Contribute
Register

My first Hackintosh! Intel Core i7-3770K / GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the 560Ti seems to have a lot of intermittent problems for people, and many are trading up to the 6 series. I got that error back, after I tried to plug in a second monitor. Gonna try some solutions tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.

geekomancer, I want to say that I appreciate you posting every single problem that you had with your setup (self-inflicted or not). I'm planning on a nearly identical build and any potential problems are nice to know about ahead of time.

thelostswede, you seem to be the type who expects people to know their stuff (something I respect) and speaks the truth as you see it. I worry that you come across too harshly; something that can happen easily when you answer the same questions over and over again (which I'm sure you do). It's obvious that you are a huge asset to this site, just don't run over the noobs and scare us away. :wave:

Just wanted to chime in. :thumbup: Excited to start my own build soon!

The problem is that we provide very specific guides to avoid a lot of the repetitive questions, we have a search function that works surprisingly well, yet so many people seems to ignore both.
I don't try to run people over and yes, I'm sticking to short, straight answers.
Take it for what you want, but I'm not trying to run people over, but this is NOT something you should do without having spent adequate time doing your research before you start a build.
I don't mind answering questions, but it gets to a stage where it really is easier to spend your cash on the real deal than trying this if you can't follow the instructions available.
In this case the OP got some bad advice somewhere along the road and we have in fact had a few users that got a big slap on the wrist for that in the past.
The biggest problem at the moment is that you need access to a real Mac, or a working hack, both with recent enough hardware to support 10.8 to be able to do the Unibeast install. This makes life a bit harder for everyone, so we're getting to a point where you already need a system before you can go ahead and build your own.

Got to love Apple and their stupid automatic checks/policies...

thelostswede - Is there a way to install Snow Leopard on a build with a 3770K and a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH so that the Apple App Store will let you download Mountain Lion? I was hoping to build a system with this configuration and a GTX680 but I don't have a mac available to download Mountain Lion. I bought a new Snow Leopard disc off Ebay and I hope there is a way to install it so that I can download Mountain Lion.

I read the forums trying to get as much information on this motherboard as possible so that my installation goes smoothly so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thelostswede - Is there a way to install Snow Leopard on a build with a 3770K and a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH so that the Apple App Store will let you download Mountain Lion? I was hoping to build a system with this configuration and a GTX680 but I don't have a mac available to download Mountain Lion. I bought a new Snow Leopard disc off Ebay and I hope there is a way to install it so that I can download Mountain Lion.

I read the forums trying to get as much information on this motherboard as possible so that my installation goes smoothly so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not that I'm aware of, as you can see from this thread. Also see my post above.

It is easy, IF you follow the guides available.
The problem is that the OP started at the wrong end of things and it got worse from there on in.
He got it sorted in the end, but he didn't do things the easy way.

It is easy, IF you follow the guides available.
The problem is that the OP started at the wrong end of things and it got worse from there on in.
He got it sorted in the end, but he didn't do things the easy way.

True. I consider myself a legitimate technology expert - though at this point I am a bit gray in the beard so to speak. I have been in the trade for 20 years and have done most every IT job imaginable (Network Admin, Coder, Systems Admin, Manager, Tech Support, Consultant to ISPs etc). As of 2008, I had run every operating system available (save one) as a primary desktop and had used Unix/Linux as a primary since 1994. In 2008 I really wanted to learn more about the one OS that I have no experience with, Mac OS. I bought MacBook Pro and was really amazed at the balance of back end power and front end polish. Before long i was triple booting it and had gotten Ubuntu working great on the Apple hardware. Eventually I simply erased the non Mac partitions as I found that I could do everything inside Mac OSX.

Now, all that said, in 2010 when I decided to convert my desktop to a Hackintosh, it was hard. You really have to read, think and understand. It reminds me of the classic: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html For my money, everyone should have to agree that they have read that prior to being allowed to post on a technical forum. Getting it to work just right required a great deal of research, a lot of testing and a lot of learning. I have hosed it up more time than I can recall by testing solutions to problems, but each time I installed OSX, I kept a log and noted what worked, what resulted in KP and what ultimately was essential.

I tried to get the Wifi/Bluetooth card up and running under OS X, but I had little success. Now though, I got at least Bluetooth running.

I installed Windows 8 release preview on another HD in my Hackintosh, installed the Bluetooth drivers and all of a sudden it also works under Mountain Lion. Just tested it with the magic trackpad - all gestures are recognized perfectly. I also connected my Android phone under Windows and OS X using the internal Bluetooth card.

However I got still no clue how to make this card work without windows...

Hope this might help some of you.

I tried to get the Wifi/Bluetooth card up and running under OS X, but I had little success. Now though, I got at least Bluetooth running.

I installed Windows 8 release preview on another HD in my Hackintosh, installed the Bluetooth drivers and all of a sudden it also works under Mountain Lion. Just tested it with the magic trackpad - all gestures are recognized perfectly. I also connected my Android phone under Windows and OS X using the internal Bluetooth card.

However I got still no clue how to make this card work without windows...

Hope this might help some of you.

So, a question for you, does the Bluetooth card work every time you boot into OS X from a cold boot now, or do you have to boot into Windows first and then into OS X to make it work?

So, a question for you, does the Bluetooth card work every time you boot into OS X from a cold boot now, or do you have to boot into Windows first and then into OS X to make it work?
Well, after testing it for a while yesterday I have to say yes and no.
It is recognized every time, but it takes about a minute to "wake up". I have a Logitech Bluetooth dongle for my mouse and keyboard which works immideately when I turn the computer on. When my Gigabyte BT card was first recognized by OS X, I paired Logitech keyboard, mouse and Apples Magic Trackpad and they all worked properly. So I tried rebooting and I couldn't enter Bios nor do anything else. At the OS X log-in screen I wasn't able to type my password until after about a minute, suddenly it said keyboard, mouse and trackpad connected. Tried this several times in a row and it never worked immideatly after booting.

So basically I'd still advice to find another sollution for daily use, even though BT basically works (sort of).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back