Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've had a working Hackintosh system with basically the below setup for around two years. I've been running on the Vega 64 since I upgraded to Mojave. After upgrading to Catalina, I purchased the 5700 XT, which I received and installed yesterday. Everything works great in Windows.

When I rebooted into Catalina, I got continual kernel panics on boot up. I played around with the settings, per some other threads on here. Somewhere along the line, I apparently really screwed something up, and instead of explicit kernel panics, the boot up process just terminates near the beginning:

Catalina Boot.jpg

I note that the boot process doesn't always end in that exact location. Sometimes it gets a little farther; sometimes it stops after the "The Regents of" Line.

I've replaced the config.plist with a known-working version I keep in case I do something stupid. It's attached. I've also, variously, reinstalled the Vega 64, had no graphics card installed and used the integrated graphics, and disconnected all drives except Catalina. I've adjusted BIOS settings, as well. (Currently, the BIOS settings mirror those in this thread.)

Since nothing was working, I figured I'd try with a clean installation of Mojave. I created a USB flash drive using Unibeast, per the Installation Guide on here. I had no issues creating the drive. When I try to install, however, I get this:

Mojave Install Boot.jpg

Again, it's not booting. It's hanging on the AppleNVMe Assert failed, I assume. I relied on this thread to work around the issue, but I've had no success. Again, I'm using a known-working config.plist.

At this point, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Full setup:

Gigabyte z270x Ultra Gaming
i7-7700k
64GB RAM, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 MHz DDR4
Original Graphics Card (and the one currently in the system): Sapphire Vega 64
New Graphics Card: XFX 5700XT Thicc II
Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

Attachments

• Catalina Boot.jpg
    Catalina Boot.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 76
You may need this patch :

Deleted, duplicate.

Last edited:
You may need this patch :

Many thanks. Unfortunately, that patch did not work.

DSC04648.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back