Contribute
Register

My CustoMac Build: OSX 10.8.4, Core i7, Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H, 2TB Drive- ALL WORKING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770 / LGA1155
Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,
I had to retire my 2006 MacPro and didn't want to shell out another $2500. Like many here, I had some hackintosh experience and opted to build a nice "cheaper" machine I could cut/create audio, video, graphics, and edit photo shoots with. My software of choice is Adobe Master Collection 5.5, and Adobe Lightroom 4.

I selected the following parts from Tonymac's site.
• Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
• Intel Core i7-3770 / LGA1155
• Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
• Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

I followed the initial instructions and ran across the "usual" plethora of problems and after scouring this fine site I documented the complete solution that worked for me.

But before we delve into this step-by-step guide, I'd like to give Tonymac and the whole OSX86 community a huge thanks for all the help and support! You guys rock!

-Update I am hoping to add a GeForce GTX 670, shortly...Any advice or tips on installation will be welcome!

Here's my step by step guide, I've cut-n-pasted from multiple threads, READ IT FIRST, then work though it :)

1. Boot into Bios Setup
Bios Settings:
• Intel Virtualization Technology: enabled
• VT-d: disabled (at least this causes OS X boot to hang with my setup)
• CSM: Never
• Other PCI Dev ROM Priority: UEFI First (if you are booting legacy such as with Chimera, pick Legacy)
• Secure Boot: Disabled
• SATA: AHCI

Under Peripherals:
• xHCI mode:Auto (NOT Smart Auto)
• xHCI Hand-off: Enabled
• EHCI Hand-off: Enabled.

Under Display Settings:
• Init Display First (If you’re using the integrated Intel graphics-RECOMMENDED) then you want to select IGFX here. You don’t need to make any changes to the Internal Graphics Memory Size setting here, just leave it at the default of 64MB.

2. F12 Select Boot Source-USB
At the OSX installer screen (after selected setup language screen)
A. In the top menu bar choose Utilities, and open Disk Utility
B. Highlight your target hard drive for the Mountain Lion installation in left column.
C. Click Partition tab
D. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
E. Click Options...
F. Choose GUID Partition Method
G. Under Name: type Mountain Lion (You can rename it later)
H. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I. Click Apply then Partition
J. Close Disk Utility
K. When the installer asks you where to install, choose Mountain Lion, or your existing install.
L. Upon completion, restart the system.

3. F12 Select Boot Source- USB
A. Select "Mountain Lion", and down arrow for boot options
B. When booting the first time into Mountain Lion to install Multi-Beast
Enter: PCIRootUID=0

MultiBeast Install:
UsedMulti Beast Mountain Lion 5.0.2
⁃ Select: UserDSDT or DSDT free installation
Under Drivers:
⁃ Audio- Realtek ALC8XX > Without DSDT > ALC887
⁃ Network- hnak's AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet

Not sure if this stuff is needed*
*Misc- Null CPU
*System- CPU Power management option

-Restart system when done with Multibeast install

4. To insure proper boot record installation with drives over 1TB

Use UniBeast for systems only running OS X
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
1. Restart System
2. F12 Select Boot Source-USB
3. Go back into Lion installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OSX Mountain Lion on.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot System

NOTE: The above instructions are based on OS X being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

5. Fix video sync issue on first boot-in.
After an initial boot-in you may have an issue with the Intel internal graphics not syncing to your display.

If this happens un-plug your display cable, and plug it back in. Another option is to hit the system power once- screen goes black- then hit power button again. You should see a "zoomed in" view of the OSX desktop screen. Or simply boot into OSX with the command "-x", and follow steps below to add the correct graphics mode to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.

A. Search for .plist
B. Double click on org.chameleon.Boot.plist
C. Add the following to org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<key>Graphics Mode</key> <string>1920x1080x32</string>
Save org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Reboot system

Enjoy!

Do you have an SSDT?
Does sleepmode work ?

No SSDT, system sleeps, and wakes on USB, although now I'm using a Targus Bluetooth adaptor with my Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse, and the only way to wake the system at the moment is to hit the power button. Guess I'll have to poke around for a "wake on bluetooth".

Where is the vt-d ? Setting in the bios, I can't seem to find it

F2 bios

Thank you for this! I couldn't figure out the whole video sync problem with intel 4000 IGFX until i read your post

Where is the vt-d ? Setting in the bios, I can't seem to find it

F2 bios

I have the exact same problem. The BIOS version of my GA-Q77M-D2H is F2. In this BIOS version there is no option to enable/disable VT-d. The only option is to enable/disable Intel Virtualization Technology.

My install hangs, and I suspect the VT-d is causing it. Please help.

I have the exact same problem. The BIOS version of my GA-Q77M-D2H is F2. In this BIOS version there is no option to enable/disable VT-d. The only option is to enable/disable Intel Virtualization Technology.

My install hangs, and I suspect the VT-d is causing it. Please help.

Same here, I've an Ivy Bridge CPU and VT-d isn't showing up, my friend has the same mobo but with a Sandy Bridge and there is the option to disable VT-d.

However for me it works fine. So I would say: If you don't have the option for VT-d, your computer isn't able of this techniology thus it is disabled.

Try enabling virtualization technology, and apologies for my delay in getting back to you, I've been offline since July.

You have to enable virtualization on your MB. Mine used to hand at the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back