Graphics
MSI TF GTX 780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have 3 monitors and I'm sick of switching between them. I have two desktop monitors(dvi) and one tv(hdmi). I would like to buy a GTX 680, but I don't have the cash right now.

Combing through the threads here about getting 3 monitors to work on a GTX 480, the most common answer is NO and to get another graphics card for the third monitor. So here we are.

My computer specs are:

GB Z68x UD4 B3 LINK
Intel SB 2600k
Zotac GTX 480 (has two DVI, one mini HDMI)
16gb ram
FW800 PCI card (currently in the secondary x16 slot)
Snow Leopard

Now here is the problem. My FW800 card gives me issues when slotted in to anything other than the secondary x16 slot(making them both x8, but that's another story). So is there a card that will run a 1920x1080 monitor through DVI that will go into the PCIe x1? Or should i try to find a FW800 PCI card that works in the x1?

I only need the third monitor for bins and various things. Don't need it for gaming or color correcting. Mostly web surfing and using it as a bin for things like FCP or Logic.

I would hope that since this is a hackintosh forum, that I can get advice on something that will work for both Windows and OSX
I gather that might be tough. Any suggestions would be helpful!

What about an adapter like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Multiple-2048x1152-1920x1200-DisplayLink/dp/B0038P1TP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327370366&sr=1-1

I appreciate your response and that list gave me a great place to start. Was not hoping for the "it might work" type of answer, but that's how this type of work goes!

I guess I will have to attempt it and see how it goes.

That's pretty much how it goes in the Hackintosh world! ;) But yeah, the reason I said so was that didn't feel like checking off every card (or chipset) against the compatibility guide in the wiki, or the user builds. But I hope you will find a match. :)

Wow. That's awesome for everyone that has Mountain Lion.

As I stated in my original post, Snow Leopard is my current system. I use some specific apps for work that are only partial compatibility in Lion and ML. So for the time being, I'll just order another card until I update down the road.

So I ordered this card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D08R2W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

and it's not working so well. Works great in Windows 7(instantly, of course), but my MAC side crash when it tries to load the graphics card(s).

Any thoughts on kexts to try or anything? It goes through the bios, loads up MAC, then crashes after the APPLE symbol loading screen, which makes me think it's the graphics.

I also have a GTX 480 as my main card in the x16 slot, so hopefully anything I try won't mess with that.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back