Graphics
RX 6700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have successfully installed macOS Ventura Public Beta on this Coffee Lake system.

First, I downloaded the Public Beta for Ventura, full 12+GB installer.

While that was downloading I updated my OpenCore setup to use OC 0.8.3, which works for my Monterey and Ventura setups -

I then updated the kexts in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder to the latest builds, available from this site -

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 16.22.45.png Updated kexts for Ventura Public Beta

Creating the OC EFI was a standard setup,

Used the CreateInstallMedia command below to create a Ventura installation USB on a 16GB pen drive.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Then followed the OC guide for a Coffee Lake Desktop, making a few minor changes to suit my Z370 motherboard.

This is the EFI folder contents as shown in Finder.

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 16.27.35.png Copy of the EFI is attached below, lacks Serial Number etc.

1. Config-share.plist needs SMBIOS data, your own preferably!
  2. It also needs to be renamed to config.plist.
  3. You may want to review the ACPI > Patches, and Kernel/Booter > Patches, as they are particular to my setup and use of an Icy Dock express cage for SSD Hot-Swapping.
  4. May need a different Ethernet kext depending on your motherboard.
  5. The USBPorts.kext is set for my motherboard and case, I use in a Fractal Design R5 Titanium case. You should just be able to replace this with your own USBPorts.kext.
I have been using the Ventura Beta as my daily driver since I installed a beta type that we can't mention, and then updated to the First Public Beta version of the new OS this week. I am using a separate SSD for Ventura and have left my Monterey and Windows 11 installations on their normal WD SN570 NVMe drives.

I would strongly recommend removing any unnecessary data or OS drives while installing Ventura. It might save you a lot of unnecessary messing around.

All told this was a fairly simple and straightforward installation. I actually prefer Ventura to Monterey, possibly due to the Yellow/Orange colour scheme used in Ventura.

The only issues I have faced are as follows:
  1. OneDrive not loading when the Ventura drive is booted. I have to manually boot the OneDrive app.
  2. The HWMonitoring app not being as flexible, i.e. can't stretch the window so I can see the info without scrolling. As soon as I try to change the size of the window the app closes.
My other main apps AutoCAD, MS Office and the OS itself work as well as they do in earlier versions of macOS.

I have to say that for a Beta OS this is the best I have seen Apple provide in a very, very long time. Let's hope if continues!

Attachments

• EFI-083-Mont-Vent.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 524
Fixed OneDrive not opening when the system boots Ventura with an update from the App Store.

But now have noticed an issue in Preview, where the app locked up while trying to highlight some items add some text and arrows to a screenshot. Had to Force Quit Preview. Issue only happened once, couldn't repeat the Preview app locking up.

Ed, Bertie and Ruby, thank you so much for sharing this!. Updated OpenCore to 0.8.3 and my existing kexts to latest build release, also added RestrictEvents, NVMeFix, FeatureUnlock. I did remove my .aml's that I generated with SSDTTime and reverted to the prebuilt's from Dortania, I am going to rebuild them again. Installation was quick, the installer found my NE-128 and didn't require much input from me. I prefer Ventura to Monterey too, the dark mode color scheme is very nice.

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 12.57.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 1.07.05 AM.png

I thought it was interesting that you used RestrictEvents.kext, I was under the impression that was just for AMD.

I don't think it makes any difference in my Coffee Lake system. But I am in the process of updating a Haswell system to Ventura and used it when creating both EFI's.

I think it works best with the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, so I will see if it helps with the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS I will be using with the Haswell system.

It doesn't so I may remove the kext from both EFI's.

I thought it was interesting that you used RestrictEvents.kext, I was under the impression that was just for AMD.
It doesn't so I may remove the kext from both EFI's.

You use it with MacPro 7,1 even on intel to make sure the memory error does not pop up, if your lazy that is because you can easily populate the memory in your config using the memory mapping and dortania guide. I Like 7,1 over iMac Pro 1,1 because I feel like the base model 7,1 is closer to my build than iMac Pro. It also allows me to run my system without WEG.

Last edited:
You use it with MacPro 7,1 even on intel to make sure the memory error does not pop up, if your lazy that is because you can easily populate the memory in your config using the memory mapping and dortania guide. I Like 7,1 over iMac Pro 1,1 because I feel like the base model 7,1 is closer to my build than iMac Pro. It also allows me to run my system without WEG.
Interesting because I removed WEG from my other builds EFI, A320I-K — Ryzen 7 5700X — MacPro7,1. Been running fine as far as I'm aware.

@Edhawk have you noticed an improvement in your RX580's performance?.

No, and more importantly I haven't noticed any issues with it either.

It just works, and works well for what I need. That is AutoCAD 2018, Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook and Excel), some Photoshop editing and generally messing around with OpenCore & ProperTree etc.

Back