I want to build budget mac:
4 cores (core i5)
no external graphics
integrated wifi on motherboard
8 gb of ram
mini itx (optional).
OS X: 10.8
main usage: coding, browsing, some Pro Tools/Cubase/audio

I was looking through october's buyer's guide, and I was thinking about: core i5-4570, GA-Z87N-WIFI motherboard (with wifi on it).

So I have some quistions:
1) I saw some threads about some bugs in intel hd 4600. Is it worth it? Or should i buy setup with proven intel hd 4000? I really dont need any external video. I don't play games, I don't do any photoshop. Just coding and browsing.
2) Do i really need corsair RAM? I know that its really good, but it a little bit pricey for me. Can I use any other ram?
3) What about this motherboard? Is it good? I've read that it's good and fit for my needs well.

and the main 4th question
4) Do i really need Haswell? This platform is fresh new, but I think for my needs Third generation of Core-i5 would be ok. As i've said: bugs with hd 4600, fresh platform, but on the other hand Haswell is really good.

Thank in advance!

So I have some quistions:
1) I saw some threads about some bugs in intel hd 4600. Is it worth it? Or should i buy setup with proven intel hd 4000? I really dont need any external video. I don't play games, I don't do any photoshop. Just coding and browsing.
2) Do i really need corsair RAM? I know that its really good, but it a little bit pricey for me. Can I use any other ram?
3) What about this motherboard? Is it good? I've read that it's good and fit for my needs well.

and the main 4th question
4) Do i really need Haswell? This platform is fresh new, but I think for my needs Third generation of Core-i5 would be ok. As i've said: bugs with hd 4600, fresh platform, but on the other hand Haswell is really good.

Thank in advance!
Corsair ram is good and is recommended, but just about any name-brand ram will also work - Adata, Crucial, G-skill, any of the major manufacturers.

For what you want to do, save yourself some $$ and go with http://www.tonymacx86.com/375-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2013.html#mini

Core i3 (only two cores). I think it would not enough.
Need external wifi. (cost of external wifi is near $ difference between z77 and z87 motherboards)

By the way. Is there any limitation about amount of RAM in OS X, I mean in 32bit Windows there is only ~3.2GB available. And I want 8 gigs, is ot OK in OS X? I'm not very familiar with this topic.

Corsair ram is good and is recommended, but just about any name-brand ram will also work - Adata, Crucial, G-skill, any of the major manufacturers.

For what you want to do, save yourself some $$ and go with http://www.tonymacx86.com/375-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-august-2013.html#mini

Core i3 (only two cores). I think it would not enough.
Need external wifi. (cost of external wifi is near $ difference between z77 and z87 motherboards)

By the way. Is there any limitation about amount of RAM in OS X, I mean in 32bit Windows there is only ~3.2GB available. And I want 8 gigs, is ot OK in OS X? I'm not very familiar with this topic.
For WiFi, replace onboard half-height PCIe card with http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AR5BHB92-Dual-band-802-11b-Toshiba/dp/B009HN63QQ/

No limit for RAM in OS X. RAM limit is in Windows 32bit only. Windows 64 bit has no limit in the OS, only limit is how much the mainboard will support, usually 8Gb per slot on retail boards. Some server boards have 16Gb RAM slots, but a 16Gb stick is $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back