Contribute
Register

Multiboot OSX Win7 and Win8 cloned to bigger SSD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
strange problem with attachments - let me try again.....
ok - fixed

As you suggested both of the c: and d: have osdevice unknown on the 256 drive

would you mind explaining how I could rectify that?

Based on the photos, you need to do something like:

Code:
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd /set {90d606e7-8d4e-11e2-92b4-b7f38c119e98} device partition=c:
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd /set {90d606e7-8d4e-11e2-92b4-b7f38c119e98} osdevice partition=c:
bcdedit /store d:\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} device partition=d:
bcdedit /store d:\boot\bcd /set {default} device partition=d:
bcdedit /store d:\boot\bcd /set {default} osdevice partition=d:

re the gptsync I'm pretty sure I never used that part of your guide.
Is this necessary in this case?

You did... but you forgot. It is integral to the guide. Whether you need to do it again depends on how you cloned from the 128 to the 256...

Many thanks for all this!
All commands ran properly however the boot situation hasn't changed :(

I checked your original article where you mention gptsync but I don't remember using it - I think I may have used another method to install the 3 os'es and just used your method to sort the boot menu entries in win 7 and 8.

so, sorry, still not sure how it might apply here.....

Many thanks for all this!
All commands ran properly however the boot situation hasn't changed :(

Did you check your work? That is run bcdedit /store \boot\bcd to see that the changes are there...???

I checked your original article where you mention gptsync but I don't remember using it - I think I may have used another method to install the 3 os'es and just used your method to sort the boot menu entries in win 7 and 8.

so, sorry, still not sure how it might apply here.....

How did you do your clone? If you used gparted, you have a pure-GPT partitioned HDD. You'll need gptsync to create MBR/GPT hybrid. Might have to redo the BCD fixes after...

Hi,
yes I did check after and all the entries look good - pointing to the right partitions, etc.

I think I used someone else's original setup instructions - not in gparted but via diskutility, I think setting up the original GUID, then my osx install partition, then adding in the 2 Win 7 and win 8 partitions - if I remember correctly.

I've only used gparted recently to clone from the 128 to the 256.

I am slightly worried it may have made some additional changes in the process...

Hi,
yes I did check after and all the entries look good - pointing to the right partitions, etc.

I think I used someone else's original setup instructions - not in gparted but via diskutility, I think setting up the original GUID, then my osx install partition, then adding in the 2 Win 7 and win 8 partitions - if I remember correctly.

I've only used gparted recently to clone from the 128 to the 256.

As soon as you used gparted, it wiped out your MBR partition table, leaving pure GPT. You need gptsync.

FYI: This is one of the reasons I use OS X Disk Utility to do HFS+ cloning. That and I trust Apple more than Linux to do HFS+ cloning.

Thanks for your ongoing help here!
I'm actually redownloading ML from the app store right now with intent to redo my unibeast USB.
I'm thinking of then trying the clone afresh using disk utility that way.

If this goes well will using gparted after to adjust the partition sizes cause problems again?

Thanks for your ongoing help here!
I'm actually redownloading ML from the app store right now with intent to redo my unibeast USB.
I'm thinking of then trying the clone afresh using disk utility that way.

If you're going that route, make sure when you do, that you re-partition... because I'm not sure if Disk Utility will create a hybrid unless you use it to *create* an MS-DOS partition. That is if you just load it up and do some cloning (Restoring in Disk Utility), I don't think it will create the MBR side of hybrid.

If this goes well will using gparted after to adjust the partition sizes cause problems again?

If you use gparted for anything (pretty much), it will wipe out your MBR table and create a pure-GPT. Then you have to re-create the hybrid with 'gptsync'. It is easy, so it is not a big deal.

Hi again
Afraid I got a bit delayed with my usb and unibeast last night - working on fixing that now.
I don't suppose you can point me in the direction of info in gptsync - googling brings up some very sparsely explained pages?
Just trying to figure out my best way to re-cloning from the 128 to 256.
I think the original guide I followed was by Going Bald - will have a search here so I can understand the differences.
Cheers again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back