Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all. Before I begin I would like to say that this forum in its entirety is extremely helpful!

So I've researching about parts and there compatibility with Mac osx and finally managed to create a list of parts that I am going to use. I plan on using the hackintosh for casual gaming (not an enthusiast) and for adobe after effects. The budget is 1000€. Yes I live in Europe. This post is mainly to here if any of you know about compatibility issues and if so if there is a fix.

Parts:
Intel Core I5-3570
ASUS P8H77- M PRO motherboard
Kingston HyperX SSD 3K 120GB SATA 3 2.5"
Western Digital 1000GB Caviar Blue SATA 6Gb/s
ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5

Hello all. Before I begin I would like to say that this forum in its entirety is extremely helpful!

So I've researching about parts and there compatibility with Mac osx and finally managed to create a list of parts that I am going to use. I plan on using the hackintosh for casual gaming (not an enthusiast) and for adobe after effects. The budget is 1000€. Yes I live in Europe. This post is mainly to here if any of you know about compatibility issues and if so if there is a fix.

Parts:
Intel Core I5-3570
ASUS P8H77- M PRO motherboard
Kingston HyperX SSD 3K 120GB SATA 3 2.5"
Western Digital 1000GB Caviar Blue SATA 6Gb/s
ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5

It's best to flash a modified Bios for that board to get sleep and power mgt. See the post by samisnake on this:

Asus locked part of their UEFI bioses, which results in a kernel panic when booting into OSX

The ways to sort this are to use one of these options:

1. use nullcpupowermanagement (also included in easybeast)
2. use a patched appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext
3. flash a modified bios

Using nullcpu is not a good idea as it means your cpu runs at full speed 24/7 and sleep will not work.
Using a patched appleintel kext means sleep and power management works, however after every update the kext has to be replaced (in the same way audio kexts have to be reselected). This can get annoying.

Flashing a modified bios only has to be done once
Using one of these roms means you won't have to use nullcpu or patched AICPUPM kext

These roms can be found at http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/

Consult your boards manual if you are unsure on how to update the bios
Note- Z77 boards must use the USB Flashback feature

When flashing any bios, there are risks that you may corrupt your bios.
If you are happy taking that risk, download the right rom for your board, and follow the instructions on the site.

Note- Windows is not affected when using one of these roms. The modification is small. Nothing is added or removed.

Hey trs96 thanks for replying.
So windows isn't affected by these solutions. Could I fix this problem through simply buying a motherboard from gigabyte?

For example could this motherboard work:
MSI Z77MA-G45

Would this work?

Also, from what I've read it is impossible to SLI in Mac, right?

Thanks again.

Hey trs96 thanks for replying.
So windows isn't affected by these solutions. Could I fix this problem through simply buying a motherboard from gigabyte?

For example could this motherboard work:
MSI Z77MA-G45

Would this work?

Also, from what I've read it is impossible to SLI in Mac, right?

Thanks again.

You'd need to do the same bios flash for the MSI Z77 board. GB does not make MSI boards. It's not difficult to
flash the bios and you only do it once. Just make sure to follow all the directions to a T. SLI would be just for your
Windows installation. If the extra steps to flash the bios are not something you want to try then yes, the GB boards
are the best choice for a beginner.

You'd need to do the same bios flash for the MSI Z77 board. GB does not make MSI boards. It's not difficult to
flash the bios and you only do it once. Just make sure to follow all the directions to a T. SLI would be just for your
Windows installation. If the extra steps to flash the bios are not something you want to try then yes, the GB boards
are the best choice for a beginner.

So you said that the sli is for the windows configuration. So lets say that I set up the sli configuration, it will work on windows but once I go to the Mac osx can i leave the graphics cards set up? Thanks

So you said that the sli is for the windows configuration. So lets say that I set up the sli configuration, it will work on windows but once I go to the Mac osx can i leave the graphics cards set up? Thanks

Yes, no problem with leaving both in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back