Contribute
Register

New Apple Silicon Macs: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize the fastest super computer in the world is ARM? if it was as you say ARM will never beat Ryzen then why didn't they build the super computer with Ryzen processors? I am pretty sure when Apple decides to bring their SOC to the Mac Pro it will have all the RAW power you speak of. ARM is not weaker than X86 it is just different.
But you do understand the number of nodes that specific Supercomputer has right? Compare to the number of nodes that you have on the second or third fastest supercomputer in the world. If Intel or AMD had the same nodes (probably would be ALOT more expensive) but only then i could answer your question about if it's better in supercomputers. At the end of the day is like you said...the fastest supercomputer has ARM technology maybe it's better, I'm waiting here to see :)

Here's Amazon's Arm based Graviton2 vs AMD Epyc CPUs.
This article I didn't know...it's interesting tho :D I got a new view for ARM architecture.

But you do understand the number of nodes that specific Supercomputer has right? Compare to the number of nodes that you have on the second or third fastest supercomputer in the world. If Intel or AMD had the same nodes (probably would be ALOT more expensive) but only then i could answer your question about if it's better in supercomputers. At the end of the day is like you said...the fastest supercomputer has ARM technology maybe it's better, I'm waiting here to see :)

This article I didn't know...it's interesting tho :D I got a new view for ARM architecture.

The Graviton also doesn't have HyperThreading.
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 8.14.05 AM.png

IF Intel had 32 or 64 cores, they would undoubtedly also suck down significantly more power. Really, Intel hasn't been competitive on any level for a while. It was the right time for Apple to drop Intel.

What's left out of this article is the initial cost of the CPUs. AMD 5900x with 12 cores are compared to Intel 10900K with 10 cores because of the similarities in price.

What this article shows is that Arm CPUs can and do compete on performance with X86 without problems.

Last edited:
Hackintosh always will be better solution than any origin Mac.
Special for desktop computer.
Hackintosh - more power for less money.
Apple- more power for more money.

All depends on the prices. OK macmini has now decent M1 CPU.
But upgrade memory/SSD are terrible expensive.
You don’t change anything.

Next- service cost when the warranty end. Hmmm You must drop Your
M1 to trashcan because no possible repair SoC. It will be a pain when You
buy Macmini M1 with upgrade to 2 TB drive/16 GB and for a years
will be 100% useless (

It must be noted that apple M1/ARM chip has reached its peak and is limited
by ARM technology now. Already legendary M2 , M3 or Mxxx CPUs don’t
exist in real life. Years will pass before they double or triple M1 performance…

For ARM CPU Expected peak performance uplift of up to 30% year by year
no more….So you can count when ARM catches up the Intel )

But early next year Intel release next 11 gen CPU, for a year 12 gen CPU etc.

I read about fantastic performance about M1 graphic. But lets get real.
Open geekbench OpenCL benchmark
And scroll, scroll , scroll finally is M1 chip )

Hackintosh always will be better solution than any origin Mac.
Special for desktop computer.
Hackintosh - more power for less money.
Apple- more power for more money.

Buy a Mac and everything works out of the box.
Build a hack and spend time getting macOS to work. Do you know how to get Sidecar and DRM working at the same time?

All depends on the prices. OK macmini has now decent M1 CPU.
But upgrade memory/SSD are terrible expensive.
You don’t change anything.

No argument from me. Apple has always charged too much for RAM and storage.

Next- service cost when the warranty end. Hmmm You must drop Your
M1 to trashcan because no possible repair SoC. It will be a pain when You
buy Macmini M1 with upgrade to 2 TB drive/16 GB and for a years
will be 100% useless (

Which part of an Intel 10900K is repairable?

It must be noted that apple M1/ARM chip has reached its peak and is limited
by ARM technology now. Already legendary M2 , M3 or Mxxx CPUs don’t
exist in real life. Years will pass before they double or triple M1 performance…

For ARM CPU Expected peak performance uplift of up to 30% year by year
no more….So you can count when ARM catches up the Intel )

But early next year Intel release next 11 gen CPU, for a year 12 gen CPU etc.

Reached its peak???? Where are you getting this information???? Give me some proof. Don't make up things out of thin air.

How much performance improvement did a 4 core 7th gen Intel CPU have over a 4 core 6th gen Intel CPU?
How much performance improvement did a 4 core 8th gen Intel CPU have over a 4 core 7th gen Intel CPU?
30%? You were lucky to see 3%.

It's Intel who has reached a peak on 14nm+++++++++++.

Lay off the hallucinogens.

I read about fantastic performance about M1 graphic. But lets get real.
Open geekbench OpenCL benchmark
And scroll, scroll , scroll finally is M1 chip )

Yes. It makes perfect sense to compare an IGPU with an RTX 3080.

You also forgot that an RTX 3080 has a TDP of 320W. The entire M1 SoC has a TDP of 10W.

Why don't you try comparing IGPU to IGPU, brain surgeon???

Hello Pastrychef ) I have a few hackintosh . My oldest is Lenovo (quad 8200 , 2008 year) with a very old LGA 775 and equipped with newest Catalina OS . Open twenty websides , photoshop , simple games and no problem . The power of desktop hackintosh. Of course no render on it video files )

OK below I attached screen ; You can compare ARM performance from 2015 year to 2020 and for future up to 2022.
Many folks think that apple double or triple M1 performace within a year at the most...
That's a big mistake ! No possible at all. Note that after 5 nm ARM CPU the curve flattens out. It means that it gets harder increase performance...Probably problem with heat or CPU must be larger.
So conclusion. ARM (or apple) must made desktop CPU not mobile for catch up Intel . Desktop CPU will use more power of course. It's a different technology not for ARM. Or maybe in future. A long way for ARM. Maybe this way is same as for Intel.

Attachments

• armroadmap.png
    armroadmap.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hello Pastrychef ) I have a few hackintosh . My oldest is Lenovo (quad 8200 , 2008 year) with a very old LGA 775 and equipped with newest Catalina OS . Open twenty websides , photoshop , simpel games and no problem . The power of desktop hackintosh. Of course no render on it video files )

OK below I attached screen ; You can compare ARM performance from 2015 year to 2020 and for future up to 2022.
Many folks think that apple double or triple M1 performace within a year at the most...
That's a big mistake ! No possible at all. Note that after 5 nm ARM CPU the curve flattens out. It means that it gets harder increase performance...Probably problem with heat or CPU must be larger.
So conclusion. ARM (or apple) must made desktop CPU not mobile for catch up Intel . Desktop CPU will use more power of course. It's a different technology not for ARM. Or maybe in future. A long way for ARM. Maybe this way is same as for Intel.

Here is how I look at it, everyone was complaining oh Apple is moving to ARM and everything is going to suck Apple has lost their mind... 10 days after everything is released and apple proves there new stuff is good, now everyone wants to say oh they have no where to go they are at the top of the performance curve. I promise you a company like apple did not make this change to get stuck in two years with no where to go. Especially since the change over is going to take two years.

"...Hackintosh always will be better solution than any origin Mac..."

Uh no, no way. Macs work, hack sometimes to mostly so. Not saying it's not great to make one just be serious here. Hacks are PCs not designed to run macOS. macOS is not designed to run on PCs. That Alone makes this less ideal and difficult (fun and frustrating.)

"...It must be noted that apple M1/ARM chip has reached its peak..."

Based on what? I don't think that's true.

"...Open geekbench OpenCL benchmark..."

Sigh, not supported first class for years on macOS. If that's the measure then on the wrong platform.

Sorry don't share the opinion nor the speculation stated here.

Hello Pastrychef ) I have a few hackintosh . My oldest is Lenovo (quad 8200 , 2008 year) with a very old LGA 775 and equipped with newest Catalina OS . Open twenty websides , photoshop , simple games and no problem . The power of desktop hackintosh. Of course no render on it video files )

Who's guess is that?

Here's another one... Judging by the trajectory, Intel is a goner.
7f722e15-60e6-4213-b299-915c19419b39.jpg

Source:https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/121217-arm-promises-intel-core-i5-performance-lower-power/

A lot of the complaints I'm seeing is some kind of Windows bootcamp thing or tie to recent Intel purchases. I get it, AS really blew these out of the water. Look I just spend a bundle on a 16 and the AS MacBook Air rivals it performance wise. No biggie.

Bootcamp? Give it time, maybe we see some kind of Windows support, maybe not. However, I must say, if people are really that tied to bootcamp and Windows, I would question using a Mac in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back