Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion Slower Boot Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attachment removed! Please don't reupp those kexts in the future!

After installing the ML 10.8.1 Update, all your Systems will be kernel panicing.

This is not true, just updated to 10.8.1 and I didn't get any KP. Using all 3 kexts.
The MB is GB P67 and booting in about 10 seconds.

OK, so removing kernelcache=yes reduces boot time from 35 seconds to 17 seconds for me. So, what did I just do by removing that and does it affect anything else?

You simply don't load the kexts from the Cache in /S/L/C/c/S but at boottime from /S/L/E, and with an SSD it's not significant slower. You can try also to boot with "UseKernelCache=yes" again in boot.plist and additional add "debug=8 ahcidisk=1" to the kernel flags. For me, with my 6850 GPU my boot.plist looks like that...

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v darkwake=0 debug=8 ahcidisk=1</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Try it and compare the boottime w/o UseKernelCache and with UseKernelCache+debug=8 ahcidisk=1

This is not true, just updated to 10.8.1 and I didn't get any KP.
That's strange, for me and others it does KP. -> http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-tuning/66586-ssd-slow-boot-speed.html
Using all 3 kexts.
The MB is GB P67 and booting in about 10 seconds.
Which 3 kexts? They mentioned to replace 2 ML kexts with the equivalent from Lion; AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext. The 10.8.1 Update installs 5 new kexts; AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, IO80211Family.kext; IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext and System.kext. The new installed IOAHCIFamily.kext from 10.8.1 isn't compatible with the AppleAHCIPort.kext from Lion and on my System it complains dependencies were broken between the mentioned kexts and gave me a KP. Specs. see my Profile.

This may or may not help. After the 10.8.1 update noticed that Trim wasn't supported on my SSD's and that what were showing as internal Drives(Marvel controller) were now external on my desktop. Even with the 3rd party disc options in MultiBeast. I then moved my sata ports over to all the intel and boot time is insanely fast again. I moved them back and slow boot times again. So now they are all on the intel controllers and I haven't edited S/L/E kexts. Or used UKC=Yes/No. This may be just through coincidence but it it truly working. Like I said may or may not help. But editing kext this early in OS means editing every update.

You simply don't load the kexts from the Cache in /S/L/C/c/S but at boottime from /S/L/E, and with an SSD it's not significant slower. You can try also to boot with "UseKernelCache=yes" again in boot.plist and additional add "debug=8 ahcidisk=1" to the kernel flags. For me, with my 6850 GPU my boot.plist looks like that...

Try it and compare the boottime w/o UseKernelCache and with UseKernelCache+debug=8 ahcidisk=1

OK I think I understand about the kernel cache, except that you say on an SSD it is not significantly slower either way, yet on mine, not using kernelcache cut the boot time in half.

What is the "DropSSDT" in the first line of your boot.plist?

OK, so using those two flags and adding back kernel cache=yes shaves another 5 seconds off boot time. Down to 12 seconds now.

What is the "DropSSDT" in the first line of your boot.plist?

Tells the bootloader to load an installed SSDT.aml from your /Extra Folder.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-26 um 21.40.24.jpg

This may or may not help. After the 10.8.1 update noticed that Trim wasn't supported on my SSD's and that what were showing as internal Drives(Marvel controller) were now external on my desktop. Even with the 3rd party disc options in MultiBeast. I then moved my sata ports over to all the intel and boot time is insanely fast again. I moved them back and slow boot times again. So now they are all on the intel controllers and I haven't edited S/L/E kexts. Or used UKC=Yes/No. This may be just through coincidence but it it truly working. Like I said may or may not help. But editing kext this early in OS means editing every update.

Nice find...this might be useful for Users with a similar MoBo, for me (GA-H76N-USB3-B3) it was a no go...don't work :(

With ML I was hit with another kind of delay.
After displaying the message "waiting for dmos" "macosx_swapon SUCCESS" the progress seems to stop.
But looking in to the bootlog brings the verdict to the table.
OSX sits and waits. It is looking for the same UUID as it did in Lion. In Lion this works without hickup.
Very strange to say this delay counts exactly 30 seconds if display settings set to mirroring=on.
Otherwise the delay increases to 60 seconds. After that period OSX gives up and assumes the wanted UUID to 0000-0000- etc.

Tried a fresh install, changed the smbios.plist, several settings as recommended in chameleon.boot.plist.
Nada. No success.

ATI 5450 works ok. QE,CE,resolution, tilt, etc.

Found a second bug. May exists in Lion too, but I did not use Lion frequently.
OSX panics if it can not establish a proper configuration for the wired Ethernet-NIC.
While processing the Realtek.kext , either in separate file or integrated in /S/L/E/IONetworking.kext, OSX panics.

Tried both kexts installed from lnx2mac and the native Gigabit.kext too (from within Multibeast).
It fails if the cable is not pluged in or the router / switch is absent or switched to off.
Tried all possible settings (DHCP vs. static IP, auto vs. manual speed,..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back