Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Laptop make & model name > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
R9 M370X
It appears that if you replaced your existing Apple SSD with a new one from another manufacturer, the firmware update can fail. Which results in the whole install / update failing.

Creating a USB installer doesn't solve the problem.

Some people have installed their original SSD, finished the upgrade on that (including the firmware update), and then been able to run the upgrade on their current SSD.

So, the firmware update doesn't appear to impact the SSD itself, even if it fails because of it. And Monterey itself can be installed on a non-Apple SSD.

I... Don't have my original SSD, so I can't use the above technique to finish the install.

Does anyone have ideas for how to find and run the firmware update independently in a way that doesn't conflict with the currently installed SSD so I can get that out of the way and upgrade to Monterey?

And, has anyone heard any news that Apple knows about the problem and is going to fix it?

The worst-case scenario: You may need to go back to your original Snow Leopard DVD purchased from Apple, and progressively upgrade from that point.

I'm sure I can go to a shop that services Macs and (pay money to) get an HD to get go through the process with, but... Apple really needs to release just the firmware update (or fix the installer)

The installer is fine.

To get any useful suggestions, though, you'll need to provide a lot more information. Starting with the type of motherboard you're using; for example, mine is an ASUS Prime Z490-A. Also, whether you're using Clover or OpenCore as a bootloader, and the respective versions of whichever you're using.

Describe in detail what you've tried, and what's failed. Get your terminologies right, wherever possible. Also, specify the macOS version you're using, and wish to upgrade from.

It's a process ;) Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The installer is fine.

To get any useful suggestions, though, you'll need to provide a lot more information. Starting with the type of motherboard you're using; for example, mine is an ASUS Prime Z490-A. Also, whether you're using Clover or OpenCore as a bootloader, and the respective versions of whichever you're using.

Describe in detail what you've tried, and what's failed. Get your terminologies right, wherever possible. Also, specify the macOS version you're using, and wish to upgrade from.

It's a process ;) Good luck.
I have a regular Mid 2015 Macbook Pro. The only non-Apple thing in it is the SSD.

And this problem is widely mentioned on the internet. I was just putting it on a different site to see if someone here has any ideas.

The Installer is fine... As long as you have the original Apple SSD. But, for people who replaced out their SSDs, a lot of people are running into trouble where the installer attempts to update the firmware and fails.

The problem is that the only solution I've seen so far is to stick in an Apple SSD so that the installer will update the firmware, and then put back the current SSD, so that you can continue the install.

For all practical purposes, this is a bug in the installer - because Apple didn't test the scenario of people having replaced out their SSDs properly.

Thus, the question is whether the firmware update can somehow be decoupled from the installation process. 'cus otherwise, I'm going to need to go grab an original Apple SSD.

OK, now I see the confusion.

This site is mainly concerned with installation of macOS on non-standard hardware. Most people here may be unable or unwilling to help with your situation. That said, someone having experienced the same dilemma you face may chime in sooner or later.

Anything relating to your Mac, however, should ideally be directed toward Apple Support. Apple should also be able to tell you whether or not the firmware you seek is available as a separate installer.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back