Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUSTeK K42JY (Chimera)
CPU
i5 M 480
Graphics
HD6470m/1366x768
Greeting everyone,

This is my very first attempt to install Snow Leopard on an Asus Laptop.
I have tried to read the relevant Installation guides, oh that is way too many things to read and understand..
So I am taking it step by step.

I bought the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple Store.
I have joined the forum and download iBoot, iBoot-legacy and burn into DVD.

I use this link https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html to start my learning.

The Asus laptop has a intel i5 480M mobile cpu, I first tried to use the above steps, using iBoot to boot the snow leopard DVD, then, I got stuck at step 8 with all combinations, finally I saw the screen has something like 'kernel panic'...
After some other readings I started to think the Mobile CPU intel 480M might not be compatible...

On second thought, I use iBoot-Legacy to boot the DVD.
Oh yes, I am happy to see that I can proceed to step 8-14, but then I cannot go with step 15.
So I just continue to install until installation complete.

Unpon reboot, I found it could not boot from the SSD I used.
Fortunately I can boot from the iboot-legacy CD by selecting Snow Leopard partition.

After setting up keyboard, user information etc I am now able to see Mac OS X version 10.6.3

Of course at this point there is no internet, no wireless, and screen is on low resolution at 1024x768.
However I am happy to get to this point. :)

I have never use an Mac so it takes a long time for me to slowly navigate myself.

In order to provide more hardware information on this Asus laptop, I use Linux Live DVD and capture the details with inxi -F command , I just take away the mac address on the report , and post here for reference. I am yet to learn how to screen capture , pull out hardware information from a mac and post in the forum.

root@live:/home/live# inxi -F

System:

Host: live Kernel: 4.0.0-2-586 i686 bits: 32 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2

Distro: SparkyLinux Tyche

Machine:

Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K42JY v: 1.0 serial: N/A

Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K42JY v: 1.0 serial: NB-1234567890

BIOS: American Megatrends v: 301 date: 02/11/2011

Battery:

ID-1: BAT0 charge: 12.4 Wh condition: 49.9/48.8 Wh (102%)

CPU:

Topology: Single Core model: Intel Core i5 M 480 bits: 64 type: UP

L2 cache: 3072 KiB

Speed: 1199 MHz min/max: 1199/2667 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 1199

Graphics:

Card-1: AMD Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series] driver: radeon

v: kernel

Display: server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: ati,radeon

unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz

OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS v: 3.3 Mesa 10.5.7

Audio:

Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio

driver: snd_hda_intel

Card-2: AMD Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]

driver: snd_hda_intel

Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.0.0-2-586

Network:

Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k

IF: wlan0 state: up mac: xxyyzz

Card-2: JMicron JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: jme

IF: eth0 state: down mac: xxyyzz

Card-3: IMC Networks USB 2.0 Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo

Drives:

HDD Total Size: 14.91 GiB used: 1.42 GiB (9.5%)

ID-1: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Blade

size: 7.45 GiB

ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer size: 7.45 GiB

Partition:

ID-1: / size: 970.2 MiB used: 193.6 MiB (19.9%) fs: overlay dev: ERR-102

Sensors:

System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 48 C

Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

Info:

Processes: 298 Uptime: 4m Memory: 1.89 GiB used: 223.7 MiB (11.5%)

Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.13

Now, I hope to get some help on
1. How to boot the installation from the SSD.
2. How to set up wired internet , wireless internet ,
3. How to setup Redeon HD6470M graphic.

Thank you for reading this long message.
:mrgreen:

Greeting everyone,

I have tried to read the relevant Installation guides, oh that is way too many things to read and understand..

I use this link https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html to start my learning.

The Asus laptop has a intel i5 480M mobile cpu, I first tried to use the above steps, using iBoot to boot the snow leopard DVD, then, I got stuck at step 8 with all combinations, finally I saw the screen has something like 'kernel panic'...
After some other readings I started to think the Mobile CPU intel 480M might not be compatible...

Oh yes, I am happy to see that I can proceed to step 8-14, but then I cannot go with step 15.

Fortunately I can boot from the iboot-legacy CD by selecting Snow Leopard partition.

After setting up keyboard, user information etc I am now able to see Mac OS X version 10.6.3

Of course at this point there is no internet, no wireless, and screen is on low resolution at 1024x768.

I have never use an Mac so it takes a long time for me to slowly navigate myself.

In order to provide more hardware information on this Asus laptop, I use Linux Live DVD and capture the details with inxi -F command , I just take away the mac address on the report , and post here for reference. I am yet to learn how to screen capture , pull out hardware information from a mac and post in the forum.

i have moved your post to laptop support

Read up on the FAQ first:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Link to laptop guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Greeting everyone,

Your profile lacks important details regarding your hardware.
Please fix as per FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Your profile lacks important details regarding your hardware.
Please fix as per FAQ:

Thanks for the reminder.
It took a while for me to read and navigate.
I have updated mobo, I can't find the chipset ( there is no OS on this laptop), however google some showed other had this laptop with HM55 chip so I put it in for time being and would change when I manage to get the correct one.

Edit: OK I install Win7 and CPU Z to read the chipset, indeed the chip set is Havendale/clarkdale hostbridge, south bridge is HM55

Last edited:
Update:
Manage to reach Step 4.
Stuck at Reboot, what I saw was just the Apple logo, tried boot with iBoot-legacy but no joy.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

1. [*]Run MultiBeast.
    [*]If you have a custom DSDT that's been edited, place the file on your desktop and choose UserDSDT.
    [*]All others select EasyBeast
    [*]Select System Utilities.
    [*]Optionally, you may install further drivers via Advanced Options to enable ethernet, sound, graphics, etc... Be sure to read the documentation provided about each installation option. NOTE: EasyBeast, and UserDSDT install the bootloader by default, so you'll not need to check that option.
    MultiBeast Demo Videos
    [*]Install to Snow Leopard- it should take about 4 minutes to run scripts.
    [*]Eject iBoot.
    [*]Reboot- from your new Snow Leopard installation drive.

Update:
Manage to reach Step 4.
Stuck at Reboot, what I saw was just the Apple logo, tried boot with iBoot-legacy but no joy.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Why are you trying to install such an old version of OS X?

Consider borrowing a Mac to create USB installer (with Clover and newer macOS/OS X).

Thanks RehadMan for the suggestion.
I bought a gigabyte Geforce210 graphic card.. pull out an used HP8200 to attempt at creating my first working Snow Leopard , then follow the 6200/8200 Guide to see if I have a better chance of success. I shall post in Desktop support for the 8200 work there.

Ok, here are some updates.

I manage to get Snow Leopard installed on HP8200, managed to create a bootable USB for El Capitan with Unibeast following the Guides. Managed to install El Capitan on HP8200.
When I buy from the market all current USB sticks are USB3 version.
Not sure if it is going to affect installation to Asus laptop.

When I boot the Asus laptop, without making any change on the Clover, the laptop boot into a 'blue tooth missing' where two images are showing alternatively.. I read somewhere this is graphic problem.

As I have not been able to read and understand enough what to change on Clover.
What should I do in order to boot this laptop up and install El Capitan?
Thank you
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back