Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

Hello, if I use a 12900k do I have to make modifications or am I better off sticking with the 12700k? thank you!

12900k will work just fine. Just know you'll need a compatible GPU as the iGPU will not work.

12900k will work just fine. Just know you'll need a compatible GPU as the iGPU will not work.
do you also know if other changes are necessary for an rx6600 or 6600xt instead of rx580

do you also know if other changes are necessary for an rx6600 or 6600xt instead of rx580
Typically you'll just need to add the boot arg agdpmod=pikera.

Note on GPU: Copied from another thread here.
  • A discrete GPU is required because Alder Lake's iGPU (UHD 770) is not supported in macOS.
  • Recommended GPUs are:
    • AMD RX 400 series, RX 500 series, RX 5000 series, RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900 XT.
    • AMD RX 6600 and 6600 XT are only supported in Monterey 12.1 and newer.
  • Boot Argument agdpmod=pikera should not be used on Vega 56, Vega 64, and Radeon VII.
  • Boot Argument agdpmod=pikera is required for AMD 5000 and 6000 series.

That can work, I do that on a couple of builds. Inside the OpenCore EFI folder there is a separate Microsoft subfolder. It ends up looking like the attached.

EDIT: There is also this information
Hi Leesureone, thank you for your report but it doesn't work.
I tried to replace the Microsoft folder present in the EFI of my Windows 11 with the one you attached but it completely freezes both by choosing Windows on the Opencore startup side and by selecting only the Windows disk by modifying the Bios (in the latter case at least with my folder works).
As I pointed out in my previous post the 2 SSDs are the same as I had before with the MSI Z590-i5 11400 configuration and they worked perfectly in dualboot. I assembled a new hackintosh with MSI Z690 and i5-12400 keeping the same previous disks, without doing any new installation and unfortunately the dualboot no longer works. I specify that I have also updated the bios of the MB to the latest realese 1.3
Now if I want to access Win11 I can only do it by modifying the Boot section of the bios.
If anyone has any suggestions I'm ready to experiment.
Happy Easter to all.

I tried to replace the Microsoft folder present in the EFI of my Windows 11 with the one you attached but it completely freezes both by choosing Windows on the Opencore startup side and by selecting only the Windows disk by modifying the Bios (in the latter case at least with my folder works).
As I pointed out in my previous post the 2 SSDs are the same as I had before with the MSI Z590-i5 11400 configuration and they worked perfectly in dualboot. I assembled a new hackintosh with MSI Z690 and i5-12400 keeping the same previous disks, without doing any new installation and unfortunately the dualboot no longer works. I specify that I have also updated the bios of the MB to the latest realese 1.3
Now if I want to access Win11 I can only do it by modifying the Boot section of the bios.
Happy Easter to all.
You can't use the one I uploaded, that was never the intent of my posting, it was just an example. You would need to find an copy the same information from your Windows EFI boot file

EDIT: Even the suggestion above may not work, you are aware you can hit the F11 key at boot and then decide which drive to boot from the boot menu that pops up?

Last edited:
Happy Easter to all.

Perhaps we should read up on any OC settings here that might be blocking Windows from loading.

Edit: didn't see @Leesureone's follow up post. Sitting this one out!

Hello if I follow your build, the only difference is I have a rtx3060, I don't really need the gpu power in the Mac side of things. If my gpu is installed and follow your guide, will it still work? I don't mind gpu not compatible on Mac side but when I boot up windows side, if it works 100% that should be fine

Hello if I follow your build, the only difference is I have a rtx3060, I don't really need the gpu power in the Mac side of things. If my gpu is installed and follow your guide, will it still work? I don't mind gpu not compatible on Mac side but when I boot up windows side, if it works 100% that should be fine

As you probably know, the RTX3060 won't work in macOS anyways. However, you will need an AMD GPU to run macOS. The UHD770 on the Alder Lake chip will not work.

Back