Contribute
Register

MSI Z370-A Pro | i5-8500 | RX580 - Ventura Public beta

No, and more importantly I haven't noticed any issues with it either.

It just works, and works well for what I need. That is AutoCAD 2018, Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook and Excel), some Photoshop editing and generally messing around with OpenCore & ProperTree etc.
I just installed Ventura on my AM4G5, and I'm seeing 3000-4000 extra points in GB5 from what I previously benched under Monterey.

Last edited:
Interesting, I haven't checked any benchmarks in Ventura. So, maybe the current drivers AMD are giving the older cards a bit of a lift. Differences between OS versions are usually negligible, or they were when I last carried out a check using Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan, on one of my Haswell systems. I've just realised how long ago that was and can't believe it must have been at least 7 years ago!

I would have to be working on the Haswell system to really check, as I've never benched the Z370 system, so nothing to compare it against.

Just ran the GeekBench 5 Metal/Compute test and it is within the normal range for an RX580.

The OpenCL test was below the RX580 average, by 3K.

Looking back at the results in my GB account, my RX580's (I have three) all perform within a specific range of 50K-54K.

Testing my Sapphire Pulse RX580 on Ventura was below the average for the card, top two entries in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2022-07-19 at 19.01.03.png Geekbench 5 Compute scores

Just ran the GeekBench 5 Metal/Compute test and it is within the normal range for an RX580.

The OpenCL test was below the RX580 average, by 3K.

Looking back at the results in my GB account, my RX580's (I have three) all perform within a specific range of 50K-54K.

Testing my Sapphire Pulse RX580 on Ventura was below the average for the card, top two entries in the screenshot below.

View attachment 551461 Geekbench 5 Compute scores

My Sapphire Pulse RX580 doesn't bench anywhere near your scores, currently round the 35000 mark, still an improvement from what I've seen in Monterey though. It did hit those highs after benching a new installation but not afterwards. Am I missing something?.

I don't add anything to my OC setups that are specifically related to my graphics card. I think the difference is you don't use WhateverGreen.kext, as you use the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. I recall you mentioning that fact in another post.

Maybe switching to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and using WhateverGreen.kext might boost the score even more.

I am sure you have tested that combination previously, and there is a reason you have your system set the way you do.

Hi @Edhawk, I tried your opencore config with Ventura main release (just added SMBIOS). I have Asus z370-P, 8600k, RX580. I removed all the drives except the usb stick to rule out conflicts with older installation based on Clover. Did bios reset and setup, clear cmos, nvram, but got:

OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter

even before I got to drive selection. Disabling secure boot in config.plist allowed me to bypass this issue (as I found this solution in some different thread), but now Immediately after I select Install macOS Ventura I get Kernel Panic. Prior trying your OC I tried to build my own 0.8.5 from official guide, same result. I tried various combinations of boot quirks as menitoned here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...na-on-z370-with-opencore.305916/#post-2191308 but no luck. I get basically the same error as in mentioned thread.

Already spent 5 hours on this...

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I need to see what changes you made to the EFI to know what needs attention.

Can't do that with the one posted previously, as you have changed a number of things and I need to know what the changes are before I provide any help.

Initially putting SN and the other ID for correct iMac 19,1 i think it was(I'm on different machine right now), nothing else, only after that didn't work I started to play around. I kept everything else original as you uploaded it just to test whether I can get into install which shuold not be affected by USB mapping etc - tried different USB ports directly on the motherboard.

Basically:
- Downloaded your efi
- Renamed config.plist
- Added SN and the other ID, I can't recall name :D

nothing else. Same result as with my custom OC plist/drivers/kexts, usb mapping - Failed to bootstrap ....

After that I even tried Monterey install, no luck either.

I even tried iMac 18,3 which I used previously with Clover, nope.. nothing..

To get past initial NVRAM issue I changed security/SecureBootModel to Disabled, after that only panic. I will upload my current clover config and your modified opencore tomorrow.

The 'Failed to bootstrap....' error occurs when the NVRAM is messed up and not been reset, according to the posts I have read about this issue.

You may need to use the OC ResetNvram.efi tool, not the ClearNvram.efi, as that tool doesn't force a reboot on the system. The Nvram will not clear unless you reboot after using the ClearNvram.efi tool. Using the ResetNvram.efi tool forces the necessary system reboot to clear any old Nvram entries.

If you are mixing between booting Clover and booting OC this can sometimes mess up the Nvram entries.

In Clover you would need to use the ClearNvram option (F11 key), which is available from the Clover boot screen, again with a reboot after pressing the F11 key.

Setting SecureBootModel to Disabled sometimes works, but not always. It should be of course be set as Default in your setup.

Did NVRAM clear in Clover, F11 and then reboot. After disabling SecureBootModel in your OC build I run Reset NVram and also clear, both with reboots, same result.

After that disconnected all the drives and tried just with USB stick as only medium, again reset NVRAM (from your OC tools), so Clover does not mess anything. Same result after setting SecureBootModel back to Default. Not even got to drive selection.

I observed another interesting thing. I copied my current working Clover EFI onto USB stick, but was not able to boot into macos installed on SSD when booted from USB. It was stuck at wake error, which occurs also during my normal boot from ssd, but then it continues to boot normally.

I'm willing even to pay to someone who will solve this for me :D, unfortunatelly don't have enough time to play around with it as I did originally when I set up hackintosh with Clover. I just need it to work, need newer Xcode :( It doesn't matter if it would be Monterey or Ventura, but it seems it's not OS version related.

Back