Contribute
Register

Mojave AppleHDA Audio

So after going round and round in circles and not getting very far, I put in an additional (old) SSD and installed a fresh copy of Mojave onto it. Without making any changes to clover, the sound devices are all listed, and work, as they should.

So I think I will make a clone of that and then do a migration from the original Mojave install to save me a couple of hours of installing apps and see how we go. If that continues to work as it should then I'll clone that back to the original drive.

I know it is a long way round to get a fully working system but hey ho, it is the weekend so have plenty of time.

I'd still like to know what the problem was originally but that will probably just remain an unsolved mystery.

I got audio (including HDMI) working as follows: Clean install Mojave + Multibeast 10.4 selected AppleALC option as audio driver.
I would also like to activate spdif 2 wire, is it the same as Sierra activation, just modifying AppleHDA.kext/RealtekALC.kext? or should I modify the new kexts Lilu/AppleALC?

Last edited:
Just want to say that I, too, struggled with getting audio to work on my Mojave install. What helped me was going back to a pristine ApplHDA.kext (using Pacifist to extract the kext from the Mojave installer), removing references to AppleHDA in #KextsToPatch within config.plist and using Lilu and AppleALC. No other modifications were needed. I had to comb through a bunch of threads on the site and followed Toleda's instructions to the letter (though there were times I went down the rabbit hole and tripped myself up).

If I had to do it again, I would NOT install audio drivers via Multibeast after clean installing Mojave. Instead, I would download and move the Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext files to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, keeping the pristine AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E and reboot and call it a day. [edit: use the right layout for your Realtek audio - mine being an ALC892. I used the decimal value of 1 when editing my config.plist.] I must have burned close to 10 hours in troubleshooting / hail Marying (haha) to get working audio on my machine.

Anyway, the struggle is real, and I hope everyone reading this can get audio working properly on their CustoMac.

Last edited:
Yes, AppleALC
See Post #19.
Thanks Toleda, going to try that now!

1.png

Yes
Install Xcode, clone GitHub - acidanthera/AppleALC repo, compile AppleALC

I downloaded https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC.git as a zip, and ended up with a folder with all the files required (layout/platforms/pinconfig). I can see how to edit platforms/pinconfig, but not layout? (It's not mentioned in
"7. Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output)

Compile, instal AppleALC.kext, restart.

How do I compile a new AppleALC.kext from the AppleALC-master folder (with editions included)?

Thanks again:)

but not layout? (It's not mentioned in
"7. Substitute SPDIF-2 Wire Output)
No edit required, audio device present
How do I compile a new AppleALC.kext from the AppleALC-master folder
Recommend clone repo with Github Desktop
Double click AppleALC/AppleALC.xcodeproj
Verify compile before making any changes to any file.

BTW, MultiBeast/AppleALC.kext does not support Mojave.

Hey guys,

Those who may find that after updating to Mojave no audio devices are available.

After searching for hours and reading threads I have found this site very helpful:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

In particular it details out how AppleALC and Lilu works together and how it should be configured!
For me the second method "Method-2 (Device Properties) - Recommended", worked. Now my build is complete again after 3 great seasons on 10.11, 10.12 and 10.13 !

Back