Gigabyte Z170X-UH3
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi guys,

I am using my old mid-2012 15'' RMBP (2.3G i7 + 16Gb RAM + GT650M 1G + 256Gb SSD) and find it a little slow and running out of storage, so I am thinking to build a new hackintosh. My daily work involves heavy SAS (the statistical software) usage with large databases, R, Matlab, Mathemetica, MySQL, and Python and C++ occasionally. So I really need the scientific computations fast. But I am not a video editing or photographer or AE guy, so GPU performance may not be very important to me. And I still want to watch 4k videos sometimes. So below is my shopping list, may I have your advice on this list? Are those parts compatible? And am I overshooting on any parts? Thank you in advance, any thoughts are appreciated!

========================================
CPU: i7-7700K

MoBo: GA-z270x-UD5
(I know from the latest posts that 7th gen CPUs are not native in Mac yet, but I would give it a shot :) Plus the price difference between 6700k + Z170 and 7700K + Z270 is pretty small.)

Graphic Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5

CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III

PSU: Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4

WIFI + BT: Fenvi Wireless Network mini PCI-E Card to Desktop PCI-E Adapter Converter + PCI-E Low Profile
========================================

I noticed from some posts that after installation of Mac OS, sleep and sound might be a problem. Do you think this configuration will have these problems?

Thank you very much!

I believe sound is more flaky on 270 but don't hold me to it. I'm planning a 270 build myself soon to test out new boards. I'm kind of waiting for the native support for Kaby so we don't have spoofing but it's not a big deal.

Then I personally can't wait for x299, but that's a whole other game.

I believe sound is more flaky on 270 but don't hold me to it. I'm planning a 270 build myself soon to test out new boards. I'm kind of waiting for the native support for Kaby so we don't have spoofing but it's not a big deal.

Then I personally can't wait for x299, but that's a whole other game.

Thank you very much for your reply! So you mean there might be a sound problem with 270 + 7700k? Do you think after 7th gen CPU is natively supported by Apple, will this problem be solved? I'm thinking to run Windows first for the first few months and wait for Apple to support Kaby Lake. And after all is native in Mac, I will turn the machine into hackintosh.

It's not the 7700 that is the issue so native CPU support won't help. A lot of the new boards have new sound chips that I don't think are supported. The new Alsa chips are getting there and I know works in Linux, but I haven't yet hacked a kaby lake to see. The creative gaming I think are not supported.

Thank you very much for your reply! So you mean there might be a sound problem with 270 + 7700k? Do you think after 7th gen CPU is natively supported by Apple, will this problem be solved? I'm thinking to run Windows first for the first few months and wait for Apple to support Kaby Lake. And after all is native in Mac, I will turn the machine into hackintosh.

It's not the 7700 that is the issue so native CPU support won't help. A lot of the new boards have new sound chips that I don't think are supported. The new Alsa chips are getting there and I know works in Linux, but I haven't yet hacked a kaby lake to see. The creative gaming I think are not supported.

So you mean the sound issue if a problem of the MoBo? What if I use Z170 instead of Z270? Will sound still be an issue? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, I am completely new to hackintosh community :)

Not s stupid question at all. So it's easier at this time to use z170 and skylake since it's supported. Might not be s bad choice for a first hackintosh. They work very well.

So the issue with sound is the chipsets. The gaming boards are the most difficult. I can personally say I've been successful with the z170 gigabyte Ultra Durable boards with the alsa chipsets. You do get an occasional hiccup when you need to use the nvidia GPU and hdmi but it's far easier than others.

So you mean the sound issue if a problem of the MoBo? What if I use Z170 instead of Z270? Will sound still be an issue? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, I am completely new to hackintosh community :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back