Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

And what about wifi? ;)
no wifi, because Apple in Sonoma has deactivated support for Intel and Fenvi cards.
I use wifi on system 1 (Z690) with the Archer T3U plus USB stick with Chris1111 drivers and it works well (speed over 200 Mbps) but with the known limitations of handoff and continuity.
On system 2 I only use the LAN network.

if you plan to use more than one of the USB ports on the adapter at the same time you should be aware that the card you linked will throttle throughput, as the PCIe x1 slot will limit the bandwidth available to the card. It also has too many ports to make them all useable.

You might be better served using this PCIe x4 Fresco Logic USB adapter card, cost more but shared bandwidth is better.

IF you only have a PCIe x1 slot available in your system then this card might be your answer. Also uses Fresco Logic FL1100 USB controller which is natively supported in macOS.

if you plan to use more than one of the USB ports on the adapter at the same time you should be aware that the card you linked will throttle throughput, as the PCIe x1 slot will limit the bandwidth available to the card. It also has too many ports to make them all useable.

You might be better served using this PCIe x4 Fresco Logic USB adapter card, cost more but shared bandwidth is better.

IF you only have a PCIe x1 slot available in your system then this card might be your answer. Also uses Fresco Logic FL1100 USB controller which is natively supported in macOS.

Thanks a lot mate! Thats a big help.
Yes I plan to use more than one usb simultanously.

Do you mind telling me if this would be good too, given your suggestions? I cant see what controller it uses or if its a Fresco, but its from the same company. I like this one cause it has 5 USB A ports

This one has 7

Thanks for your help. :)

If you need 7 additional USB3 ports, because you need to use them simultaneously, I would recommend you buy two USB adapter cards. Those PCIe x1 adapters you linked will struggle to perform if you have too many USB devices connected at the same time. So spreading the load across two cards will increase the bandwidth available to the devices.

As you are looking to purchase the USB adapters from Amazon I would take a chance on the one you like best, test it thoroughly as soon as you get it. So you can return it if it doesn’t perform as well as you need.

Ok got you. Then I will take one from your first suggestion.

Can I ask you, what about if I didnt buy a PCI-E card, and bought a USB Hub instead? Is there a difference in data transfer and speed etc? If not, can you recommend a USB Hub? I have heard of MTT, but cant find a USB Hub that has MTT. I already have one Elektron Overhub, but dont buy one again because of bad quality connecter.

EDIT: USB HUB will be ideal, because i can leave my only PCI-E slot for Thunderbolt. But Im not clear on data transfer etc. I will plug up music equipment like drum machines.

Thanks for your help.

The USB Hub would share the bandwidth of the parent port, i.e. if the hub is connected to a USB3 port on the rear I/O plate then all ports and devices connected through the hub would share the single ports bandwidth and throughput.

The PCIe x4 card will provide more bandwidth and throughput, which while still shared among the 5 ports, will not be as limited when multiple devices are connected. As there is more bandwidth available to use.

Mate, thanks so much. Learning a lot now. Another question please, what about implemented one of these things straight into the motherboard? How is bandwidth spread on these things compared to the PCI4 card? (Yes i have ports still available, i havent hit the 15 max - yet)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 17.05.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 17.05.39.png
    931.8 KB · Views: 12
One of those USB 3 adapters would provide 2 x USB3 (Physical) & 2 x USB2 (Virtual) ports from the motherboard USB3 header. All 4 x ports would need to be set with connector type USB3. Assuming you wanted and had enough capacity in your USBPorts.kext for all 4 x ports.

You could just add the 2 x USB3 Physical ports, if you only have room to add 2 x additional ports to the kext.

Each of the two ports will work with full USB3 speed (5Gbps) as the header provides two separate ports.

Back