Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree, this whole "The end of Hackintosh" is non sense. Seen that Logic 10.6 requires Catalina ?
I am excited to see a review somone using Logic X on a M1

Oops!... You Did It Again Apple :p

Totally agree, this whole "The end of Hackintosh" is non sense. Seen that Logic 10.6 requires Catalina ?
I am excited to see a review somone using Logic X on a M1
Although that's a today thing, it's not a tomorrow thing.

But to your point. You can't get rid of hackintosh systems that already work, just not update or support them.

OK we can make great benchmarks. But we dont buy computer for benchmarks .
Even not only for OS.
M1 macs will not have Adobe Apps. Its hard to imagine that Adobe rewrite/optimise
software for a few apple computers.
Probably lack no support for most serious apps. Thousands of apps will become
unavailable for new Macs.

Instead of this we can use IOS apps. So Adobe downgrade their M1 laptop/computer to
smartfon and add native apple software like FinalCutproX or Logic.

This is the end of mac computers . Most of the professional users will move to
Windows platform ( Of course not today or tomorrow but in a few years.

OK we can make great benchmarks. But we dont buy computer for benchmarks .
Even not only for OS.
M1 macs will not have Adobe Apps. Its hard to imagine that Adobe rewrite/optimise
software for a few apple computers.
Probably lack no support for most serious apps. Thousands of apps will become
unavailable for new Macs.

Instead of this we can use IOS apps. So Adobe downgrade their M1 laptop/computer to
smartfon and add native apple software like FinalCutproX or Logic.

This is the end of mac computers . Most of the professional users will move to
Windows platform ( Of course not today or tomorrow but in a few years.

You must not have a very good imagination but Adobe will rewrite/optimize its software to work on M1 they love apple. If you watch the video linked above they they clearly tell you that Adobe is already in the process of creating universal apps that run on both M1 and intel. In addition they have Rosetta 2 and as they claim you will not see a difference. I run a windows VM for Revit I see no speed loss when compared to running it natively on a windows machine.

This is the end of mac computers .
Apple have just produced a set of entry level machines that sell for about the same money as the Intel models, that they say are; multiple times faster, use less power and have good compatibility with current software now with better to come. Now it might be Apple bull, but the interviews with those who built these seem to show a bunch of people extremely happy with what they have achieved and confident they are on the right path.
We'll be able to judge better next week once people start reporting back but if it turns out that the hype is matched by reality it seems unlikely that Macs are finished and more likely that they provide a new lease of life to Apple, particularly in the areas which need more power.

Last edited:
This Youtuber talks about why 8GB of ram in a new M1 Mac may not produce the equivalent performance of 8GB of ram in one of the existing Intel x86 Macs.

Last edited:
This Youtuber talks about why 8GB of ram in a new M1 Mac may not produce the equivalent performance of 8GB of ram in one the existing Intel Macs.
In the previous video you posted it was very clear to me even though they did not out right say it. The reason why the M1 can get away with roughly half the memory that most people look for is that the pipeline is huge, so there is less need to que. Maybe I am understanding it wrong, but In my mind if you can push more data threw the tunnel then the line does not need to be as long.

In my mind if you can push more data threw the tunnel then the line does not need to be as long.
I think this is correct. You'll be able to do more with less ram. Big Sur will be a lot more efficient in it's use of ram. When using ram hogs like the chrome browser though, it may limit the number of tabs you could keep open. Google could care less about how much ram their browser consumes. I really doubt they'll do anything to optimize the Mac version to perform better with Big sur.

I'm looking forward to hearing from those who get one of these new Macs next week, on the topic of what the real world performance is like. How does your daily workflow go and how much ram does get used ? How often do you tap the page file and does it slow down because of that ?

Last edited:
Even if Apple abandons Intel entirely, all my Hackintosh machines will continue to work. My 2008 Atom single core Hackintosh running Leopard with 2 GB RAM works just fine. I use it rarely, but it is the machine connected to my scanner, so it serves a purpose. My 2009 Core i7 Snow Leopard, 6 GB RAM Hackintosh runs very well. It runs X-Plane 10 with high settings and good FPS. X-Plane 11 will not run on it because of the limitation of Snow Leopard. By the time my Hacks wear out, Silicon Macs will certainly have all the power and memory I will need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back