Contribute
Register

Network load seems to cause wide system freeze on some D3H/UD3H boards - (and probably others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77x-UD3H
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
evga GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After weeks of testing, and lately seeing more and more threads about this being made, I have finally found that these constant daily system lock-ups are being caused by excessive (or not even so much) network loads. I have noticed that this issue is most common on D3H and UD3H boards. I have seen a lot of people reporting this who have a z78/x, me myself, I have a z77x. This is rather interesting because I was sure all this time that the Atheros kext on boards of my type is just really crappy, but it seems like Atheros and AppleIntelE1000 have this issue in common.

Whether the driver is the cause or only a trigger, I'm not sure.

The question I'm asking myself here is how are we going to solve this? When I started my thread about system freezes on Mavericks I felt the problem is unique to my system, maybe a hardware failure, but to my surprise, a lot of people have came up saying they're experiencing the same issue, and even more in different threads this week alone. And we've basically come up with the same conclusion. I'm not sure how to proceed tackling the problem, I've busted my guts out several weeks to even find the thing that is triggering this. I'm no hackintosh nerd and I know even less about the OS X software and drivers. I'd appreciate if anyone that can offer some knowledge and shed some light on this let's us know. Having an unstable system is one of the most stressful things in my daily life, especially when the sole purpose of building a hackintosh was having a system we can depend on. I work on a lot of projects and I've already lost work and time because of the issue, so have probably many others. I can't understand how is this problem going so unnoticed, I don't see any "experts" on here giving any advice. I'm not saying anyone is obligated to and I'm not saying tonymacx86 is the place to come to every time your system crashes to get a quick answer, but it's sad to see I've been researching and posting about this since the last July - the day I assembled my hackintosh - and I've received almost zero technical advice. Where's this community everyone is talking about? Can't help but to feel like we're this isolated black sheep in the community that no one pays attention to because it's not their problem. /finish QQ

Right now I have a system that becomes a ticking time bomb every time I start downloading something, and I'm getting fed up with it. This wasn't worth a thousand bucks honestly. I'm determined to solve this,
but,
someone throw us a bone.

someone throw us a bone.

Have you tried AtherosL1cEthernet (1.2.3) ?

Google it for a source if you are interested.

Good Luck

Yes I have, it won't even connect me to the internet.

That's a shame, it cured freezes on one of my builds.

Oh well . . . .

Bump! Same freezing. My build and symptoms outlined here.

Been experiencing this stress every day since I've built it. I'm really trying to get this thing stable as a development machine, but so far it's a nightmare. I'd probably go as far as to remove this motherboard from the "golden build" status, given the things I've been reading and all the pain others have experienced. I, too, am beginning to feel like a black sheep with these issues. ;.;

:banghead:

:crazy:

:think:

*repeat*

The problem there is also in old gigabyte EP45-DS5 like mine. I've to try with my new mb GA-Z87X-UD5H but I suspect is the same.
Here another similar problem with another model of mb:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/121703-ut*****t-causes-freeze-mavericks-10-9-1-a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OK it freezes random with my new system too, and when there's an high load from ethernet . Someone can help us?:(

Ah yes... This issue. Well, I've sort of had a similar issue on my DS3H a while back. I just installed the Atheros kext from MB. If that fails to solve the issue or you already did that, try an old version of multibeast. I have to use MB 5.4.3 to get my ALC887 working correctly, so the same maybe true with your ethernet. BTW, I don't really use ethernet much anymore. I use A TP-Link TL-WDN4800.

:)

There's no difference between the Atheros kext in 6.0.1 and 5.4.3. Guess they just left it there because it "appeared" to work. Well, it obviously has major problems and I wish someone devoted some time to it.

killjoy, any luck yet?

Going to 2 memory chips in slots 1 and 3 (grey slots) helped immensely for me. Been freeze-free for 1 1/2 days straight. I'm thinking it has to do with Haswell's C States for power. Updated my plist to disable C States according to TonyMac's recommendation on his golden build post recently, will throw the other 2 sticks of ram in when I get home and test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back