Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
CPU
Intel i3-7100
Graphics
Intel HD 630 Integrated
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone,

I had a Dell PC, that was running fine till today morning, and for reasons IDK, the motherboard fried. I am not sure of how and what caused it. That's irrelevant anyways.

Over to what I want to do. I am going to replace my motherboard and CPU, so was thinking if I could have some suggestions.

I already have GA-H97M-D3H in mind (Saw its name in the March's Buyer Guide too), which will cost me somewhere around $125. What do you guys think? Will it be good enough for El Capitan?

What suggestion do you have for the CPU? Actually this is what I am more concerned about, I don't really have a good budget. So any help? My total budget is approx. $225.

:clap::clap::clap:

Hey,

As of today's hackintoshes, what is really more important is the motherboard over the cpu.
As from any gigabyte boards, u can easily set the mackintosh build running perfectly (if there are no dsdts, u can generate one for yourself always and make it run by your won), and by the cpu, u can always buy any cpu (i would recommend you an i3 for starters).

So, focusing on 4th gen Intel series, first find a gigabyte motherboard in which goes by the cheapest of all, and find a core i3 chip (also the cheapest you can find) and see how much money left u have.
Aside from the cpu, u can put the rest of the money back on the motherboard, have some changes and buy some missing pieces you may need.

Thats all i can say for now, sorry can't help you with prices in which i live outside the US.

Cheers and give some feedback regarding it.

I already have GA-H97M-D3H in mind (Saw its name in the March's Buyer Guide too), which will cost me somewhere around $125. What do you guys think? Will it be good enough for El Capitan?

What suggestion do you have for the CPU? Actually this is what I am more concerned about, I don't really have a good budget. So any help? My total budget is approx. $225.

You will need a Haswell certified PSU to cope with the lower power requirements that modern hardware demands or you will get reboots or shutdowns. RAM needs to be suitable for Haswell hardware - 1333MHz or 1600MHz RAM designed for older Intel hardware isn't compatible.

You can use the March buyers guide, but you should also look at this thread for cheaper H81 options
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html

Hey,

As of today's hackintoshes, what is really more important is the motherboard over the cpu.
As from any gigabyte boards, u can easily set the mackintosh build running perfectly (if there are no dsdts, u can generate one for yourself always and make it run by your won), and by the cpu, u can always buy any cpu (i would recommend you an i3 for starters).

So, focusing on 4th gen Intel series, first find a gigabyte motherboard in which goes by the cheapest of all, and find a core i3 chip (also the cheapest you can find) and see how much money left u have.
Aside from the cpu, u can put the rest of the money back on the motherboard, have some changes and buy some missing pieces you may need.

Thats all i can say for now, sorry can't help you with prices in which i live outside the US.

Cheers and give some feedback regarding it.
Thank you so much for the quick response. :)

I gave a quick check for other Mobos that are available, but I guess I will stick to GA-H97-D3H ($123). I mean, I am not going to change the Mobo anytime soon, so I guess buying a decent one would be a better choice. It will support any 4th and 5th gen intel chips.

So, I came around i3-4130, which will cost me somewhat the same price as my Gigabyte Mobo. Is there another one which will have a lower price tag?

You will need a Haswell certified PSU to cope with the lower power requirements that modern hardware demands or you will get reboots or shutdowns. RAM needs to be suitable for Haswell hardware - 1333MHz or 1600MHz RAM designed for older Intel hardware isn't compatible.

You can use the March buyers guide, but you should also look at this thread for cheaper H81 options
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html
Thank you for helping. I will keep an eye on this thread, and also over to the March's buyer guide. :)

Hey, I could see that you are using a pentium processor, is it?
Would I be able to use G3240? It has 1150 socket, which would be compatible.

So, I came around i3-4130, which will cost me somewhat the same price as my Gigabyte Mobo. Is there another one which will have a lower price tag?

That is the base i3 model that has HD4400 graphics - there is a work around to get it working with OS X. Check the price of all the i3 processors - you might get a higher spec model for similar cost. Don't assume that the base model will always be the cheapest i3 cpu to purchase.

The following link works with desktop CPU models also.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-fix-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-hd5600-10-11-a.html

Hey, I could see that you are using a pentium processor, is it?
Would I be able to use G3240? It has 1150 socket, which would be compatible.

I don't use that processor any longer - it was updated to an i5 about two years ago. It is possible to use the older SandyBridge and IvyBridge Celeron and Pentium processors with the addition of a GPU that is supported in OS X.
The Haswell Pentium and Celeron processors did work originally in Mavericks, but there was no native support available in Yosemite. The solution at the time was to use Clover and spoof the processor ID to get around the issue. I have not seen much success being noted with El Capitan with users of these processors. I would recomend using an i3 with two cores and threading as it makes all the difference to day to day use.

That is the base i3 model that has HD4400 graphics - there is a work around to get it working with OS X. Check the price of all the i3 processors - you might get a higher spec model for similar cost. Don't assume that the base model will always be the cheapest i3 cpu to purchase.

The following link works with desktop CPU models also.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-fix-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-hd5600-10-11-a.html
Yeah, FakePCIID, I remember. So within that price range, I don't have much options other than i3-4150 or pentium processors.

Yeah, FakePCIID, I remember. So within that price range, I don't have much options other than i3-4150 or pentium processors.

The Pentium processor graphics are unsupported so add a GT610 to the cost. Remember that i3 is more powerful and also has better graphics than the GT610 - how big is the price difference?

The original thread for Celeron/Pentium installation on Yosemite using clover.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...th-speedstep-yosemite-1010-and-mavericks-109/

Other i3 socket 1150 processors to consider; i3-4130, i3-4330, i3-4350 & i3-4170
Check ebay and other online sites to see if you can find anything at an attractive price worth considering.

As a one stop option to get up and running with something quickly - consider this as a short term option until funds allow you to piece together a build that you really want without as many restrictions.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...o-e8400-affordable-customac-media-center.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back