Contribute
Register

My First Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as the tittle suggest I am going to attempt to make my very own hackintosh. I built my windows PC about 4 years ago now and well its starting to show its age.
I have always preferred OS X but buying a mac for retail is nuts and I could never bring myself to do it. So thus my quest begins. I plan on cannibalising the PSU, Case, Optical Drive , GPU and the hard drives from my previous build. I plan on dual booting as gaming duties will still be handled by Windows.

Planned Build is as follows.
Intel Core i5 6500 (I have no interest in overclocking so that is why I chose this.)
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP (Saw this on the buyers guide)
AMD Radeon R9 380 ( A little sceptical but I just bought this only a few months ago and I would rather not buy another GPU)
16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 memory (Saw this on the buyers guide)
OCZ TR150 240GB SSD ( I know its not the greatest but I have always have had a soft spot for OCZ)

Anyway tell me what you think and what problems may arise with this build. Somehow I know my GPU will be a problem but I want something that will just work out of the box. At least that is the goal.

THANKS!!!

If your PSU is 4 years old suggest a new PSU - today's CPUs use a lot less power at S3/S4 than older CPUs and an older PSU might shut down on you when your builds goes to sleep. This was a problem when Haswell CPUs first came out - you had to make sure your PSU was "Haswell ready" or "Haswell certified".

If your PSU is 4 years old suggest a new PSU - today's CPUs use a lot less power at S3/S4 than older CPUs and an older PSU might shut down on you when your builds goes to sleep. This was a problem when Haswell CPUs first came out - you had to make sure your PSU was "Haswell ready" or "Haswell certified".

PSU is about 3 years old probably not Haswell ready its an OCZ and they have been out of business for a bit now. New CPU it is. Thank you sir.

So as the tittle suggest I am going to attempt to make my very own hackintosh. I built my windows PC about 4 years ago now and well its starting to show its age.
I have always preferred OS X but buying a mac for retail is nuts and I could never bring myself to do it. So thus my quest begins. I plan on cannibalising the PSU, Case, Optical Drive , GPU and the hard drives from my previous build. I plan on dual booting as gaming duties will still be handled by Windows.

Planned Build is as follows.
Intel Core i5 6500 (I have no interest in overclocking so that is why I chose this.)
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP (Saw this on the buyers guide)
AMD Radeon R9 380 ( A little sceptical but I just bought this only a few months ago and I would rather not buy another GPU)
16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4 memory (Saw this on the buyers guide)
OCZ TR150 240GB SSD ( I know its not the greatest but I have always have had a soft spot for OCZ)

Anyway tell me what you think and what problems may arise with this build. Somehow I know my GPU will be a problem but I want something that will just work out of the box. At least that is the goal.

THANKS!!!

You should be able to get the R9 380 running - what brand is it and is it reference design? If it is XFX you might need to flash the vBIOS or you can use Clover to load a different vBIOS (this is what I had to do with my XFX). Also you might have some issues with sleep and sound over HDMI/DP.

Are you planning to use El Capitan or Sierra?

You should be able to get the R9 380 running - what brand is it and is it reference design? If it is XFX you might need to flash the vBIOS or you can use Clover to load a different vBIOS (this is what I had to do with my XFX). Also you might have some issues with sleep and sound over HDMI/DP.

Are you planning to use El Capitan or Sierra?

My graphics card is a Club 3D and it has the same ports of a reference design but its not a reference card and I have no intention on using HDMI I use DVI for both my monitors.
Sierra is preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back