Contribute
Register

Network load seems to cause wide system freeze on some D3H/UD3H boards - (and probably others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I solved disabling lan on board and using sonnet card, It's weird that mavericks see it as a bluetooth card :crazy: but no more freezing.

I finally got around to installing Mavericks on a GA-Z87MX-D3H system (i7 4771, GTX 780ti, and 4x identical G Skill 4GB memory sticks). I've been using the system for many months under Windows and Linux, so I knew the hardware was solid. However after getting Mavericks running, the system would completely freeze (hard lockup, had to reset the hardware to reboot) after a few minutes whenever I downloaded anything from the Internet. Downloading any amounts of data from my local network worked fine.

I searched and read through many threads here for clues. After trying a long list of suggestions to no avail, the one thing that has made this problem go away was disabling the XMP profile in the bios, as suggested here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...7mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a-37.html#post737217

Sharing in case it helps others.

Cheers.

Update: turns out that turning off the XMP profile was not the silver bullet. It still froze the system. I came up with a simple case (combination of reading/writing large files to/from the local network, and streaming hd video from the internet) that can repeatedly and consistently freeze the system within a few minutes. I tried disabling the built-in Intel NIC, and put in a PCI-X GigE card I already had (Realtek chipset). It worked out of the box without any modifications to the system. Ran the stress test and within a few minutes it froze. So it's not the network card. Or perhaps the bug is triggered by more than one network chipset.

I did have all 4 memory slots in use. 4x 4GB sticks, all identical, G-Skill with specs matching approved memory on the supported list. I know they are good because I run the machine under Ubuntu and Win7 flawlessly, and when I built the system I ran a full memory test for 10+ hours with zero errors. But I've read here that using 4 sticks may be problematic so I removed 2 (DDR3_3 and DDR3_4), and turned the XMP Profile back on. I let the stress test run for a full afternoon in the background while using the computer for various tasks interactively and it was stable.

Again, since I have full confidence in the hardware by way of using it under other operating systems, the freezing problem has to be a software issue. Someone else suggested trying the Clover bootloader instead of Chimera. I will probably give that a go when it's time to install Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back