Contribute
Register

My LG OLED screen is malfunctioning, while the other monitor is functioning flawlessly on macOS Ventura 13.6.5

Motherboard
Laptop > Need Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-6500U
Graphics
Intel HD 520
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my LG OLED TV when I connect it to my Mini PC set up as a Hackintosh. The display looks weird, but it's fine when I connect the Mini PC to my BenQ monitor.

Basically, I followed some YouTube tutorials to set up the Mini PC as a Hackintosh. It mostly worked, but when I connect it to the LG TV, the text is too small, the top menu doesn't fit on the screen properly, and the screen flickers when I set refresh rate to 120 Hz but that gets fixed when I change it to 60 Hz.

So to fix that top menu screen fit issue I have tried using a tool called BetterDisplay, but I ended up making things worse. Now, when I connect to the LG TV, the display is messed up like shown in the picture below. But it's fine on the BenQ monitor.

I've tried different HDMI cables and uninstalling BetterDisplay, but nothing seems to work with the LG TV.

Can you help me figure out what's going wrong and how to fix it?

Screen look like this on my LG Oled TV
LG Screen issue.jpg

At the same time everything is fine if I connect it to my BenQ Monitor
BenQ Working.jpg

This is my Mini PC Config below with CoreTM i7 6500U model with Intel HD 520
Mini PC.png

Never mind, I found the fix by doing Exhaustive reset of BetterDisplay but the only reason i have tried this tool before is to fix that problem of the top menu bar, check the screenshot below so you can get the idea about that issue.

scree fit issue.jpg

There is one more problem, As you can see in the screenshot above my default resolution is 1920x1080 (60Hz) so if I keep that way then my screen flickers but if I change it to 2560x1440 at 60Hz then flickering gets fixed but things become too small and little blurrish also maybe because in bracket it is mention there "low resolution" and I don't know why...I am clueless at the moment about how to get this working with proper screen fit on my LG Oled. One more thing if I select 2560x1440 then I also get an option to select 120 Hz refresh rate but screen flickers with it. everything looks so perfect on my small BenQ gaming monitor but I like to work on my Big Oled Screen. Can somebody please help to get the perfect setting to make this working? Thanks

Okay, this screen fit issue fixed now by using that "Underscan" option, Such a noob I am :crazy: it was there always but I didn't noticed.

I know asking too much from this Intel HD 520 but Is there any way to make things working without flickering with 120 Hz Refresh rate. Currently I set at 1920x1080 at 60 Hz and seems all working good but if I go little higher in resolution and refresh rate then it will be great :cool:

The Intel HD 520 only supports 4K resolution @60Hz through the DisplayPort. Your HDMI connection will only support 4K@24Hz.

You may need to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter/cable to get a better resolution on your TV. You need to make sure you get one that supports 4K@60Hz. The adapter linked below might work.

The Intel HD 520 only supports 4K resolution @60Hz through the DisplayPort. Your HDMI connection will only support 4K@24Hz.

You may need to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter/cable to get a better resolution on your TV. You need to make sure you get one that supports 4K@60Hz. The adapter linked below might work.

Thanks, Do you know what is the reason behind writing like 2560x1440 ( Low Resolution )...I want to know why it says Low resolution in bracket. This is the only resolution allow me to select 120 Hz Refresh it. I must say it feels really fast with 120 Refresh rate but screen also flickers...Is there any way to stop this flickering with 120 Hz. I am happy with this 2560x1440 but just want this flickering to get stopped

There are a number of possible causes for the flickering. Poor quality cable, damaged or loose connectors on cable, Hack or TV to name the most common. There is no way for us to know which of these could be the cause, as we have no way to test any of these possible causes.

Does the flickering occur when using @60Hz refresh rate? If not, that might point a finger at the cable quality being an issue, as not all cables are created equal.

Probably says ‘low resolution’ as it expects you to use 4K not 2K resolution.

Back