Contribute
Register

New Fan Control DSDT - for silent fan at higher temps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used your version and nothing change, the App was running for 1 hours or so but was stucked at the Compiling step!

I will check this line also and report it back!

Many thanks for your time, sorry for my stupid needs...
Mauro.

I used your version and nothing change, the App was running for 1 hours or so but was stucked at the Compiling step!

Are you sure it was stuck at "Compiling step"? The Intel iasl compiler is really fast. It takes only a few seconds to compile even the largest DSDT. Are you sure there wasn't a dialog window somewhere on your desktop asking you for a place to save the output (it sometimes appears under other windows if you were working on something else, so you might have to minimize windows in order to find it). Next time that happens, take a screen shot of the log, so we are sure what you are running into.

I've seen it get stuck in the "Applying patches..." stage. That has something to do with Java. On the machine that was demonstrating that issue, I removed Java manually (googled instructions... since OS X doesn't have "uninstallers"), then went to apple.com to download latest Java, then everything worked.

I will check this line also and report it back!

Many thanks for your time, sorry for my stupid needs...
Mauro.

No worries. You will eventually get it sorted...

just want to say thanks rehabman got it working like a charm now and has made a big difference to my battery life :)

I am posting just to thank RehabMan for the work. Finally I installed new fan control solution and even with my high temperatures problem it is very useful. Fan speed is more stable and when I do really, really light browsing it's switched off completely putting my battery power time to above 4 hours. Maybe I'll edit DSDT to have fan switched off up to 52 to make it a little bit better suited for my situation. To sum up: AWESOME!:)

I've got a problem. I decided to try this experimental fan control dsdt patch and it worked well, just as expected. But the thing is - the fan was switching on/off every minute during the movie I was watching so I decided to go back to my old dsdt. I got rid of ACPIPoller.kext (rebuild cache as well) and Fanreset.dylib but despite that, the CPU Heatsink temp apparently stays at 31 C which makes the fan stay on the first "level", no matter how high the temperature is. Switching the "fan always on on AC" bios option off would make the fan not go on at all. Any ideas how to reset it?

edit: Resetting the EC did the trick.

I was going to say, reset, but I see you realized that.

But also, just keep Fanreset.dylib in /Extra/modules, because it doesn't hurt anything to run each time and it avoids the issue you ran into if you're going to be switching back & forth.

I've got a problem. I decided to try this experimental fan control dsdt patch and it worked well, just as expected. But the thing is - the fan was switching on/off every minute during the movie I was watching so I decided to go back to my old dsdt. I got rid of ACPIPoller.kext (rebuild cache as well) and Fanreset.dylib but despite that, the CPU Heatsink temp apparently stays at 31 C which makes the fan stay on the first "level", no matter how high the temperature is. Switching the "fan always on on AC" bios option off would make the fan not go on at all. Any ideas how to reset it?

edit: Resetting the EC did the trick.

BTW, you could also modify the FTAB (fan table) in your DSDT such that there is no "fan off" state.

After rebooting and unchecking the 'fan on while connected' in the bios, I got an error which said I had to shutdown the computer. I restarted it and everything seems okay.

How do I know if I did it correctly though? I still hear the fan, but I have a widget which is telling me that my cpu is currently at 46C. I am running the laptop connected to the ac without the battery in. Could that be why the fan is still on? Or do you think I did something wrong?

Edit: Running only on battery now. Still hear the fan. Definitely did something wrong I guess. Back to the drawing board.

SUPER EDIT: Got it working somehow. I can hear the fan turning off when dropping below ~52C.

After rebooting and unchecking the 'fan on while connected' in the bios, I got an error which said I had to shutdown the computer. I restarted it and everything seems okay.

How do I know if I did it correctly though? I still hear the fan, but I have a widget which is telling me that my cpu is currently at 46C. I am running the laptop connected to the ac without the battery in. Could that be why the fan is still on? Or do you think I did something wrong?

Edit: Running only on battery now. Still hear the fan. Definitely did something wrong I guess. Back to the drawing board.

All of this stuff is included in the Probook Installer at this point... So as long as you chose one of the NewFan DSDTs or patched your own using the quite fan patch, then you're good to go.

It is possible that the fan will run under 50C because there is an up to 40 second delay after the CPU average drops below 50C before the fan actually turns off. That is, it is very lazy about changing the fan speed... this is in order to reduce the occurance of changes in fan speed...

All of this stuff is included in the Probook Installer at this point... So as long as you chose one of the NewFan DSDTs or patched your own using the quite fan patch, then you're good to go.

It is possible that the fan will run under 50C because there is an up to 40 second delay after the CPU average drops below 50C before the fan actually turns off. That is, it is very lazy about changing the fan speed... this is in order to reduce the occurance of changes in fan speed...
Hey Rehab,

I think I got it working because now when the temp drops below ~50C the fan goes off.

I did not know about it being in the Probook installer though. Should I try to undo everything I did and do it through the Probook installer? Or will clicking the 'new fan' dsdt on the probook installer override everything I just did?

Hey Rehab,

I think I got it working because now when the temp drops below ~50C the fan goes off.

I did not know about it being in the Probook installer though. Should I try to undo everything I did and do it through the Probook installer? Or will clicking the 'new fan' dsdt on the probook installer override everything I just did?

You could re-run the Probook installer to install the OS X support kexts from there, but they are identical to those on my github repo download sections. That's where philip_petev gets them from. So, there is really nothing to "undo" as you just replaced the what you already had with the same thing.

If you have patched your own DSDT, you want to keep yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back