Contribute
Register

My first G5 case mod, plan on not cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stripped down my G5 case, including top shelf, front I.O. and latch.

Do I need to remove all the standoff’s? and can I re-use the standoff’s?

Planning on full ATX z270???
i7 Kaby lake

Still need to figure gpu, don’t plan on gaming but need something that will drive 2ea - 4K monitors with ease. Suggestions welcome.

You'll need to pull the standoffs as they don't line up with standard ATX mount holes, but you should be able to reuse them if you JB-weld them in place

I was able to mount an ATX motherboard by 3D printing some supports. The only cutting I did was on the original PSU case to install a 120mm fan.
Thread here :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g5-case-mod-keeping-the-case-as-original-as-possible.229001/
Some parts are a bit tight, for example, the SATA plugs on my mobo are next to the PSU, so I had to use 90° cables and finding the right ones was a bit complex. Same thing with the GPU cables, I'm currently using 90° HDMI cables, but I might need to redo the GPU installation for a new card and I'm afraid the DisplayPort cables won't fit under the top shelf.
I'll try to upload the CAD files if you're interested.

I'm planning the same case mod. Meaning: Not cutting the outside of the original G5 case. That's why I've been looking at several builds, specs, etc.

I like the idea of a clean outside and I see why others like it. I also like the idea of recycling a part of the old board, so you can keep the I/O connectors. It adds to a certain 'recycle roughness' that looks cool, I think. A mix of cut up, recycled old parts and some brand new.

I even saw a build with a 'mock up' G5 inside, where you look at a set of fake G5 covers, but personally, I don't see the point in that. The way I see it; it's a hackintosh, so why not show it, to people who appreciate it an bother to open the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back