Contribute
Register

Need bluetooth 4.0? Get it here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dta said:
You are right, just tried matching against 2045 family and now I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" and additionally I'm able to disable bluetooth from the menubar. I'm hoping this works as good as matching with the generic one.

I wrote a legacy kext which should be working for most devices that use Broadcom 20702 chipset. The advantage of this is that you are not messing with vanilla kexts and you don't need to patch again after an OSX update.

Update
I don't know why yet but after a few reboots I'm now getting issues with bluetooth not working as it says:
[InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 2.

Will try to find out what's causing this...

Update2
OK it was an error on my system, had nothing to do with the kext ... I messed up with some other kexts as well as my kextcache and everything went wrong... it's working now.
Can anybody else confirm that this kext is working?

What are you supposed to do with this?

Just run it with Kext Utility?

drewl said:
dta said:
You are right, just tried matching against 2045 family and now I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" and additionally I'm able to disable bluetooth from the menubar. I'm hoping this works as good as matching with the generic one.

I wrote a legacy kext which should be working for most devices that use Broadcom 20702 chipset. The advantage of this is that you are not messing with vanilla kexts and you don't need to patch again after an OSX update.

Update
I don't know why yet but after a few reboots I'm now getting issues with bluetooth not working as it says:
[InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 2.

Will try to find out what's causing this...

Update2
OK it was an error on my system, had nothing to do with the kext ... I messed up with some other kexts as well as my kextcache and everything went wrong... it's working now.
Can anybody else confirm that this kext is working?

What are you supposed to do with this?

Just run it with Kext Utility?

Yes, just install it.

I ran kext utility and dropped it in
Then ran permissions update and what not. After rebooting my bluetooth still does not work.

Am I supposed to rename it?

Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 4.32.48 PM.png

It seems to be detecting it, but under the bluetooth part is says: "No information found."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 4.32.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 4.32.48 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 307
Please check if you see some entries saying something like Broadcom... or IOBluetoothFamily in system profiler Software > Extensions. If not the kext is not loaded.

It's probably not installed correctly ... maybe Kext Utility put it into /Extra/Extensions and you have kextcache enabled. It should be installed into /System/Library/Extensions and then you should update permissions and cache.

sk_kevin66 said:
Good news! :headbang:

I'm wondering if your bluetooth keyboard can work under BIOS and Chimera/Chameleon with BCM20702?

Sadly not. I got my Apple Wireless Keyboard today and it is not working in BIOS or Chimera/Chameleon boot screen. I haven't found a 4.0 dongle yet that has HID functionality. Only 2.0 or 2.1 dongles like Belkin.

What is the word on the iogear GBU521 in ML? Anyone tried it yet? Earlier in this thread someone seemed to mention that it would work out of the box. As I am new to this, and bluetooth was my most difficult component, I was hoping to get some feedback from the pros here first before I took the ML plunge.

Thanks!

I have this dongle working pretty well in ML. Did not need to do anything. I just did a clean install and it was working right away.

I have Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Magic Trackpad all working at the same time.

I did notice that the lack of range can make the mouse studder and skip on occasion. So I used a USB extension cable and some cable clamps and permanently mounted the dongle right above my keyboard drawer. Range is no longer an issue.

e2c8aa9f.jpg

There is an issue just like most other dongles I've tried where it will not work after waking from sleep. I may be wrong but it is my belief that this has more to do with my Gigabyte motherboard and its handling of USB and not so much the dongle itself.

My solution for now is not to use sleep. For my purposes, this machine isn't doing any mission critical work so the additional time it takes doing a cold boot (vs. wake from sleep) isn't a big deal.

EDIT: I unchecked "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" and now the bluetooth devices are available immediately upon wake and are no longer losing connection. Now i can use sleep, just have to wake with the power button. Not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction...

EDIT #2: After further testing, I am now able to keep "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" checked and can wake the machine with the Bluetooth devices.

There have been a couple instances when the machine was not shut down property, where the Bluetooth devices did not work properly upon reboot. Once was during a rain storm when my home lost power briefly, and another was an unexpected restart when I was trying to install a VM with Parallels (due to not having Virtualization enabled in the BIOS).

Both of these times all it took to get Bluetooth working again was to unplug the dongle for about 5 seconds and then plug it back in.

I installed your kext and everything is working great! Thanks a lot!

Just to re-iterate to everyone that this dongle now works native without any needed extra kext or edits in ML. Plug it in and it works. And mine continues to work like a champ with full wake from sleep ability, multi device concurrent pairing, decent signal range and no quirks i have noticed.
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back