i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti SSC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,
Having a weird issue with sound on Mojave, on a Z77-DS3H.

I've done a VERY basic install so far, with just the usual multibeast stuff completed.. and a couple of other things that I will come to.

I'm connected to my monitor using HDMI, with my speakers connected to the monitor (via a 650Ti). To select sound output, I select the monitor, and sound plays back just fine.

However, If I plug in Headphones (Front Panel), nothing happens. Looking in the sound options, the selection is titled "Internal Speakers". If I UNPLUG the headphones, it says "Headphones". It' as though they are wired back to front! Plugging in headphones should mute the speakers and switch to Headphone audio.

Not sure why it states headphones ONLY when they are DISCONNECTED?!

I've tried the ACLPlugFix guides, but I don't seem to be having any joy.

I know this is a fairly old system now, but wanted to try Mojave on my Desktop, rather than the Mavericks I stuck with. I've installed on a new SSD, so I can always go back.. but don't really see the point with such a small issue in my way.

What am I missing? I kind of feel like I'm either not thinking about it properly, or overthinking something.

As I said, it's a very basic build - I've not done much with the config.plist as it's all working fine apart from headphones. I've just tried the Plug Fix, as well as installing CodecCommander and Lilu.

Could anyone please give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks

EDIT - Before I was using the sound via the monitor, I had the speakers connected to the onboard audio at the back of the motherboard. This worked the same as I mentioned earlier - Headphones in = Sound through speakers, Headphones out = No sound. I'm going to try a fresh install again, maybe I tried too many wrong fixes :-/

Last edited:
If I plug in Headphones (Front Panel), nothing happens. Looking in the sound options, the selection is titled "Internal Speakers". If I UNPLUG the headphones, it says "Headphones". It' as though they are wired back to front! Plugging in headphones should mute the speakers and switch to Headphone audio.
Front panel jack problem; repair or replace.

@toleda Could you please give me a gentle kick in the right direction?

Even with front panel unplugged, the audio sense seems to be reversed - Headphones in = "Internal Speakers" and sound through speakers - Headphones Out = "Headphones" so no sound at all.

On the HDA audio page There are many sections, but I'm not sure if they are all mutually exclusive, or each section needs to be done in turn.

I have installed AppleALC using the MultiBeast Method and changed the Layout to multiple different options - with no change in behaviour (other than number of output devices listed changing)- although audio does work through speakers if headphones are plugged in to the front (when it was connected)

I have changed the BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig to 0x28 and 0x67.

Do I then need to go on to do something with the ALC887 codec or device ID?

In Section VI:
  • ALC887/0x10ec0887_v003002/Desktop/1 or 2 or 3/All
    1. Legacy: ALC887/0x10ec0887_v002002Desktop/1 or 2/All
      1. Intel 4/5 Series motherboards
      2. ALC888B/same as ALC887
Not sure if that's for information, or if I need to do something with it?

The guide states that ALC887 is natively supported, so not sure why I'm having the issue. I have tried a fresh install with the same results.

If I use windows or my Mavericks SSD, the sound works as expected (through speakers, and switching to headphones once plugged in).

At work at the moment, so can upload troubleshooting files later if needed - just wondering if there is something vital I have completely missed out?

I was previously outputting to my speakers via HDMI and speakers plugged into the monitor, but have switched to direct case connection to try and work this out.

Just to reiterate - I have a Z77-DS3H Rev 1.0 with an ALC887 chipset. Output devices are present, but only work as described in the post. If speakers are connected to Monitor (connected via HDMI) I get sound without headphones plugged in. Plugging in headphones does not switch to them though.

Does the System Definition play any part in this? I have is set to the default (14,2 I think).

Thanks

I feel deflated. I've gone through everything. I don't know if i've not done something.... done something wrong, or if it's just a weird glitch unique to me :(

As stated above - the computer THINKS I have headphones attached when I don't. When I do, it thinks I'm using external speakers. Tried with multiple headphones and speakers. Tried disconnecting front Audio - same issue.
Mojave 10.14.4
Z77-DS3H Rev 1.0
i5 3570k
GTX 650Ti
Followed current AppleHDA Realtek guide

Attached files - I hope I've provided what you need.

Note - IO MIGHT show a multi-audio device. Was just trying something to get multi audio output, but didn't bother in the end, so removed from screenshots.

U28E590 is my Monitor, as it has HDMI audio. I tried connected to this, but went direct in the end.

Attachments

• mustang80.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 117
OK. This morning I had a thought...

Remember when I said Mavericks and Windows were working perfectly? They were.... when I was connected by DVI on my OLD monitor. I suddenly remembered that the day I tried this whole install was the same day I got my new monitor.

So - I plugged in the Mavericks SSD again... Headphones.. without them attached!!!

My only conclusion is that, despite the fact that I am not using the audio through HDMI, it's either registering a connection to a device that has a headphone port, or there's a conflict with the devices.

Might be a long shot, but unless you have a better solution, I'll try and disable HDMI audio when I get home and see if that fixes the issue. (or just buy a DVI to HDMI adapter, so the monitor doesn't register as an audio device at all)

Not sure if I should remove AppleGFXHDA.kext or use a tool to see if I can just choose to disable it(?)

If that works, I can then do a full re-install using all the correct methods, to make sure my system is as clean as possible.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Switched to a DVI to HDMI cable, so that the monitor wasn't detected, but it still thinks headphones are plugged in when they aren't!

To use my speakers, I can just plug some headphones in, but I can't listen on my headphones at all.

Does anyone have any idea how to disable the audio on just my GPU? Maybe there's a conflict with them? Disconnecting audio header has no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back