Contribute
Register

My Windows 11 Experiment

Just added another WD SN850X 1 TB NVMe SSD, this time to the bottom side of the ASUS B760i mobo. Everything still works, except the new SSD does not show up in File Explorer. I'm guessing it needs to be formatted. Is the best way to do that with the Windows 11 installer? Or is there a safer or easier way? I do have "Mini-tool Shadowmaker," but the SSD doesn't show up in that app either. I don't want to "clone" the System, just format the disk so it can be used for backing up data.

Thanks for any advice!
Hello,
Microsoft has something that might help you (disk management )

Cheers :)

Microsoft has something that might help you (disk management )
Thanks very much for that link,Cosmix, I didn't even know such an app was built into Windows. I guess to find it one types its filename into the Search window... can't seem to find it otherwise.

I bookmarked the link and will study it; thanks again!

Thanks very much for that link,Cosmix, I didn't even know such an app was built into Windows. I guess to find it one types its filename into the Search window... can't seem to find it otherwise.

I bookmarked the link and will study it; thanks again!

The Run Dialog in Windows is used to directly open any applications or files.
So you can launch this Run box to access it.

Step 1. Press the Windows + R shortcut to wake the Run dialog.

Step 2. Type "diskmgmt.msc" in the open field and click the OK button.

1710525901883.png

The Disk Management will run instantly.

Thanks again, Cosmix. I did that (info in the link) and it worked fine, although "Win+R" doesn't work on a Mac extended keyboard; however "Command+R" does. I was able to format my backup WD SN850X as GDP, but it still didn't show up as mounted. (It was "unallocated.") I found I had to go through another procedure to assign a "simple volume" to it and name it "D." That finally worked, and I succeeded in using Mini-Tool Shadowmaker to back up my primary disk from "C" to an "image" file on "D." Then for some unknown reason I found I had two copies of Minitool Shadowmaker on my "C" disk, one in "Programs (x86)" where it should have been, and one in the root of the "C" drive. (I think I hate Windows.) So I deleted one, and found that the remaining one will only run in Trial mode, and wants me to buy it all over again. And the beat goes on...

[Edit: Minitool Support sent me a new download and product key for Shadowmaker, and now it's up and running. All is now cool.]

Last edited:
My "Alder" ("Mini-ITX 5") computer has been running well. All the games play well without stuttering, Windows Update works occasionally as an "auto update" and power usage seems normal. Idle is around 44 watts, and game playing consumes around 105-125 watts, depending on which game and what's happening in the game. Windows seems to update somewhat frequently. I know little about what's happening under the hood, but have not had any problems using this computer so far. I now have some nice "Microsoft Bing" wallpaper which changes daily. So far I have played through Cyan's re-made "Myst" game, which uses the Unreal 2 engine and allows real-time movement, unlike the original 1993 Myst, which is point-and-click. I am presently re-playing the 1997 version of Riven, Cyan's first Myst sequel. This one is pre-rendered point-and-click. I understand Cyan is re-making Riven also, but it's not released yet. I plan on trying out all the Windows versions of the games that I've played on my Hackintoshes, over the next year(s).

The Run Dialog in Windows is used to directly open any applications or files.
So you can launch this Run box to access it.

Step 1. Press the Windows + R shortcut to wake the Run dialog.

Step 2. Type "diskmgmt.msc" in the open field and click the OK button.

View attachment 579852

The Disk Management will run instantly.
Using the Run dialog again?

I would just right-click the Start button and then click "Disk Management". At least it works that way in Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7. If like me you installed a start menu replacement like Classic Shell or Open Shell, then hold down the Shift key and right-click the Start button.

Personally I don't like using the Run dialog all the time. I prefer using the GUI whenever I can.

Back