Graphics
EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
New Build in 10.10.3 requires -f to boot: stops at [PCI configuration end, bridges 10, devices 13 ]

Hey there! This is my first go at the hack and all seems good so far. I have run into an issue on boot and would appreciate any help provided. Below is the build and what i have done / tried to fix it.

THE BUILD

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHZ
ARCTIC Freezer i30 Extreme CPU Cooler

Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R
Corsair RM Series 850 Watt
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Single DDR3 (x2)
EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5
SATA1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (boot)
SATA2: Crucial M4 500 GB (for scratch disk)

MULTIBEAST SETTINGS:

Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150 Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA

Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.3 TRIM Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364 HWMonitor Application Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal

Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset Bootloaders > Chimera v4.1.0
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop Customize > Boot Options > IGPEnabler=No Customize > Boot Options > PCI Root ID Fix Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache Customize > Boot Options > Verbose Boot

Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1 Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

THE PROBLEM Cannot boot without -f

When i do, this is what i get on system boot:
error-1.jpg

This is what i tried:

I attempted to rebuild the Kernel Cache (although i am not 100% sure what i am dong here). I followed a few threads found ( this was the most helpful )and used Kext Wizard AFTER running:
HTML:
# in Terminal
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

If rebuilding the Kernel Cache is necessary, does anyone have a resource on how to do it (am a complete NOOB here )

Any help would be appreciated!

----- Update

I had a strange thing happen. Here is a screenshot:
issue-2.jpg

Still seems to be a Kernel Cache issue?

Not able to boot at all now... Trying to load with -x -f

*** note: I removed the graphics card and i no longer need to type -f -- so maybe i need to install the driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OK, so I got inpatient and reinstalled 10.10.3

back to the same place... need -f to load.

I installed the NVIDIA drivers to see if that was the issue. Was not.

I did notice that if i remove the graphics card, it will load. (disabled the onboard graphics in BIOS)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Not sure I can call it progress, but have some more information.

I have reinstalled 10.10.3 a dozen times now to see if I can get this to work. The last try was the most successful.

Did the complete install with the Graphics Card REMOVED. Had BIOS setup to allow onboard graphics to work.

On the final boot, i installed MultiBeast with the following settings:

Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150 Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.14.1364 HWMonitor Application Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset Bootloaders > Chimera v4.1.0
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop Customize > Boot Options > IGPEnabler=No
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > Boot Options > Verbose Boot
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1 Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

*** NOTE: I did not have the "Drivers > Graphics > Intel Graphics Patch for Mixed Configurations" installed

I shut down, Inserted the graphics card in the PCI Slot, then booted / updated BIOS.

At this point, all seemed good. I booted and it went right to the login page for OSX10.10.3 ! (it was fast too, under 10 sec)

After 4 restarts, it showed the PCI error on boot... "PCI Configuration Begin" ... ( see the image in the original post)

I installed the NVIDIA drivers at this point, hoping it would help. It didnt...

Back to the -f on boot -- I also tried to add 'UseKernelCache=no' which did not work on this install.

Any thoughts?

Accidentally posted this in the wrong area. Thanks to tonymacx86 for moving it here :D

Anyone had success fixing this PCI error? -f boot flag is not terrible, but would be nice to power up and get to desktop

I suggest that you edit the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and insert the -f argument into the Kernel Flags. Such as below, insert the -f and leave any other arguments intact, use a space as a seperator.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f darkwake=0</string>

Then you can boot without manually enter the -f argument.

Note you can use TextEdit.app to do this edit.

Good modding,
neil

I suggest that you edit the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and insert the -f argument into the Kernel Flags. Such as below, insert the -f and leave any other arguments intact, use a space as a seperator.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f darkwake=0</string>

Then you can boot without manually enter the -f argument.

Note you can use TextEdit.app to do this edit.

Good modding,
neil

Good idea. Any reason I would not want to do that in regards to performance. Was reading that -f disables more than just KernalCache (it must as i have tried disabling that on its own)

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back