CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone. I'm starting a custo mac mini project with a HTPC case, with a microATX motherboard and intel HD4000. I'm very interested in getting ethernet network to work as close as possible as my last mac mini, I mean, I'd love to wake for network access to work, so my apple TV can wake this machine when looks for my media library. So, is there any motherboard with ethernet chip with native support in ML, or any ethernet add-on card I could use? What ethernet chip does new Macs use? I also haven't found a miniITX motherboard for ivy bridge, therfore I'm considering a bigger case that will fit microATX. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I give the thumbs up to the Sonnet Presto.
Uses Apple's own native Yukon2.kext. Everything works (WOL), doesn't interfere with sleep/wakeup, etc. It's NATIVE Kext baby!

Thanks Powerpcg5, I pressed the buy button so new card will be here Wed. !!!

Thanks man, that is great NEWS. Is waking for network access working 100%. Thanks again.

I give the thumbs up to the Sonnet Presto.
Uses Apple's own native Yukon2.kext. Everything works (WOL), doesn't interfere with sleep/wakeup, etc. It's NATIVE Kext baby!

Thanks man, that is great NEWS. Is waking for network access working 100%. Can you wake your hack by just clicking on it in another mac/hack finder?. Thanks again.

I run AirVideo Server on this hack (to stream movies to ipods, iphones via wi-fi) and I can wake it up remotely from an iPhone App (using Awake app, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awake/id295747953?mt=8 ).

Thanks again Powerpcg5. I'm planning to build a hack to substitute my Mac mini (recently sold). My mini worked as a Plex Server, and with my iPad and iPhone I could wake the mini just by starting the plex app in my iOS device, without the need to wake it before, with any other app before. Also, my Apple TV 2g wakes the mini when I access Plex client in the Apple TV. If I use my hackintosh as server, I have to always wake it with some other app, like you described before; so, what I'd loved is my hackintosh to wake on demand, any time that a Plex client looks for the Plex server, like the Mac mini did. Not that I'm lazy, it's because my wife and kids don't use iOS devices (iphone, ipad, ipod) so when they use the Apple Tv for Plex, they would have to manually wake the hackintosh; and also, the integration of all the devices using the mini's wake on demand feature is just great.
I almost had that kind of function with Lnx2mac kext for my hachintosh ethernet chip, but It did't work a 100%, and gave a lot of trouble after a while. Therefore, I'd loved a Ethernet card with native support in Mac Os in wich I could use without any extra kext the wake on demand feature.
Does your hack show that option in the energy saver settings?
Does another mac shows your hackintosh in Finder even when the hack is asleep (asuming in the image bellow, that My.iMac is a sleeping hackintosh)?
Thanks again for your responses and patience.

Attachments

• EnergySaver.jpg
    EnergySaver.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 395
  • shapeimage_3.png
    shapeimage_3.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 300
Does your hack show that option in the energy saver settings?

Yes.

Does another mac shows your hackintosh in Finder even when the hack is asleep (asuming in the image bellow, that My.iMac is a sleeping hackintosh)?

No. It disappears on the other iMac's Finder when the hack goes to sleep.

Just want to add that even on a real iMac that's asleep, I can't connect to the iMac remotely (from Finder) once it goes to sleep.

But an Apple Remote Desktop program can wake computers from sleep remotely. See page 146
http://images.apple.com/remotedesktop/pdf/ARD_Admin_Guide_v3.3.pdf
Select computer from list
Choose Manage > Wake
Click Wake

Thanks a lot. What probably happened when I had the mini, is the my ATV2 was working as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy Server, and that's why I could wake the mini through finder. Actually, it still happens like that with my macbook air while on power adapter; I just gave it a try; if I disconnect the ATV2, Macbook Air disappears from my Hack finder after a while, and can not wake it through finder.
Thanks again.
I'm waiting for MB and CPU to arrive, so I can build my new HTPC and I'll give it a try with Lnx2mac kext, if it doesn't work I'll be ordering the ethernet card you recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back