Contribute
Register

Need help with multi beast settings! Almost there! HELP NEEDED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems weird quoting myself:think:

Dove into the interwebs and came back up this;

In a nutshell it seems the Haswell chip is handling all of the power management, and users of OEM macs are experiencing the disappearing option as well after upgrading to Mavericks. However, at the time the thread was created Apple hadn't publicly documented the change :eek:

So I was partially correct, the change came about after editing the SMC, however, I was incorrect assuming something broke. My assumption was; fans aren't spinning = system isn't going to sleep (especially in light of the change to Energy Saver), when that does not seem to be the case. I ran pmset -g in Terminal and compared my results with those of the OEM machines in the threads. They match up, which leaves me wondering if power management is working properly or am I still missing something? I'll run some more test tomorrow and report my findings.

There seems to be a modification possible to get the slider back (solution posted in the first link above). You can find the models numbers for iMac 14,n here PikerAlpha. The process seems straight forward (for hackintoshers:lol:).

I'm going to let it be for now and continue refining the build. I guess I'll have to work out another way to get the fans to match their output with the cpu.

Last but not least, follow this link if you want to know what the heck pmset is.

What you are seeing in that image is correct. I have it on several hacks here as well as with a real mac I own. The options are identical.

Having said that I didnt make any huge effort towards testing sleep on this board since I dont actually use sleep at all really. On its baby brother (Z87E-ITX) sleep works perfectly 100% and has exactly the same view as the one you show above.

Something to consider if sleep is really important is the darkwake flag. You can set this by using 'darkwake=x' where x is a value between 0 and 15 (If memory serves me right). That will mean a few reboots to test them all out but may be worth a shot.

What you are seeing in that image is correct. I have it on several hacks here as well as with a real mac I own. The options are identical.

Having said that I didnt make any huge effort towards testing sleep on this board since I dont actually use sleep at all really. On its baby brother (Z87E-ITX) sleep works perfectly 100% and has exactly the same view as the one you show above.

Something to consider if sleep is really important is the darkwake flag. You can set this by using 'darkwake=x' where x is a value between 0 and 15 (If memory serves me right). That will mean a few reboots to test them all out but may be worth a shot.

Thank you for the confirmation. After learning more about how sleep works I tried a few things.
  • checked pmset -g *Normal
  • checked pmset -g assertions * All 0, nothing interrupting sleep
  • checked pmset - g stats *Wakes present but results for sleep=0
All seemed within appropriate parameters except for the lack of sleep events.

Tried adding Hibernation for desktop through multibeast. Initially by itself and when that didn't work in combination with Darkwake=8 (this is what helped my macpro3,1 z77n wifi system). Only effect it seems to have had was breaking audio (hurray for backups).
71024d1382755839-maverick-screen-went-black-after-sleep-keyboard-mouse-cannot-wake-screen-screen.png

I will the continue working through the darkwake functions. If that doesn't solve the problem I will move on and come back to it later.

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I Would be very grateful if you could help me setup my new computer, nearly there except hdmi audio & power management.

I was hoping someone with experience in using Clover EFI can help me.

I have the same setup, except using the integrated intel hd 4600 graphics (will upgrade to r9 280x later on), OS X 10.9.4, booting full UEFI with clover r2758 (trying to get all the work done by clover inc kext inject/kext patching). I am using this to boot OS X and windows 8.1 uefi.
I have setup my bios (1.90D, thanks WonkeyDonkey) & configured clover properly as much as I can. CSM disabled, seems like the hd4600 is uefi gop.

What's working:
Graphics - I think its fully working, tested super monkey ball 2 in dolphin emu, @50fps. (Why isn't the VRAM shown in about this Mac?)
Bluetooth - Iogear 4.0 - working fully, just need to run a command in terminal for airdrop.
Audio - luckily Toleda recently released 10.9.4 patch.command, audio working but the ports in sound settings are messed up. (Is this where Toleda's customisation PDF's come in use?)

1.HDMI audio not working.

According to Toleda's guide (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverHDMI), there is not yet a clover injection for HD4600 so I'm stuck with with either ssdt/dsdt injection.
I have tried using Toleda's ssdt's, renamed as ssdt-1.aml and tried dsdt patching but get errors. Both methods are not working.

2. Power management/speedstep/sleep not working.

I have used Dr. Pikes ssdt generator, placed in efi/clover/acpi/patched & only dropoem enabled in clover configurator.
DPCImanager only reports states 8, 34 & 36??. (DPCImanager reports dmidecode error when p states button is clicked?)

The computer can sleep but when woken up, no display & restarts.
I will try messing with slpsmiatwake, suspendoverride and darkwake settings in the meantime.

Again I'de be very grateful if someone can help me here. If I can get these fixed, then I'll post this as a build & guide.
I have attached my native dsdt, ssdt and clover.plist just in case it's needed.

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    1.7 KB · Views: 117
  • config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 261
  • System DSDT.zip
    29.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I Would be very grateful if you could help me setup my new computer, nearly there except hdmi audio & power management.

I was hoping someone with experience in using Clover EFI can help me.
Hey Shaf, unfortunately I have no experience with Clover, but here is what I was able to turn up with some Google/Tonymacx86 searching. Hope it can be useful to you. I'd like to pay forward Donkey's help:thumbup:

I don't know if you're already familiar with these threads but it looks like there are some very knowledgable clover users here...

Mariolillo's Installation Guide For Using Clover on the Intel Haswell NUC

here..

Tonymacx86's
How to Install OS X Mavericks using Clover

and here..

Ultrazone's
Guide for Z77X-UD5H + Mavericks + Clover UEFI mode

If you've already read through them and have not found a suitable answer, I would encourage you to post a detail desciption in whichever thread seems most appropriate (please make sure you're familiar with and abide by Tonymacx86.com's rules for posting in mulitple threads, I don't want you to get a temperary ban for violating them).

shaf_96 said:
I have the same setup, except using the integrated intel hd 4600 graphics (will upgrade to r9 280x later on), OS X 10.9.4, booting full UEFI with clover r2758 (trying to get all the work done by clover inc kext inject/kext patching). I am using this to boot OS X and windows 8.1 uefi.

You have your MB, CPU, and Graphics listed in your profile:thumbup:, but I would suggest you give a detailed list of all the components in your build. That way whoever decides to take a crack at your questions has all the facts and can problem solve accordingly. I could have saved myself and Donkey a good deal of time had I done the same. There is a perfect example of this earlier in the thread. Sometimes components interact in weird and unexpected ways and cause unexpected problems (i.e. my 100% build guide approved PCI wireless network card causing kernel panics:crazy:).

shaf_96 said:
Audio - luckily Toleda recently released 10.9.4 patch.command, audio working but the ports in sound settings are messed up. (Is this where Toleda's customisation PDF's come in use?)

I'm sorry, I could not find anything on this specific issue, but you might want to apply it to the information below.

shaf_96 said:
1.HDMI audio not working.

According to Toleda's guide (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverHDMI), there is not yet a clover injection for HD4600 so I'm stuck with with either ssdt/dsdt injection.
I have tried using Toleda's ssdt's, renamed as ssdt-1.aml and tried dsdt patching but get errors. Both methods are not working.

Someone with your MB posted a similar question in the HDMI Support Forum...
[PROBLEM HDMI] asrock Z87m extreme 4 v1.90d + ati hd7850 and toleda refered them here Mavericks: HDMI Audio - AppleHDA.
He seems to be actively helping others troubleshoot their problems in that thread. Please be aware that he give specific instructions on asking for help...

Invalid attachment and incomplete. See Post #1, Problem Reporting; attach all requested files.

Another HDMI Audio/Clover problem thread that toleda was able to help sort out.
Loss of Audio after installing Clover Bootloader

shaf_96 said:
2. Power management/speedstep/sleep not working.

I have used Dr. Pikes ssdt generator, placed in efi/clover/acpi/patched & only dropoem enabled in clover configurator.
DPCImanager only reports states 8, 34 & 36??. (DPCImanager reports dmidecode error when p states button is clicked?)

The computer can sleep but when woken up, no display & restarts.
I will try messing with slpsmiatwake, suspendoverride and darkwake settings in the meantime.

Again, I recommend asking this question in the Clover specific threads I mentioned above, however, toleda does include Clover and power management in his Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management guide, so that might be a good place to ask as well (if the answer isn't already there). I've learned a really handy trick for finding information quickly in huge threads. In the top right hand corner, usually underneath the forward arrows is an option called "search thread." It's an awesome feature because it helps winnow through all of the irrelevant post. It's what I use to work through threads with 100+ post.

Giacomoleopardo seemed to have a similar sleep issues and with some help, was able to work out a solution.
Lost Sleep function after Clover install

shaf_96 said:
Again I'de be very grateful if someone can help me here. If I can get these fixed, then I'll post this as a build & guide.
I have attached my native dsdt, ssdt and clover.plist just in case it's needed.

Hopefully, something in this post will help you in your quest to complete your build. Good luck. :thumbup:

Success!
Memtest completed.
Stable overclock achieved.
Stress test completed.

Stock Geekbench 3 64bit
Geekbench 3 stock.png

Overclocked Geekbench 3 64bit
Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 3.03.33 AM.png

Yep, but you need to add the extra parameter that specifies the higher end value of the overclcock so it can take that into account when it is generated, otherwise it will only configure it up to the non-overclock values.

Time to generate a new SSDT.aml file:D

Donkey, I compared the new cleaned DSDT.aml you created from my original DSDT.dsl file. It was a long read. How did you know what to change and the format for those changes?

Success!
Memtest completed.
Stable overclock achieved.
Stress test completed.

Stock Geekbench 3 64bit
View attachment 99312

Overclocked Geekbench 3 64bit
View attachment 99313

Time to generate a new SSDT.aml file:D

Donkey, I compared the new cleaned DSDT.aml you created from my original DSDT.dsl file. It was a long read. How did you know what to change and the format for those changes?

Just what I have picked up over time really and from reading the forums and testing stuff out.

Your figures look good there!

:thumbup:

Just what I have picked up over time really and from reading the forums and testing stuff out.

Your figures look good there!

:thumbup:

Thanks Donkey:D The processor could go further (vcore @ 1.235), but I'm aiming to keep the fans as quite as possible so I settled on a comfy (and stable) spot between silence and performance. I'll post the actual specs in a bit.

I've been reading over at Pikes place to learn more about SSDT and came across an entry on power management (link below) where he says we can "disable EIST, Turbo and the Cn states in the (UEFI) BIOS and XCPM will still work." He then list the system definitions this applies to, which includes iMac 14,2. Could this be what is inhibiting sleep, similarly to how Internal PLL Over voltage interfered with sleep on z77/Ivy Bridge?

XNU CPU Power Management

I took a shot at creating a new SSDT.aml to match the over clock and got as far as generating the SSDT aml/dsl from the script. I understand what the help sheet is now; a legend detailing commands. But I haven't yet figured out everything that needs to be modified, or how to go about making those changes. Do you have any suggestions/advice?

Attachments

• overclock ssdt.dsl
    9.6 KB · Views: 114
hmmm, do I need to put in parameter at a time? the script is in my downloads folder, so would modifying the ssdt look something like this?

cd Downloads

./ssdtPRGen.sh -acpi [CPU0]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -board-id [Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpu type [2]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -frequency [4700]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -lfmode, [800]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -model [iMac14,2]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -logical processors

./ssdtPRGen.sh -processor model [4670k]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -turbo maximum [4700]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -tdp [84]

./ssdtPRGen.sh -xcpm mode [1]

I've been reading over at Pikes place to learn more about SSDT and came across an entry on power management (link below) where he says we can "disable EIST, Turbo and the Cn states in the (UEFI) BIOS and XCPM will still work."

Do you have any suggestions/advice?

Yes. Dont do it. I see little point in stopping other parts of the system working to enable an overclock. Did you see Apples own guide for doing this ?

If you are going to overlcock I would suggest you stick with multipliers and voltages to enable it. Dont start messing with other parts of the system unless you want to start dealing with possibly random kernel panics and crashes that are almost impossible to track down. Multipliers and voltage bumps are more than sufficient to give you a healthy performance increase.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back