Contribute
Register

Motherboard replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
even an i3-4130 is 6 dollars.

To wrap this up…

I got a cheap i3 CPU off Ebay and put it in the used ASUS board. The computer started with no error beeps from the speaker (I tested the speaker with no RAM to make sure it works). This leads me to believe my CPU was the issue.

However, I get no video out with either HDMI or VGA. There was black crud on the IO board when I got it. Who knows? Bottom line is I'm sending the ASUS back. If it had worked I would have just re-sold it.

I tested my Gigabyte board and it wouldn't start. If it wasn't dead before I probably killed it trying to get it to boot with the bad CPU.

If I didn't mention it before I got a new power supply and that didn't help. That's already been returned to Micro Center.

I'm typing this on my new Mac Studio M1 Max so it's probably adios to hackintoshing for me. It was fun while it lasted!

I got a cheap i3 CPU off Ebay and put it in the used ASUS board. The computer started with no error beeps from the speaker (I tested the speaker with no RAM to make sure it works). This leads me to believe my CPU was the issue.

However, I get no video out with either HDMI or VGA. There was black crud on the IO board when I got it. Who knows? Bottom line is I'm sending the ASUS back. If it had worked I would have just re-sold it.
Nice work. Thanks for the follow up post. So it looks like both the CPU and the board had problems that are not fixable. Buying used PC hardware is always a gamble. Hope you like the new M1 Max, should give you many years of service without headaches like this.

Hey i see you mention a dell optiplex 9020 ! thats what im currently using right now but it has windows 10 on it but can i use that machine to get all mac os ventura oe monterey to work ?

can i use that machine to get all mac os ventura oe monterey to work ?
Monterey is supported. Use Macmini 7,1 SMBIOS and the HD4600 iGPU.

Monterey is supported. Use Macmini 7,1 SMBIOS and the HD4600 iGPU.

so ventura isn't right ? or not yet ?

No support for the HD4600 graphics. Only way to use Ventura is with a supported AMD card.
sapphire/asus/gigabyte 6600 XT works with ventura ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back