Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion Slow Boot Up Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, do you use a SSD ? If yes, what brand are you using as I'm looking for one at the moment. I got a few candidates but have not decide yet

Yes, my SSD is Intel 240. Working relatively good, but I haven't tested it thoroughly.

Yes, my SSD is Intel 240. Working relatively good, but I haven't tested it thoroughly.

Finally I bought 2 Intel 330 60GB SSDs and RAID0 them, my ML boots around 7secs....

I had the same problem with the 10.8.1 update too - you must roll back to ML kexts!

Modification original Kext

kext_dir=/System/Library/Extensions
cd $kext_dir/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo mv IOAHCIBlockStorage IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig
sudo cp IOAHCIBlockStorage.orig IOAHCIBlockStorage
#patch relocation table for our patch point - kprintf() -> IOSleep()
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xea\x03|\xeb\x4c\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
#Make unconditional call to IOSleep(200) at beginning of kext
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\xa5\x90\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch $kext_dir

@netgear this looks more promising - I presume it is patching the ML IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext? Where did this patch come from and what does it do? I'd like to understand why the boot time is slower in ML and what this kext is doing?

thanks Orlando

Awesome! You just made my day as this had been plaguing me since launch. Now ML boots up in 2.5 seconds as Lion did. Honestly though, I needed to replace those 2 kexts in DP4, and had forgot I needed to so I would not hang on "still waiting for root device...". Reading your post gave me an "Oh SNAP!" moment. :p

I hope Apple addresses this in the next update; I hate rolling back. It's bad enough I had to roll back the IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts to get USB 3 working. Ah well, me happy again! :p

@Bansaku - you have almost the same MB as me - how do you get USB 3 working? I have GAP67A-UD5-B3 and all my USB 3 ports are connected by VIA hubs - I have never managed to get the to work - do your ports work or do you have some USB 3 ports directly connected to the chipset?

cheers Orlando

cd $kext_dir/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xbb\x4b\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\xbb\x4b\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\xb2\x91\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch $kext_dir

Thank you work insanelymac...

For me I just enabled extreme hard drives in BIos. I don't even see the spinning wheel anymore. Just a slight screen flicker and then Enter password screen appears. NO edited kext. :headbang:

sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xbb\x4b\x00\x00\xeb\x03|\xbb\x4b\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\xb2\x91\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage
sudo touch $kext_dir

Thank you work insanlynac...

That patch totally bricked my system? Had to restore from backup in the end.....

For me I just enabled extreme hard drives in BIos. I don't even see the spinning wheel anymore. Just a slight screen flicker and then Enter password screen appears. NO edited kext. :headbang:

I dont understand - if I enable extreme hard drives then that enables a RAID setup which my install of OSX wont boot up on at all?

Did you simply enable it? - not mess about with RAID setup in the BIOS post screen?

I dont understand - if I enable extreme hard drives then that enables a RAID setup which my install of OSX wont boot up on at all?

Did you simply enable it? - not mess about with RAID setup in the BIOS post screen?

I was booting off the Marvell chips for 10.8.1 on the board. Yes it sent the system into Raid, by doing this I lost the windows side of things and storage drives on the intel chipset Showing in OSX. It booted so fast but it was only to try and get the boot time down. It wont boot this way for you as you are connected to the intel chipset i believe in XHD.

To get over this as before when I did the update my drives were showing as eternal. Even with the correct Disk options in Multibeast selected. I think that the update did more to the disk management, and if you are running an SSD it removed trim support, Now i have all my drives on the intel chipset only. I should have posted more clarity of this on friday. And as before put the ACHI settiing back it boots just as quick still no loading circle. If you are connected to the grey ports, try using the white ones for OSX/Win7/8 and put the rest of the drives on the blue ports.

Select in Finder/preferences/Hard Disk/External and ensure that they are all showing internal(not orange). If they are external for some reason it slows the boot down considerably.

Hope this clarifies a bit better. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back