Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on ASUS G74sx from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

i was just wondering if you get random freezes ? I also have this laptop and get random freezes with nvidia 560m. Does the new driver from nvidia solve this ?

Thanks. Also nice guide. I will try it as soon as possible if I get a positive answer to this question :)

Hello there,

i was just wondering if you get random freezes ? I also have this laptop and get random freezes with nvidia 560m. Does the new driver from nvidia solve this ?

Thanks. Also nice guide. I will try it as soon as possible if I get a positive answer to this question :)

Maybe the new Nvidia driver fixes this, but i get random freezes from Bluetooth i guess; since the bluetooth kexts are not stable at all.

I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the laptop can see the 2.4ghz but i try to connect to it and it just shows exclamation point.

it's not about the laptop hardware, it's up to wireless kexts themselves. Switch wireless signal to a/b or b or b/g, in another words; don't include wireless N in there and it will work just fine.

So you mean to disable wireless n in the router. I will give it a go. Also can someone send me the link for the nvidia driver, i tried to use the one that was in the install guide but the laptop kept giving me an error. And does anyone have any success with the webcam?

How did you verify it works if you can't boot? Just wondering...

I successfully patched the original DSDT with the patch you linked. I also installed the voodoo kext you linked and deleted previous ps2 kexts to avoid any conflict. I also deleted AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, which in truth I am not sure if is better to keep or not, I'll have to google it. Anyway, your kext + DSDT patched, backlight working properly.

Attachments

• G74SX_backlight_working_DSDT.aml.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 145
I successfully patched the original DSDT with the patch you linked. I also installed the voodoo kext you linked and deleted previous ps2 kexts to avoid any conflict. I also deleted AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, which in truth I am not sure if is better to keep or not, I'll have to google it. Anyway, your kext + DSDT patched, backlight working properly.

Believe me, you do not want AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext if you are using my VoodooPS2Controller.kext. The nub is built-in to my version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext. If you have another present, it *will* cause problems.

then I did good deleting it. Everything seems to work fine. The only small problem I find is that sometimes cpu goes a bit up with temperature, and fans start to run faster. Apart of that, system is quite stable. I also replaced the wifi card with another which is recognized automatically by system, and without bluetooth, to avoid any problem with that. Also, with your kext f7-f8-f9 keys seems to control volume.

Thanks for the great guide. Does OpenCL work for you? OpenCL Oceanwave does give me a good score around 315. Luxmark shows a black screen when I run it.

I used the Mulitbeast patching for OpenCL in the frameworks with Graphics cards vram greater than 2GB. I have the retail G74SX with GTX570M and not the one from best buy with only 2GB and lower resolution. I also used mulitbeast patch for the Liby.

I have not installed the Nvidia drivers yet, and not sure if this wil fix the luxmark issue? WIll the nvidia driver replace those kexts?

WHen you wake from sleep do you get a black screen? Does the Nvidia driver fix this? I had sleep/wake working flawlessly in 10.8.0

Mulitbeast installs a voodoo trackpad which I will remove and replace with your kexts, ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

My DSDT was from a Mald0n patch a couple years ago. I have to compare my DSDT to yours. I may modify the Graphics section for the vram to show up correctly in System Report and add also add the backlight script to mine.

EDIT:

I have a Dell Wireless and using the RT driver for the ethernet from, Multibeast so I will not need the IO89211Family.kext WHat is IONetworkingFamily.kext needed for after getting the RT ethernet kext from Mulitbeast?

What was modified in the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext? WHat are they needed for? I have them as vanilla right now and don't see any issue other than what I stated above about sleep and luxmark.

I don't suffer from the orange icons and maybe its because of my DSDT not sure or don't remember. SO I am holding off on the Injectors for that. What about the IOUSBFamily.kext? Is this needed when using the PXHCD.kext for USB 3? Not really using USB 3 right now only USB2 and working fine. USB 3 port does not work so I am assuming the IOUSBMassStorageCLass.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext fix this?

I don't think I have bluetooth.

What is the IOath3kfrmwr.kext used for?

Won't need the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext any longer, I have successfully patched my BIOS from the another forum titled PMPatch UEFI patching utility. I used the the Asus BIOS utility within the Bios to update the firmware.

nice work guys

then I did go deleting it. Everything seems to work fine. The only small problem I find is that sometimes cpu goes a bit up with temperature, and fans start to run faster. Apart of that, system is quite stable. I also replaced the wifi card with another which is recognized automatically by system, and without bluetooth, to avoid any problem with that. Also, with your kext f7-f8-f9 keys seems to control volume.

You might try the newer version of my Voodoo (linked in that same post for the backlight keyboard). The one you're using was really just a test build and it has the keyboard mappings for the Probook (a simple Info.plist edit could change it). But look at the other version linked in the post (more features including momentum scroll, still has the keyboard backlight support, etc.)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...oller-keyboard-trackpad-clickpad-support.html

I am continuing to improve the driver day-by-day and, in fact, and getting towards a "final" non-beta release sometime this week I think (famous last words).

Almost all laptops need some tweaking to the Fn+fkey keyboard mappings since the scan codes for the fn+fkeys vary. Some even don't show up as regular keys at all because they are dealt with via ACPI/WMI... You can run the debug version of my kext and look at the Console kernel.log output to determine scan codes and whatnot. Then refer to the keyboard remapping wiki on github: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back