Contribute
Register

Motherboard replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've ordered a board off of Ebay and hopefully the seller knows what they're talking about when they describe it as "working perfectly". You've got to assume they haven't really tested all the RAM slots and SATA connections…and I'll be using them all.

Well the new motherboard is not the solution. I've tried a new power supply and that's not it either. All that's left is the CPU. The computer first powers up, then the CPU fan runs for several seconds, then everything stops. After that nothing but a twitch with the fans when I hit the power button.

Looks like a Mac Studio is in my future.

Well the new motherboard is not the solution. I've tried a new power supply and that's not it either. All that's left is the CPU. The computer first powers up, then the CPU fan runs for several seconds, then everything stops. After that nothing but a twitch with the fans when I hit the power button.
Take a magnifying glass and look really closely at the Pins in the CPU socket. Even one bent, damged pin can cause this. I rarely ever see a failed CPU, even really old ones. If by chance the CPU has failed Intel will replace it free if they find it faulty through their tests.

Also try removing everything... no cards in slots, no drives connected. Just the CPU and 1 ram stick. See if you get anywhere from there. Do you have a speaker attached (for system beeps)?

Take a magnifying glass and look really closely at the Pins in the CPU socket. Even one bent, damged pin can cause this. I rarely ever see a failed CPU, even really old ones. If by chance the CPU has failed Intel will replace it free if they find it faulty through their tests.
This is basically the same thing my Gigabyte board was doing and I don't see how a pin could get damaged when the CPU had never been removed.

I don't see how a pin could get damaged when the CPU had never been removed.
Check the pins on both motherboards. What is there to lose other than a minute of your time ?

Check the pins on both motherboards. What is there to lose other than a minute of your time ?
I see a dodgy spot on the Gigabyte (not sure if it's bent) but the Asus looks clean.

BTW a few months ago I noticed my CPU was getting hot so I repasted. Seemed to work but I'm wondering if the damage was done.

Last edited:
I see a dodgy spot on the Gigabyte (not sure if it's bent) but the Asus looks clean.

BTW a few months ago I noticed my CPU was getting hot so I repasted. Seemed to work but I'm wondering if the damage was done.
It could be bad RAM for all we know?

Next I would try installing any known working Haswell CPU into the socket and then see if it boots to BIOS. Any celeron or pentium with an iGPU will work. Those are dirt cheap on Ebay if you don't have one for testing. If that CPU lets you boot to the BIOS with no problems then you know for sure the CPU has failed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back