Graphics
Vega 8
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
** Update on Stability of Asus ROG Strix Z690-i WiFi mini-ITX System **

Despite increasing the speed of VRM fan, I continued to experience periodic total system crashes in both macOS and Windows. Thinking I may have applied too much thermal paste and the CPU was experiencing periodic heat-related problems, I decided to remove the CPU, replace the thermal paste, and reinstall it.

There was indeed a bit too much paste, but not enough to cause system instability. Nevertheless I applied a thinner amount, which actually led to reduced CPU temps.

Idle temps:
View attachment 551764 View attachment 551765

But those pesky total system crashes occurred again.

Although I ran MemTest sometime ago (for only a few minutes) with no errors reported, I decided to replace both memory modules with those from my Asus ProArt Z690-Creator. And so far the system has been solid, but I'll stress this thing out and report the outcome.

View attachment 551712

Update 1:
Just installed the suspicious DDR5 memory modules into the ProArt Z690-Creator and macOS crashed on first boot right after logging in. Now filing an RMA with G.Skill...

Update 2:
Over 5 hours on uptime now. No crashes.

View attachment 551718

Update 3:
20 hours without crash.

View attachment 551767

Update 4:
Over 26 hours now without a problem. Numerous sleep/wake cycles performed flawlessly. Case closed: Replacing the two DIMMs has solved the problem. Now I'm totally satisfied with my first and only mini-ITX build!
View attachment 551786
Dear CaseySJ, and everyone. Thanks a lot for your build and all effort on sharing this project to community.

I would like to build my first mini-ITX system like CaseySJ’s build. I’ve bought so far as follows:
Now Im concerning about which Ram is the most suitable for this build: should it be the same as follows or something else better?
For SSD, I will try to utilize the SK Hynix NVME from my Dell optiplex.
For wifi, I will use the adapter to macbook air wifi card. As I know so far, Apple supports this card until Ventura, and cut it off since Sonoma. So I will go on with Ventura first.

This thread is a long one and I couldn’t manage to find the EFI latest version for Ventura. Could someone help me with a link to Casey’s EFI? Thanks a lot.

This thread is a long one and I couldn’t manage to find the EFI latest version for Ventura. Could someone help me with a link to Casey’s EFI? Thanks a lot.

As my school-teacher used to say: "Must try harder!" :thumbup:

Follow your own Replys to:

Post #1068

Stay in at Play-time and do extra lines!! :D

Back