Contribute
Register

neilhart - What is this? Old Guard EX58-UD3R into a Prodigy (mini-ITX) case?

Motherboard
msi z170i pro gaming ac, ausu z170i pro gaming, ausu z270i pro gaming
CPU
g4400, g4600,i7-6700k
Graphics
hd530,hd630
And a small note:

I installed one of these cards:

“dodocool PCI-E Express Card with USB 3.1 and Type-C Ports 15-Pin ConnectorSuperSpeed Gen II (10 Gbps) for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 Linux Kernal”

Purchased from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C59TB0I/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The speed of the Type C port is really good however on this old system, old BIOS the card is not fully initialized until the OS is up and running; meaning I could not boot an SSD that was attached via SATA to Type C adapter. Where as on current UEFI tech system the same SSD set up was bootable and the speed was very good.

Good modding,

neil
UEFI BIOS brings faster boot speed and new hardware support. BUT, as your know, I have an old GA-P67A-UD3-B3 mb, gigabyte website gives UEFI bios as version U1d. I found the UEFI bios have a bug: the pcie 4x will work down to 1x with the UEFI bios(it works 4x with F9 legacy bios) (NOTE: my all pcie 1x are empty)

May have any advice about this problem?

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i7-7700T (TDP: 35W)
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
UEFI BIOS brings faster boot speed and new hardware support. BUT, as your know, I have an old GA-P67A-UD3-B3 mb, gigabyte website gives UEFI bios as version U1d. I found the UEFI bios have a bug: the pcie 4x will work down to 1x with the UEFI bios(it works 4x with F9 legacy bios) (NOTE: my all pcie 1x are empty)

May have any advice about this problem?
Well I would upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU if you really need working UEFI and current tech features.

I have read of many issues with UEFI BIOS updates to old motherboards and IMHO it is not a good idea.

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
msi z170i pro gaming ac, ausu z170i pro gaming, ausu z270i pro gaming
CPU
g4400, g4600,i7-6700k
Graphics
hd530,hd630
Well I would upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU if you really need working UEFI and current tech features.

I have read of many issues with UEFI BIOS updates to old motherboards and IMHO it is not a good idea.

Good modding,
neil
Would you make a new macx86 with z170 chipset mb?

neilhart

Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming - ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i7-7700T (TDP: 35W)
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX960 2GB, ITX
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Would you make a new macx86 with z170 chipset mb?
Yes the Skylake CPUs and Z170/H170 chipset motherboards work well with El Capitan and Sierra. Also the Haswell CPUs and the Z97 chipset motherboards are good in that you can run Mavericks, Yosemite, El Cap and Sierra on them.

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
Gigabyte Ud3r x58A V.1
CPU
X5690
Graphics
RX 580
Hey Neilhart, very cool build. I noticed I have (almost) the same motherboard as you (x58a ud3r) and I'm following the same route with the Highpoint 640L to get SATA III speed.
I have a working install of Sierra on my Samsung 850 Pro SSD while connected to the onboard SATA II port. But today I installed the Highpoint card on one of the PCIE x8 slots and switched my SSD from the onboard SATA II port to the SATA III port on the Highpoint card. I get an x64 Exception error when trying to boot straight from my SSD, but I'm able to use my Clover USB stick to successfully boot the SSD. I created a post in the Hardware Troubleshooting section but I was wondering if you could lend any help on getting the SSD to boot on its own. Many thanks.

Last edited: