nVidia 9600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!
I have the most strange case in mice history.

I own two hackintoshs (two protools systems) side by side with one set of keyboard and mouse and a KVM switch. They have worked for years this way with 10.6.8 on both machines. A year ago I installed teleport to make faster switching because I have dedicated monitors. But still keep the KVM connected just in case the net is down or one machine off.

And now the mistery: some days ago the mouse click stopped working in one machine. But I realized that I can click on the dock items and it works but nowhere else. No menu, no desktop items. It will just work in the dock items. When switched to the other machine using KVM it will work fine (tested two mighy mice with same results, but my Kengsington trackball works fine). And if I go back into the first machine but using Teleport, left click will work again. But not right click.

This happened once and was corrected after system reboot. Now I cannot make it work day after day.

Any clue?

Plug your mouse directly into the system it isn't working on to eliminate the KVM as the culprit?

Plug your mouse directly into the system it isn't working on to eliminate the KVM as the culprit?

Sure, first thing I tried.
But the strange thing is that clicks work o the dock (I can open apps and switch between them) but nowhere else in the screen!

This really sounds like a software problem since the mouse works on another system. Have you removed (temporarily) Teleport from starting up on the offending computer?

Yes, and even booted from a backup system partition, and the same happens. It fails with two different mighty mice but works with my old Kensington expert trackball.

Most puzzling! Dead or dying batteries? Mouse or trackpad settings in System Properties could be messed up somehow? (although I don't see how).

Indeed!
No batteries. They are two wired USB mighty mice.
Said this is strange.

Facts: Hackintosh 1 --->
KVM --> apple USB mouse and keyboard
Hackintosh 2 -->

When KVM is swithed to Hack2 works perfectly well, as expected

When KVM is swithed to Hack1, mouse clicks will not be recognized EXCEPT in the left self-hiding dock area. You can switch applications from here and right click will work too. Outside the dock area, clicks will NOT work.
This will be the same with two different mighty mice, even plugged directly into the USB port (bypassing the KVM)
The Kensington Expert trackball will work fine in every way I connect it. And those mice will work fine in other computers.

If KVM is Switched to Hack2 and put back into Hack1 using teleport, left click will work everywhere in the screen, but right click nowhere. (I have to use opt click)

I loaded system from another system disk and found the same behaivour.

When controlling from Share Screen, all works fine.

I cannot think of a software problem. Though hardware problem is not likely to be so strange.
But what puzzles me most is this fact that left click works in the dock items only. This does look like a software problem... But two separeta system disk suddenly with the same problem? Can only think of a virus! 14 years using Macs and never had one! Nor antivirus!
I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back