Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170xp-sli
CPU
I7- 6700k
Graphics
Integrated for now
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone have an opinion on the Gigabyte z170xp-sli or the Gigabyte z170x ud3? I'm not stuck on Gigabyte if someone has a better idea. I chose Gigabyte for two reasons: 1. it seems to be fairly easy to use on a hackintosh and 2. the BIOS seems fairly easy to work with. I'm probably overthinking all this but it seems like theres an awful lot of "hackers" using ASUS boards. Is there a particular reason for this or is it just up for personal preference. I'm not a gamer just a programmer. I just like to have plenty of USB. Really the only requirement i have is it needs to have an 1151 socket for the i7 6700k my buddy bought me. I'd like to tinker around with overclocking a little bit just because i can, so i'd like a board thats somewhat overclocking friendly. Thoughts?

I've only ever built a system based on an Asus motherboard so I can't really speak for how well Gigabyte motherboards work, but I think it's fair to say that Gigabyte is probably the most popular choice among hackintoshers. I don't think you'd have any issues with either of the choices you've listed.

That being said, there's no reason to shy away from Asus either. My Asus motherboard has proven to be very reliable, user friendly, and a great overclocker. Based on all that I've read, the installation process is largely the same regardless of which motherboard brand you choose. I am unaware of any special procedures need with different brands of motherboards. I think it's more important to choose a motherboard with the features you want/need than to limit yourself to any particular brand.

In my opinion, when choosing a motherboard, don't base it on the USB port count because macOS has a "15 port limitation". When addressing this limitation the "proper" way, a few ports will probably be disabled anyway. In regards to overclocking, I have had really good overclocking results with my Asus motherboard. I got 4.8GHz from my i7-6700K and 5.1GHz from my i7-7700K. These were achieved on air cooling, albeit with delidded CPUs. I used the included Asus A.I. Suite software to do the overclocking and it worked great.

at this point, its pretty much all personal preference.

gigabyte being the preferred board choice manufacturer comes from 775 days, where they were pretty much the only board manufacturer using the combo of realtek alc audio and realtek lan (what you wanted when those were the closest to what apple used, and there was good driver support in the community), whereas other brands were using via audio and atheros lan etc.

my first hackintosh board was an asus p7p55d which had a 'good' lan controller but via audio (voodoohda needed) however the board itself was great, sleep on timer worked, sleep in general was fine, there were no usb issues (at a time where giga boards needed a dsdt fix for usb iirc). the audio wasnt great though. this scenario was pretty much the same for all board makers except gigabyte, who still were using the more osx compatible realtek/realtek duo.

from 1155 onwards, the 'main 4' consumer boards (gigabyte/asus/msi/asrock) all used fully compatible audio and lan controllers, so the differences became negligible. all (except gigabyte in the beginning) were using uefi which as we know is much better for osx use. the downside was with the uefi implimentation of these other companies was that there was an issue with power management, which depending on how you look at it was easily fixed (could be hard or soft fixed). when giga brought out uefi for 1155, they didnt have power management issues out the box. so giga was still the easiest solution out of the box at that point.

from 1150 onwards, all brands have pretty much been identical in terms of osx usage.
all use uefi without issue, all have boards with compatible controllers for audio lan.
this forum used to be gigabyte orientated because the mission of the site (as i see it) is to provide the easiest and cleanest solution to get osx on pc hardware, so thats what was recommended from the top down. as time has moved on, the site now recommends a variety of brands top down, and the results are seen in user builds from all manufacturers.

my personal preference has been asus since my 775 board died in 2008. i now use an msi board just because it looked good and the colour of the board matched my gfx card! it doesnt really matter.

asking opinions of what people think is a better brand of osx nowadays is imo pointless as what itll be based on either brand loyalty, or lack of awareness due to lack of experience in other brands, or simply because someone wants to reinforce their purchase decision and not feel buyers remorse.

get what you can afford and comes with what you need

Ok thanks for the input. Is there a good comparable Asus board in the 100-120 usd range that would compare to the gigabyte z170xp-sli?
I haven't bought the gigabyte yet but I've never bought a board so I guess it's just a matter of choosing one now. I don't have an experience with any board besides the one that came in my dell xps 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back