Contribute
Register

Need advice on this hackintosh/gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am building a new custom pc and needed some advice.

Goals
=====
1) Main goal is to use it as a hackintosh

I am a professional software developer and currently I develop apps (iOS, nodejs etc) on a MacBook Air 13 inch, which works out just fine, but I do feel a slight sluggishness while I am using a lot of apps at the same time.

This hackintosh will only be used for coding purposes, and occasionally recording of video tutorials (so I should be able to use Camtasia and its video editor).

2) Secondary goal is to use it as a gaming machine

I occasionally (few hours a week) play video games on PS4. I would like to replace that ps4 by this build. I am constantly blown away even by ps4 graphics, so I think I don't need a very high end gaming experience. Also, I don't need VR gaming support.

3) To test apps in different os
Multi boot. Windows/Several Linuxes/Hackintosh. All linux can go in an internal sata hard drive. Windows and mac will each have a dedicated ssd.

Current parts list
==================
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
2x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

And "IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521)" for Bluetooth adapter

Questions
=========
1) I am pretty sure that I will not overclock that i7 6700K. I just added it in place of i7-6700 because there wasn't much difference in cost. If I choose 6700 instead of 6700K will I be able to drop that Corsair H60 cooler entirely? If yes then I can get i7 6700 and drop the cooler.

2) I am certain that I will never use dual graphic cards in sli. Is gigabyte gaming 5 an overkill in this situation? I feel like that I can save some money on motherboard.

3) Is 650w PSU an overkill if I don't intend to overclock or do SLI?

4) Is the Cooler Master Pro5 an overkill?

5) I copied above list almost exactly from "CustoMac Pro" in https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/september/2016
All those components are supposed to work well together for hackintosh.

I just increased graphic card to ASUS Strix GTX 960 and changed case to Cooler Master Pro5.

Are there any conflicts in my build that I missed?

6) I currently own Dell S2340l 23 inch 60Hz monitor. I am thinking of adding another monitor for a dual monitor setup (used for non gaming purposes).

With GTX 960 I don't think I will need 144 hz monitor (its unlikely it will reach that many fps on high settings). Should I buy a Samsung curved 60Hz 27 inch monitor or go with a bigger 144 Hz flat monitor? I intent to use this new monitor for gaming. And dual monitor setup for other things. Is 144Hz monitor good for non gaming purposes too?

7) I currently use apple magic trackpad and keyboard. Which I intent to use for non gaming use. Please suggest a good enough gaming mouse/keyboard (not into competitive shooters). Logitech G100s Wired Gaming Combo looked fine to me.

8) I already have Playstation Gold headset which I am planning to keep (USB).

I feel like that I can reduce cost by adjusting my motherboard, PSU watts, and computer case. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I am pretty sure that I will not overclock that i7 6700K. I just added it in place of i7-6700 because there wasn't much difference in cost. If I choose 6700 instead of 6700K will I be able to drop that Corsair H60 cooler entirely? If yes then I can get i7 6700 and drop the cooler.

Even if you use an i7-6700K, you can use a different cooler. I believe all the non-"K" Skylake CPUs come with a basic CPU heatsink. "K" models do not so you much choose your own.

2) I am certain that I will never use dual graphic cards in sli. Is gigabyte gaming 5 an overkill in this situation? I feel like that I can save some money on motherboard.

If you look at the Buyer's Guide, there are many, many motherboards you can choose from.

If you search online for "power supply calculator", you will find many sites that help you calculate how large of a power supply you will need. I suggest try a few different ones to get an idea of what you need. I also recommend adding a bit to what is recommended so you have a bit of headroom for future expansion.

Computer cases come in an infinite variety of sizes, quality, and price. You have to determine which you like (aesthetically and quality-wise), whether you like the mounting locations for fans, etc.

5) I copied above list almost exactly from "CustoMac Pro" in https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/september/2016
All those components are supposed to work well together for hackintosh.

I just increased graphic card to ASUS Strix GTX 960 and changed case to Cooler Master Pro5.

Are there any conflicts in my build that I missed?

Any of the graphics cards in the Buyer's Guide will work in hackintoshes.

6) I currently own Dell S2340l 23 inch 60Hz monitor. I am thinking of adding another monitor for a dual monitor setup (used for non gaming purposes).

With GTX 960 I don't think I will need 144 hz monitor (its unlikely it will reach that many fps on high settings). Should I buy a Samsung curved 60Hz 27 inch monitor or go with a bigger 144 Hz flat monitor? I intent to use this new monitor for gaming. And dual monitor setup for other things. Is 144Hz monitor good for non gaming purposes too?

That's personal preference. Get whatever your eyes are comfortable with.

7) I currently use apple magic trackpad and keyboard. Which I intent to use for non gaming use. Please suggest a good enough gaming mouse/keyboard (not into competitive shooters). Logitech G100s Wired Gaming Combo looked fine to me.

I don't have any experience with "gaming" keyboard/mice.

8) I already have Playstation Gold headset which I am planning to keep (USB).

I feel like that I can reduce cost by adjusting my motherboard, PSU watts, and computer case. Thoughts?

There are lots of inexpensive computer cases that you can choose from. They may not be as high quality as expensive ones and may lack some convenience features, but once installed, they should be fine.

Power supplies have ratings, i.e. Silver, Gold, etc. Here is an explanation of the differences. You can choose which you like.

The answer is YES.. even more you can switch the motherboard to aH170 chipset variant saving some more extra money

What Pastrychef said ...

I like to have some extra headroom for my PSU... reason 1 ) Reduce stress on components reason 2 0 I like quiet computing so if I can prevent the PSU fan from running high-speed ...

I just paid close to $200 CDN for a keyboard so .... it is all a matter of preferences

60Hz vs 144Hz .. the real question : Go to a monitor store and try to identify the 144Hz without reading the specs .. can you really tell the difference ...

but if you are gonna get a 144Hz monitor ..you might wanna have a look at G-Sync monitors (G-Sync not supported in OS X)

The latest Nvidia web drivers seem to have added G-SYNC support. I have never tested it.
Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 4.24.45 PM.png

Even if you use an i7-6700K, you can use a different cooler. I believe all the non-"K" Skylake CPUs come with a basic CPU heatsink. "K" models do not so you much choose your own.

If you look at the Buyer's Guide, there are many, many motherboards you can choose from.

If you search online for "power supply calculator", you will find many sites that help you calculate how large of a power supply you will need. I suggest try a few different ones to get an idea of what you need. I also recommend adding a bit to what is recommended so you have a bit of headroom for future expansion.

Computer cases come in an infinite variety of sizes, quality, and price. You have to determine which you like (aesthetically and quality-wise), whether you like the mounting locations for fans, etc.

Any of the graphics cards in the Buyer's Guide will work in hackintoshes.

That's personal preference. Get whatever your eyes are comfortable with.

I don't have any experience with "gaming" keyboard/mice.

There are lots of inexpensive computer cases that you can choose from. They may not be as high quality as expensive ones and may lack some convenience features, but once installed, they should be fine.

Power supplies have ratings, i.e. Silver, Gold, etc. Here is an explanation of the differences. You can choose which you like.

Thanks. I am planning to go with i7 6700 because I don't need to overclock. Also, makes sense to keep psu at 650W for future extensions.

The answer is YES.. even more you can switch the motherboard to aH170 chipset variant saving some more extra money

What Pastrychef said ...

I like to have some extra headroom for my PSU... reason 1 ) Reduce stress on components reason 2 0 I like quiet computing so if I can prevent the PSU fan from running high-speed ...

I just paid close to $200 CDN for a keyboard so .... it is all a matter of preferences

60Hz vs 144Hz .. the real question : Go to a monitor store and try to identify the 144Hz without reading the specs .. can you really tell the difference ...

but if you are gonna get a 144Hz monitor ..you might wanna have a look at G-Sync monitors (G-Sync not supported in OS X)
Thanks. I will checkout gsync monitors and h170 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back