Contribute
Register

neilhart - What is this? Old Guard EX58-UD3R into a Prodigy (mini-ITX) case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a small note:

I installed one of these cards:

“dodocool PCI-E Express Card with USB 3.1 and Type-C Ports 15-Pin ConnectorSuperSpeed Gen II (10 Gbps) for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 Linux Kernal”

Purchased from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C59TB0I/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The speed of the Type C port is really good however on this old system, old BIOS the card is not fully initialized until the OS is up and running; meaning I could not boot an SSD that was attached via SATA to Type C adapter. Where as on current UEFI tech system the same SSD set up was bootable and the speed was very good.

Good modding,

neil

UEFI BIOS brings faster boot speed and new hardware support. BUT, as your know, I have an old GA-P67A-UD3-B3 mb, gigabyte website gives UEFI bios as version U1d. I found the UEFI bios have a bug: the pcie 4x will work down to 1x with the UEFI bios(it works 4x with F9 legacy bios) (NOTE: my all pcie 1x are empty)

May have any advice about this problem?

UEFI BIOS brings faster boot speed and new hardware support. BUT, as your know, I have an old GA-P67A-UD3-B3 mb, gigabyte website gives UEFI bios as version U1d. I found the UEFI bios have a bug: the pcie 4x will work down to 1x with the UEFI bios(it works 4x with F9 legacy bios) (NOTE: my all pcie 1x are empty)

May have any advice about this problem?

Well I would upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU if you really need working UEFI and current tech features.

I have read of many issues with UEFI BIOS updates to old motherboards and IMHO it is not a good idea.

Good modding,
neil

Well I would upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU if you really need working UEFI and current tech features.

I have read of many issues with UEFI BIOS updates to old motherboards and IMHO it is not a good idea.

Good modding,
neil
Would you make a new macx86 with z170 chipset mb?

Would you make a new macx86 with z170 chipset mb?

Yes the Skylake CPUs and Z170/H170 chipset motherboards work well with El Capitan and Sierra. Also the Haswell CPUs and the Z97 chipset motherboards are good in that you can run Mavericks, Yosemite, El Cap and Sierra on them.

Good modding,
neil

Hey Neilhart, very cool build. I noticed I have (almost) the same motherboard as you (x58a ud3r) and I'm following the same route with the Highpoint 640L to get SATA III speed.
I have a working install of Sierra on my Samsung 850 Pro SSD while connected to the onboard SATA II port. But today I installed the Highpoint card on one of the PCIE x8 slots and switched my SSD from the onboard SATA II port to the SATA III port on the Highpoint card. I get an x64 Exception error when trying to boot straight from my SSD, but I'm able to use my Clover USB stick to successfully boot the SSD. I created a post in the Hardware Troubleshooting section but I was wondering if you could lend any help on getting the SSD to boot on its own. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Okay folks, lit is time once again to update the OS on this old work horse!

The core of this system, the EX58-ud3r motherboard has been with me for years and has had all major OS X releases from 10.6.3 to current day 10.14.4 installed.

Today I am going to trick Mojave 10.14.6 to install via update onto a scratch 80GB hard drive that I have reformatted as GUID APFS and using SuperDuper copied over the 10.14.4 from one of the installed hard disks. I also copied the EFI folder from one of the installed drives to the clone drive.

I shut down the system. Removed the cables to the installed drives (2). And attached the cables to the cloned drive so that it was the only drive in the system. In the Clover EFI config.plist I set the default boot to the cloned drive.

I booted the system and selected software update and system updated without additional input from me. Worked great and then cloned the 10.14.6 system back onto the 10.14.4 and restored the cabling and put the system back on the shelf.

Good modding,

Neil

Okay folks, lit is time once again to update the OS on this old work horse!

The core of this system, the EX58-ud3r motherboard has been with me for years and has had all major OS X releases from 10.6.3 to current day 10.14.4 installed.

Today I am going to trick Mojave 10.14.6 to install via update onto a scratch 80GB hard drive that I have reformatted as GUID APFS and using SuperDuper copied over the 10.14.4 from one of the installed hard disks. I also copied the EFI folder from one of the installed drives to the clone drive.

I shut down the system. Removed the cables to the installed drives (2). And attached the cables to the cloned drive so that it was the only drive in the system. In the Clover EFI config.plist I set the default boot to the cloned drive.

I booted the system and selected software update and system updated without additional input from me. Worked great and then cloned the 10.14.6 system back onto the 10.14.4 and restored the cabling and put the system back on the shelf.

Good modding,

Neil
Neil have you given any thought to trying to install Catalina on your EX58 ud3r? I have used a Ud3r for my main workhorse rig since 2010 and currently have a rock solid perfectly functional 10.14.6 Mojave on this machine. I've got a slightly overclocked Xeon 5650 and a nvidia gtx760 so a MacPro 5,1 SMBIOS has been an almost perfct match for me. Obviously this SMBIOS is unsupported in Catalina. I am very interested in trying to install Catalina & I know it can be done on a real MacPro 5,1 so I see no reason our hardware should be an issue. I'd be very interested in any successes you may have in this regard.

RandomNumber I am just now planning to update one of my systems to Catalina. I will post my results on my EX58 system in due time. I just need to gain a little experience with Catalina before jumping into my older systems.

Edit 1: When i install Catalina onto the EX58 system, I will clone the current boot drive and put it aside and update to Catalina onto the clone and play around with it for a while before calling it done. While I have had good experiences usually with the initial release of a new macOS version, there is always the risk of loosing the thread. I don't need that head ache.

Edit-2: It does look as though we don't want to rush into the rev 0 Catalina release. I did the update install on my i9-9900k Z370 Mojave 10.14.6 which updated and completed with no apparent issue. I lost sound and started to experience spontaneous restarts while I was doing some basic user level setup. I cloned off a copy and then restored that system to Mojave.

neil

Last edited:
I like the way you mount PSU with 1 screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back