Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we will have to wait and see
Have you got any info on how soon your new M1 mini arrives ? You will post here about your experiences with it ?

Last edited:
Have you got any info on how soon your new M1 mini arrives ? You will post here about your experiences with it ?
I need a new project to come in or at least a progress payment and all my clients are stalling their projects till after the first of the year. The lack of E-GPU support also troubles me a little so I am not as eggar to trade up my 2018 Mac mini just yet. I am not sure how much of my work could benefit from it since 90% is done in a window VM. The other work is done in Twinmotion and that program is based on Unreal Engine and we know that apple and epic are not really friends right now. I do a little work with video editing to help my kid with school and their assignments. Someone like @bigclue is the one that really could give us an answer on power but they seem disgruntle and very unlikely to buy one of the new M1's.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your 9900K/Vega 64. The M1 will probably be faster (20-30%?) on single threaded tasks and maybe for apps specifically tailored to it, but a 9900K is faster in multi-threading!

I am just going to put this here for you:

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 3.51.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-16 at 3.51.51 AM.png

So it is about 13.44% slower, keep in mind you are likely comparing 4 cores vs 8 cores. I know I know the M1 has 8 cores but 4 are high powered and 4 are Low powered and they do not function at the same time unless they worked it out. So this multicore score is likely 4 cores on the M1 vs 8 cores on the 9900k. Maybe I am incorrect regarding how many cores are actually taking part in this multi core benchmark. However, its not to shabby for a first release and very very few people will notice the 13.44% speed difference except in a bench mark.

There is no Metal score but 2.6 Tflops is about the same as a RX560 so it is about 66% slower then Vega 64 but I do not have a T2, or neural engine and it makes a huge difference when processing and editing video, pictures, and 3d Modeling. Probably not so much when gaming!

Apple is not stupid and I would not see them taking a performance hit just to control the entire stack.

I do not find any of the products they released to be ridiculous in cost even with the 16GB memory upgrade! And the Mac mini actually was reduced in cost. Keep in mind if you buy a dell workstation totally specked out like the top end Mac Pro fully maxed you will spend roughly the same amount.
I didn't say that the M1 Macs are overpriced; at least not until you try to spec them up, which many might be forced to do, due to the complete lack of upgradeability. The point I was trying to make, which I probably failed to convey, is that this vertical integration and performance/efficiency, seems to be veering towards an increasingly locked/restrictive ecosystem, within which price gouging is known to occur.

Also about the Dell workstation; this is off-topic and has been discussed ad nauseam, so I'll only say that it's impossible to make a true apples to apples (heh) comparison, but for a somewhat comparable Dell system, you'd looking at around $3,000-3,500 (if you want, you can have a look at Dell's configurator)

My Mac mini routinely beats my main desktop in video encoding. But you're also forgetting about the neural engine and the T2 that increases stuff when it comes to photo and video editing. Lets also not forget the apps that people who buy Mac Pros use will be tailored to it.
I didn't forget it; I mentioned apps specifically tailored to the M1's specialized hardware. From what I've read, the T2 accelerates h.265 8-bit encoding, so if you do that, you'll get a big boost.

In the past when I ran tests the 970 EVO Plus gave me the same speeds over TB3 as it did in the internal m.2 slot and I doubt the person I was replying to is doing such hard core tasks they would even notice. You say 30% slower but I think you forget that due to the TB3 controller being on the SOC with the CPU, Memory, Neural, video, and increased memory pipe if it is slower it is maybe 5%.
Depending on the workload, it might be 5%, 30% or 0%. What I was trying to say is that an external SSD isn't a replacement for a proper internal m.2 slot and it's not like there's no space inside the Mac mini (half of the enclosure is empty).

Even If they offered slots for their own SSD modules, then that'd be great too, but not at $600 for 1TB of "dumb" flash modules. I mean, come on!

I am just going to put this here for you:
Thanks for digging the scores up. It more or less confirms what I mentioned. Faster at single, slower at multi. So I wouldn't call that absolutely stomping a 9900K. Where it does comprehensively stomp it though, is in power efficiency. It's embarrassing for Intel really. In a few days when proper reviews come out, we'll know more.

Again, I'm not knocking Apple here. What they've done is super impressive, but I have voiced my concerns above.

Last edited:
More expensive macbooks are still on i5, so I suppose M1 is a little slower than that.
If this is the case, our hackintoshes with i7 or i9 are still ok for a year or two :)
M1 is already faster at the time of release than i5 or i7 and even i9

Today Apple showed off the first 3 Macs featuring Apple Silicon CPUs instead of Intel CPUs specifically for macOS Big Sur. Their new ARM-based system on a chip called M1 will power the new MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro. Apple made many impressive claims about the power, speed, graphics, and battery life of these new Macs.

What do you think about today's hardware announcements?

Related:

Today Apple showed off the first 3 Macs featuring Apple Silicon CPUs instead of Intel CPUs specifically for macOS Big Sur. Their new ARM-based system on a chip called M1 will power the new MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and MacBook Pro. Apple made many impressive claims about the power, speed, graphics, and battery life of these new Macs.

What do you think about today's hardware announcements?

Related:
Lots of possibilities - more performance for less/same cost, more portability. I think Windows support will come through virtualization. I think the Mac user base will grow with this new level of performance and availability of iOS apps for dedicated uses like shopping and social media. I think Intel has hit a wall in performance and SoC’s are the future for PC’s as well as Mac’s. Intel-based systems will be supported for a long time to come, so it’s not the end of Hackintoshing, but you will have other choices to get what you need for real work. I have a MacBook Pro on order and I’m excited what it be like. This is going to be fun.

Oh, and I guess the PC architecture that we build our Hackintoshes on is now an old design. These SoC’s seem much more efficient. I like the modular systems we have as a hobby, but for real workloads, these SoC’s systems will be awesome. I already use an iPad Pro for most of my professional workloads anyway.

Oh, and I guess the PC architecture that we build our Hackintoshes on is now an old design. These SoC’s seem much more efficient. I like the modular systems we have as a hobby, but for real workloads, these SoC’s systems will be awesome. I already use an iPad Pro for most of my professional workloads anyway.

Apple is attempting to do the same thing they did for cellular phones for desktop and laptop computers. Make them a lot smaller and more energy efficient. We'll probably see a much smaller Mac Pro when it's refreshed and even a smaller Mac mini when they redesign that eventually. Will they make an even thinner and lighter MBA ? I think that they'll try to. Where this doesn't work of course is when we want bigger, higher resolution displays. Then you get 7" iPhone 12 Pros and 32" XDR displays. The refreshed iMacs will also likely both get bigger displays next year. One is expected to have a 24" display and the larger iMac a 30-32" display.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.37.30 PM.png

Last edited:
We'll probably see a much smaller Mac Pro when it's refreshed and even a smaller Mac mini when they redesign that eventually.
The thing that troubles me, is that they tried that with the Mac Pro and it didn't turn out very well. They admitted it was a mistake ("we painted ourselves into a thermal corner" they said) and gave us a big Mac Pro with lots or expansion space and thermal headroom. Now they want to make it small again?

I'm trying to figure out how can it be made half the size (as the rumors suggest) and retain the expansion slots? Maybe they'll move the CPU on the other side, along with the DIMM slots. That'll cut the height somewhat, but still not halve the size. Unless they only support half-length PCIe cards, which wouldn't be very good news.

I don't think that the priority of a, performance focused, computer tower -that spends its life sitting on the floor- is to be made as small as possible.

The thing that troubles me, is that they tried that with the Mac Pro and it didn't turn out very well. They admitted it was a mistake ("we painted ourselves into a thermal corner" they said) and gave us a big Mac Pro with lots or expansion space and thermal headroom. Now they want to make it small again?

Aren't they addressing the thermals with cooler, more efficient CPUs?

Isn't dropping Intel addressing their previous thermal issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back