Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion HDMI Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed. Restarted. Audio from DVI port only.

Test conditions:

I only have 1 HDMI sink device & 1 1920x1200 DVI SyncMaster Monitor.

Test Conditions A:
(IOReg-Prim DVI HDTV w Aud-Sec DP SyncMaster.zip)
Quadro4000 DVI => DVI to HDMI Adapter => HDMI cable => Pioneer SC-57 AV Receiver => Samsung 1920x1080 HDTV
Quadro4000 DP => DP++ to DVI Adapter => DVI cable => Samsung SyncMaster DVI 1920x1200 Monitor

Results:
SC-57 Appears in System Preferences => Sound => Output list
Working HDMI audio from Quadro4000 DVI port through SC-57 AV Receiver
Test equipment does not permit simultaneous testing of Quadro4000 DP port

Test Conditions B:
(IOReg-Prim DVI SyncMaster-Sec DP HDTV w/o Aud.zip)
Quadro4000 DVI => DVI cable => Samsung SyncMaster DVI 1920x1200 Monitor
Quadro4000 DP => DP++ to HDMI Adapter => HDMI cable => Pioneer SC-57 AV Receiver => Samsung 1920x1080 HDTV

Results:
SC-57 Does not Appear in System Preferences => Sound => Output list
No working HDMI audio from Quadro4000 DP port through SC-57 AV Receiver
Test equipment does not permit simultaneous testing of Quadro4000 DVI port

Also noted monitors not auto-syncing to new monitors when test conditions changed- had to reboot in between tests to get monitors back. Can't provide complete observations as to whether it was both, one, HDMI only, DVI only at this time. Will take further testing if necessary.

Two IOReg Files attached with filenames corresponding to those listed in 'Test Conditions A' & 'Test Conditions B' above.

Attachments

• IOReg-Prim DVI HDTV w Aud-Sec DP SyncMaster.zip
    417.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IOReg-Prim DVI SyncMaster-Sec DP HDTV w:o Aud.zip
    406.3 KB · Views: 57
Installed. Restarted. Audio from DVI port only.
DVI audio expected. All Fermi and Kepler cards support HDMI audio (w/adapters) on all ports. DP audio problem is not normal. Verify adapter is DP 1.3 or better (i.e., supports audio). Many DP2HDMI adapters available do not support DP audio.

I have 4 DP-to-HDMI adapters.

2 are made in China and sold by Cable Matters, not cheap ($11.97 ea), listed as DP v1.2 & HDMI v1.3. 162 reviews on Amazon, 117 are 5 star, 20 are 4 star. Many times Amazon mixes similar items from different manufacturers into the same pool. I went through quite a few and found quite a few that specifically mentioned the Cable Matters brand and further said they got HDMI audio. One of these was used for my first test which didn't work.

Next I tried an untested Startech DP male-to-DVI female connected to a tested and known working Startech DVI male-to-HDMI female to simulate the Cable Matters DP male-to-HDMI female adapter. This did not work.

Without rebooting, I next I tried the second Cable Matters DP male-to-HDMI female adapter I have, and it worked-including HDMI audio. Out of curiosity, without rebooting, I tried the first Cable Matters DP male-to-HDMI female adapter and now it worked- including HDMI audio. I rebooted and HDMI audio was gone.

Next I tried the first of 2 Chinese DP male-to-HDMI female adapter that I bought some time ago that were shipped directly from China even though purchased from a US seller and did not resemble the photo in the ad on Amazon. I got a big pop in the audio and no video... the monitor said it had established a 1080p connection but never showed a picture and after a few seconds it lost sync. I tried wiggling the cable, tried rebooting, got a pop in the audio an indication of 1080p then a green flash and no sync, no audio- a dud. I powered down and installed the second cheap Chinese DP male-to-HDMI female adapter. Powered up, had good picture and audio. Wiggled cable around, everything working okay. I powered down and back up again, good video and audio, powered down and back up again, no audio. I had taken care to not touch the cable or adapter at any time.

Next, I installed the first Cable Matters adapter I tried that had good video and no audio and powered up... now audio was working fine. I rebooted without touching anything, and no audio again.

All cables and equipment involved in testing have been used for the last week and a half with MacMinis & ML 10.8.2 with GTX650Ti cards and have worked flawlessly and never had a failure of video or audio. Prior to that it had all been used with several MacMinis and Lion through the HD3000 HDMI outputs on the H67N-USB3-B3 motherboards and never experienced a single problem. The only things new introduced into the test path are the DP male-to-HDMI female adapters, the DP port on the Quadro4000 which has not been used up until now, and ML itself.

I didn't experience any audio failures with ML and the DVI-to-HDMI adapter and video and audio worked every time through those, although I did very limited testing with those because the DVI port is normally connected to my Samsung SyncMaster DVI input which has no audio capability.

The Quadro4000 DP connector could be a source of problems but it is low on my list of suspects, as I was never able to make it either fail or restart once it had failed by wiggling it. One possible suspect might be the Nvidia kext is flakey when doing HDCP detection, another might be the Quadro4000 clock frequency might be out of spec enough to cause difficulties doing HDCP detection. I have another identical system in my home office/workshop AKA my second bedroom and when I get a chance to haul it out to the living room where my HDTV is, I'll install the modded DSDT and see if it behaves differently than the build I've been testing.

Perhaps the next step in my test plan is to put the Windows 7 drive I built up for this computer back in and update to the latest Nvidia drivers and do some testing there to try and isolate if this is a hardware or software issue.

Another thought would be to enable HDMI audio on my Lion build and see if the the same problem exists there.

If you have any further ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter and how to isolate the source of failures.

Link to Cable Matters adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H3I38Q/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your preAppleHDA IOReg, shoes a Lion AppleHDA and pinconfigs with ALC8xxHDA.kext installed which is why you did not have audio then. Post a screenshot of the BIOS version and the BIOS screen with the Azalia setting (include choices). Can you do a clean install on a separate partition?

Sorry it has been awhile; Work, who needs it?! Attached are pictures of my BIOS version and the Azalia Screen with options. I am installing on a separate partition currently. Let me know if there is anything I should do differently on the partition install.

Attachments

• Bios Version.jpg
    Bios Version.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Azalia Bios.jpg
    Azalia Bios.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 404
  • Azalia options.jpg
    Azalia options.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 196
I am installing on a separate partition currently. Let me know if there is anything I should do differently on the partition install.
What version is the BIOS? Regarding the fresh install, do not install MultiBeat audio. With the native AppleHDA.kext installed, reply with console messages and IOReg.

All cables and equipment involved in testing have been used for the last week and a half with MacMinis & ML 10.8.2 with GTX650Ti cards and have worked flawlessly and never had a failure of video or audio. Prior to that it had all been used with several MacMinis and Lion through the HD3000 HDMI outputs on the H67N-USB3-B3 motherboards and never experienced a single problem. The only things new introduced into the test path are the DP male-to-HDMI female adapters, the DP port on the Quadro4000 which has not been used up until now, and ML itself.

The Quadro4000 DP connector could be a source of problems but it is low on my list of suspects, as I was never able to make it either fail or restart once it had failed by wiggling it. One possible suspect might be the Nvidia kext is flakey when doing HDCP detection, another might be the Quadro4000 clock frequency might be out of spec enough to cause difficulties doing HDCP detection.
The H67N does not have DP. Frankly, I'm not sure any of your DP to HDMI adapters are working properly. Wiggling a digital cable is an unreliable test technique. A kext problem is unlikely. Reply with an IOReg when DP audio is working and when it is not with the exact same setup.

Hi, Toleda!

Mirone is working with me to enable both AppleHDA support for my VIA1705 CODEC and HDMI audio under Lion. But i also created a partition and installed 10.8.2 on it. Tried the steps you pointed me, but no dice. Can you help me? Attached is IOReg plus Edited DSDT: View attachment Connactic.zip

Thank you very much and all the best!

i also created a partition and installed 10.8.2 on it. Tried the steps you pointed me, but no dice. Can you help me? Attached is IOReg plus Edited DSDT: View attachment 48780
Consider VIA onboard and HDMI audio to be two projects. HDMI audio works with native ML AppleHDA.kext. Get HDMI audio to work and that gives you a stable configuration to go back to when testing onboard. No HDEF in IOReg; is the audio codec enabled in the BIOS? No HDMI audio edits in dsdt. Reply with a screenshot of DPCIManager/Status, DPCIManager 1.5 Open Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back