the best of both worlds) - and I'm very productive.

I have a similar setup currently: Users is actually a mount-point for a larger 2T disk. Doing this is the most straightforward way to use the speed of the SSD to boost everyday actions, yet still have some room for stuff.

However, this is not without issues.

Namely, each User's Library folder should ideally be on the SSD to get the best performance for many applications, but this is very unpractical because some programs store a LOT of data in /User/*/Library/. For example, almost any email client will store all of its data there.

Another major headache is that time machine won't normally backup data located on a different physical disk, so, using Time Machine doesn't really work in my case. I have edited my TM prefs to specifically backup /Users anyway, but most users won't (or shouldn't) do this.

So, Fusion solves these issues. Sure, its at the expense of reliability, but if my TM is working, who really cares?

Hi all,

I've been reading as much as I can on this topic: not only here at TonyMacX86, but also the Ars Technica article and of course the JollyJinx articles.

During all this reading I've come to the conclusion that speculation about what CoreStorage is doing is often based on other people's speculation and there have been a few "facts" presented which are in fact not authoritatively sourced (that I could find).

Does anyone know for a fact these assertions that I've read (I don't recall where now for each "fact", but these have been accumulating in my mind as needed evidence):

**ASSERTION 1: CoreStorage needs to know if one of the disks is SSD (via SMART via SATA) in order for Fusion to work**
This comes from the JollyJinx article where he states that he used a SATA connection so that CS could figure out there is an SSD there, but he doesn't state that it must know this in order for the Fusion Drive to work. Personally, I think Apple would have been rather short-sighted to require a particular technology or another to do something, I mean, why not just measure the performance of each physical disk in the set and if there is any large-enough disparity in READ performance, then do the Fusion thing.

**ASSERTION 2: Fusion will only work with 2 drives, no more**
Has anyone actually tried this? I would, but I only have a single extra physical disk lying around, let alone 3. If more than 2 drives are possible, and each have a different performance rating, will Fusion Drive allocate files to each accordingly?

**ASSERTION 3: PowerNap will not work with Fusion since PowerNap is disabled when there is a HDD**
This also seems rather silly to me. Sure, I understand that it takes too much power to fire up the old platter, but a Fusion drive has 4GB of "cache" that is written to first anyway, so, when power-napping, all the writes could happily go to the Fusion drive, then when there is power, these would be written to the HDD if required. Even the largest updates from Apple are smaller than 4GBs and most won't be applied until the user authorises it anyway. In fact, the more I think about it, I think Fusion Drive could be a way to bring PowerNap to more users.

**ASSERTION 4: System files always remain on the SSD**
I've seen people tossing this around based on something Phil said in the keynote, which was specifically: "The operating system entirely fits on that flash so we keep it there for maximum system performance. In fact all the software that comes preinstalled on your iMac fits in flash", he then goes on to make the case that if you don't use some of these programs (iMovie and iPhoto he specifies), they will get moved to HDD. Based on Phil's words, it should be the case that the core OS remains on the SSD, but utilities and programs could easily get moved to the HDD. So the big question is, how would this restriction be made? Does writing/updating system files mark a special flag on their blocks somehow? I speculate that in fact, this isn't happening at all, and that "system files" simply stay on the SSD simply because they are accessed frequently and thus remain there for the same reason any other frequently accessed file would. However, it would be nice if we have some authoritative source here (besides Phil Schiller in a keynote =).

It would be pretty sweet if there *was* some sort of mechanism to keep certain files on certain disks based on a policy though (and I hope my above speculation is wrong) because, in theory, Apple could conceivably allow the system to boot up (into Safe Mode, perhaps) even when the HDD fails, if it can keep the OS "locked" to the SSD. On the other hand, if such a policy-based mechanism exists, I am sure that some application developers will figure out how to exploit it so that their apps stay on the SSD so that they perform their best, which of course would defeat the purpose of Fusion Drive.

Anyway, anyone know any of these for sure?

Here are the files from my EFI partiton of my SSD, don't use these directly as i have added a dsdt patched for my audio (this is the only edit)

I'm booting using UEFI

My board is a GA-Z77X-UD3H

http://cl.ly/420y3G0W0Y2J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back