Contribute
Register

Multiboot OSX Win7 and Win8 cloned to bigger SSD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again
Afraid I got a bit delayed with my usb and unibeast last night - working on fixing that now.
I don't suppose you can point me in the direction of info in gptsync - googling brings up some very sparsely explained pages?

See my multi-boot guide on my blog. Link in signature.

Just trying to figure out my best way to re-cloning from the 128 to 256.
I think the original guide I followed was by Going Bald - will have a search here so I can understand the differences.
Cheers again!

Use Disk Utility to setup initial partition scheme (MS-DOS partitions for Win7/Win8 place holders).
Use gparted to clone Win7/Win8 partitions (delete partitions and paste) and any other non-HFS+ partitions.
Follow up with gptsync.
Back into Disk Utility to clone your HFS+ partitions.
Use techniques above to fix your \boot\bcd with BCDEDIT.

Thanks again Rehabman, but sorry, I have gone through your blog guide several times but the only references I can find id to gptsync are related to installing ubuntu or linux, which I'm not doing and don't have a spare usb to hand other then my Unibeast.
Can I run gptsync from the gparted live cd?
If so how do I proceed as per your suggestion in your lat reply to:
"Follow up with gptsync."
??
Many thanks again!

Thanks again Rehabman, but sorry, I have gone through your blog guide several times but the only references I can find id to gptsync are related to installing ubuntu or linux, which I'm not doing and don't have a spare usb to hand other then my Unibeast.

It is not related to installing Linux at all. You will see the guide has you run gptsync after every trip into gparted. It is that simple. Use the guide as a way to understand how to install and run it. That's all there is too it.

Can I run gptsync from the gparted live cd?

Yes. I think gptsync is installed by default in most gparted live distros.

If so how do I proceed as per your suggestion in your lat reply to:
"Follow up with gptsync."
??
Many thanks again!

That means, simply to run gptsync on the device that you just edited with gparted.

Many thanks Rehabman!
I decided to check out gptsync before I reattached the 128 for re-cloning and ran it from terminal on my gparted live disk.
With the 256 still in place I let it do its thing and then - although win 7 and 8 wouldn't boot at first - I managed to do a repair and then they were both accesable agin!
Albeit with the extra menus - so I just dived back into your block tutorial on cleaning up the BCD/Bootmgr and voila! -it's all back!
Had to use my Unibeast usb to boot back into OSX again though - so I could re run the new Chimera to fix that.

So very, very many thanks!
It all seems good now - vey much appreciated!!!! :thumbup: :headbang: You do indeed rock!

One slight query I don't know if you can help with? - OSX is now taking forever to shutdown/reboot - win7 and win8 are still fast - remembered your section K from your blog on the win8 tweak, cheers! - but OSX is REALLY slow to reboot. Any ideas?
Cheers again!

Many thanks Rehabman!
I decided to check out gptsync before I reattached the 128 for re-cloning and ran it from terminal on my gparted live disk.
With the 256 still in place I let it do its thing and then - although win 7 and 8 wouldn't boot at first - I managed to do a repair and then they were both accesable agin!
Albeit with the extra menus - so I just dived back into your block tutorial on cleaning up the BCD/Bootmgr and voila! -it's all back!

The extra menu stuff probably came from that "repair" you attempted using the Windows repair stuff (that thing is pretty much worthless unless you have just a totally vanilla Windows install).

Had to use my Unibeast usb to boot back into OSX again though - so I could re run the new Chimera to fix that.

Yup. To get your stage0 MBR (master boot record) back...

So very, very many thanks!
It all seems good now - vey much appreciated!!!! :thumbup: :headbang: You do indeed rock!

Glad you got it working...

One slight query I don't know if you can help with? - OSX is now taking forever to shutdown/reboot - win7 and win8 are still fast - remembered your section K from your blog on the win8 tweak, cheers! - but OSX is REALLY slow to reboot. Any ideas?
Cheers again!

Boot with "-v" and you'll get some debug messages on restart/shutdown. Maybe that will give a clue. But ML is known to have issues (not present on Lion & SL) shutting down various background processes even on real Macs.

Hmm.... thanks....I'll set my camera on a tripod and video the verbose shut down over the next couple of days and see what I can find.
Is there such a thing as a process killer/de-allower for macs like there is for pcs?
Just wondering.:think:
Cheers again!:D

Many thanks for the help Rehabman but one further query:

I decided to move my win8 over to my second ssd where I had my second copy of win7 - I need 2 as the initial setups are so different.
This was in order to enlarge my OSX partition even further.
Got it all done with OSX and win7 on ssd1 and win7audio and win8 on ssd2.

Only problem is when I have them both plugged in I can only boot from the first.

In my old setup - where I only had wwin7audio on the second ssd, I just hit f12 and chose the second ssd from the boot menu and that was fine.
On the first ssd I had OSX with the other win7 and win8 which all worked perfectly through Chimera - without hitting f12.

Now, no matter which way I swap them - physically with the cables - the first ssd boots fine - OSX and win7 via Chimera or win7audio and win8 through the win8 bootloader - but the second goes to start, allows me to choose the os then reboots completely.
The exact same happens if I swap the other way and as I said with only one connected they both work fine.

Is it possible to use Chimera to boot the ssd2 oses as well and do I need to basically do the same as in your blog to change the BCD details?

Many thanks again!
Cheers!

Is it possible to use Chimera to boot the ssd2 oses as well and do I need to basically do the same as in your blog to change the BCD details?

Yes and Yes. Hopefully you can use the information in my blog (on how to use BCDEDIT) to figure out your BCD situation, so you can fix them up...

Hi again Rehabman

Given that I am still learning re bcdedit I wondered if you'd mind casting an eye over the below and advising me which items need removing/changing?

These are both from ssd2 where win7audio and win8 are sitting side by side on a regular mbr.

ssd1 with osx and win7(first copy) are as I mentioned before very happy both booting from Chimera but when I attach ssd2, even though win8 and win7audio appear in chimera menu, they are unbootable with the "please reinstall the os" warning screens.

The below I took after disconnecting ssd1 again and installing the free version of easybcd on both win7audio and win8 - thought it might help me understand things better.

At the moment in this situation I get the windows os selet menu - although I'm not sure if it is in fact the win7audio or win8 one - will I therefore need to edit both?

Anyway here's the info (win7audio first):

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=E:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
integrityservices Enable
default {fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
resumeobject {90d606e6-8d4e-11e2-92b4-b7f38c119e98}
displayorder {a3d3ad38-f011-11e2-b64d-b86f4db777e0}
{fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
displaybootmenu No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {a3d3ad38-f011-11e2-b64d-b86f4db777e0}
device partition=E:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 8 Pro (recovered)
locale en-US
osdevice partition=E:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {46ccaa43-efc6-11e2-be98-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
device partition=C:
description Win 7 Audio
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {55d13da8-f2f7-11e2-975c-806e6f6e6963}

and the same from win8:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
integrityservices Enable
default {fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
resumeobject {90d606e6-8d4e-11e2-92b4-b7f38c119e98}
displayorder {a3d3ad38-f011-11e2-b64d-b86f4db777e0}
{fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
displaybootmenu No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {a3d3ad38-f011-11e2-b64d-b86f4db777e0}
device partition=C:
description Windows 8 Pro (recovered)
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {46ccaa43-efc6-11e2-be98-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {fd2e3fa8-f2f6-11e2-be9f-6cf049b225b0}
device partition=D:
description Win 7 Audio
locale en-US
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows

Many thanks again for your time and help with all this!
Cheers!

PS
Can I also remove the "(recovered)" from the win8 dscription so this doesn't show in chimera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back