Graphics
MSI GTX 960 4GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have successfully installed Mac OS Sierra on an MSI GS63VR 6RF with the following specs.
Intel core i7 6700HQ (HD 530 graphics work without full acceleration)
16gb of ddr4 2400mghz
dedicated gtx 1060 6gb (Doesn't work)
killer ethernet (Works)
Realtek Audio (As far as I know but can't get it to work properly)
Keyboard and touchpad (I have yet to get these to work as well)
Intel AC8260 Wifi (Not working)
If anyone knows how to fix the keyboard/touchpad, wifi, audio, hd 530 graphics please let me know.

My Laptop is MSI GT72S 6QF-065CN,sound card is ALC898(0x10ec0899).
If you have the same sound card,you can try AppleALC use layout id 11.
I add it to AppleALC.

My Laptop is MSI GT72S 6QF-065CN,sound card is ALC898(0x10ec0899).
If you have the same sound card,you can try AppleALC use layout id 11.
I add it to AppleALC.
I will try using that for my sound because right now I just have analog sound and it blows. Was you able to get your keyboard and touchpad to work? I've added the voodoops2 Kexts to clover in the 10.12 folder but it doesn't work. I don't even know if it is ps/2

Well I did get the keyboard and touchpad to work using voodoops2controller
.kext and installing it to Libraray/Extensions with Kext beast but I can't adjust the speed of the trackpad and it is slow.

Was able to get the following working:
  • HD 530 (full acceleration following Rehabman's clover laptop boot guide + menu bar glitch fix)
  • Killer ethernet using AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext v2.2
  • Swapped out the wifi module with the BCM94532Z card. To get that working, I put FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi, BrcmFirmwareRepo, BrcmPatchRAM2 in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. Required a restart without cache which only works with older versions of clover. I'm using r3763.
  • Basic keyboard and trackpad functionality (using voodoops2controller. no multi-touch support)
  • prefpane display brightness slider (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/)
  • battery meter (installing ACPIBatteryManager.kext to SLE. Not perfect as it takes several seconds for the status to update after booting into OS X)
  • audio (injecting appleALC.kext with clover using layout-id 2. Needed to select the second line-out in the output device list. Choosing internal speakers doesn't work for some reason. Discovered this by sheer luck. Was stuck on this for a whole day)
  • keyboard bright controls (remapped f14 and f15 to something else since this notebook doesn't have them)
What's still not working:
  • bluetooth
  • trackpad prefpane
Feel free to send me any questions about this install.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm planning on buying this laptop, and I tend to use mac osx for webdevelopment as most pre-compilers/commandline tools are mainly focussed on unix systems. I'm just wondering, seems you got almost everything to work, is it stable enough to do this kind of work you think? And do you perhaps have a guide set of settings on how exactly you managed to install mac osx and all the drivers etc?

Was able to get the following working:
  • HD 530 (full acceleration following Rehabman's clover laptop boot guide + menu bar glitch fix)
  • Killer ethernet using AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext v2.2
  • Swapped out the wifi module with the BCM94532Z card. To get that working, I put FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi, BrcmFirmwareRepo, BrcmPatchRAM2 in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. Required a restart without cache which only works with older versions of clover. I'm using r3763.
  • Basic keyboard and trackpad functionality (using voodoops2controller. no multi-touch support)
  • prefpane display brightness slider (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/)
  • battery meter (installing ACPIBatteryManager.kext to SLE. Not perfect as it takes several seconds for the status to update after booting into OS X)
  • audio (injecting appleALC.kext with clover using layout-id 2. Needed to select the second line-out in the output device list. Choosing internal speakers doesn't work for some reason. Discovered this by sheer luck. Was stuck on this for a whole day)
  • keyboard bright controls (remapped f14 and f15 to something else since this notebook doesn't have them)
What's still not working:
  • bluetooth
  • trackpad prefpane
Feel free to send me any questions about this install.

Awesome, I'm planning to do the same as my old Macbook Pro 2012 is about to die.
I have a few questions:

- Are you on Sierra or El Capitan?
- Is the system slow without using the NVIDIA GPU?
- Do all the USB ports behave correctly?
- Does the HDMI port work?

Also, are there any changes required for the BIOS?

Cheers man, great job!

Ok, so I had started hacking away at this on my laptop and have - Functional intel 530 graphics, mouse and keyboard support, and ethernet support. For the life of me I am failing at getting the Apple HDA working and i know the horror of voodoo sound (past experiences). Anyone apple to help me with the patching to get it up and running? Also, has anyone gotten the HDMI out to work? I tried applying the 4 port patch to the Intel graphics and it booted to black screen only.

Update: Installing the Nvidia drivers for the 1060 got my HDMI port working, I am assuming it is still using the Intel graphics since optimus is not support by OSX

Last edited:
Just figured I would share this little nugget I found. After installing the Nvidia drivers, and plugging a monitor into the HDMI port, I saw that the it was using the Nvidia graphics for the monitor that was on that port. On a whim I changed the display to be the primary and then it changed both displays to be running on the Nvidia 1060, I am about to run Cinebench to see what its spits out. Seems that you can force the system to use the Nvidia card (my current setup is on power adapter and monitor through hdmi in order to trigger this)
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 10.57.29 AM.png

Edit: Cinebench confirms it used the card

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 11.04.30 AM.png

Just figured I would share this little nugget I found. After installing the Nvidia drivers, and plugging a monitor into the HDMI port, I saw that the it was using the Nvidia graphics for the monitor that was on that port. On a whim I changed the display to be the primary and then it changed both displays to be running on the Nvidia 1060, I am about to run Cinebench to see what its spits out. Seems that you can force the system to use the Nvidia card (my current setup is on power adapter and monitor through hdmi in order to trigger this)View attachment 254270

Edit: Cinebench confirms it used the card

View attachment 254271

You probably need to inject EDID to get the internal recognized from the start..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back