Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Motherboard
Asus Z170 Deluxe
CPU
Intel Core i5-6500 (4 Cores @3.2 GHz) (Skylake)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 530 (Integrated) | PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (Discrete)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Why would content creators care about how much time and/or effort it will take developers to port their software to Arm?

You must not have seen how the M1 Macs kick Intel Macs butts.

Are you saying that Intel Macs don't have DRM?

Software and hardware developers who don't want to develop for Apple Silicon don't have to.

The M1 is designed by Apple. It's the same as AMD designing Ryzen CPUs and having TSMC manufacture them.

Yes, the M1 is based on the Arm architecture but is also highly customized. Try running Big Sur on a Raspberry Pi.

Also, the GPU is not part of the Arm architecture. That's all Apple.
ARM processors are licensed out to any company willing to pay ARM for using there design and in paying a licensing fee they get the right to modify registers and call the new design their own unlike Intel and AMD which design and distribute exclusively. The arm architecture was developed and is maintained via updates which companies need to then update their own versions.

And I have absolutely 0 doubt that within the next year someone will figure out how to get Big Sur running on a raspberry pie or even an iPad that's vulnerable to checkm8 because all ARM are fundamentally the same with respect to the 32 bit and 64 bit and so on.

Although this is nowhere near support for running macOS 11 on raspberry pie its an indication of the ability for the two devices to work together which means they can go even further and and figure out the timing differences and thus run macOS on and ARM chip which is similar to the design the M1 is using

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
ARM processors are licensed out to any company willing to pay ARM for using there design and in paying a licensing fee they get the right to modify registers and call the new design their own unlike Intel and AMD which design and distribute exclusively. The arm architecture was developed and is maintained via updates which companies need to then update their own versions.

And I have absolutely 0 doubt that within the next year someone will figure out how to get Big Sur running on a raspberry pie or even an iPad that's vulnerable to checkm8 because all ARM are fundamentally the same with respect to the 32 bit and 64 bit and so on.

Although this is nowhere near support for running macOS 11 on raspberry pie its an indication of the ability for the two devices to work together which means they can go even further and and figure out the timing differences and thus run macOS on and ARM chip which is similar to the design the M1 is using

How will they they get graphics acceleration without the GPU found in the Apple Silicon SoC?

Are you kidding me???? WTF does running a Pi as a NAS have anything to do with running macOS???

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think you are not fully understanding things about ARM. First of all some companies LIC a full package that includes cores, instruction set, etc. Apple might have done this early on with early versions of their chips in iPhones. But at some point, Apple stopped LIC the cores from ARM and started creating their own cores. So apple LIC the instruction set from ARM but the chip is a fully custom design from Apple engineers and does not use ARM cores it uses apple cores that run the ARM instruction set.

Even so, the apple ARM chip is light years ahead of Rpi.

Saying the M1 and the Rpi chips are similar; is like saying Chevy and Ferrari are similar!