Contribute
Register

Modding a G5 and moving over my current build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks really nice so far, I wish I lived within a decent shipping range to have gotten a lazervive setup for my G5 :-/
You may want to try sliding that power cord behind the motherboard tray for sake of tidiness as well as any other cables that you can cram back there… out of site, out of mind.

Very nice mod! I will be following this to see how you solve the 2x140mm front fan (and filter) intake, I was thinking of doing something similar to my own mod. Will also take note of which HDD cage you go for - keep us updated, and keep up the good work. :D

Thanks guys! Glad you like it :)

You may want to try sliding that power cord behind the motherboard tray for sake of tidiness as well as any other cables that you can cram back there… out of site, out of mind.

There is no space behind the tray unfortunately - it's just a thick piece of acrylic, so it sits flush against the back of the case. I managed to rearrange the cables behind the PSU a little bit though, gaining a few extra millimeters of cable, so I think I'm fine the way it is now.

Where do you want to place the HDD cage? In the front/top position it will block the airflow for the GPU!

I'm planning to place it at the bottom, behind the (eventual) fan and in front of the motherboard. That way I imagine it will get some of the airflow from the bottom-most front fan, but not block it.

I'm not going to be able to work on the G5 over the weekend, so today I just wanted to get it into a usable state. Haven't reattached the locking mechanism or anything like that, but at least with these changes I know it's not going to blow up from over-heating.

Temporary power button (this was as much a refresher on soldering as anything else, but nice to have until the front panel harness gets here):

jtwhN6xl.jpg

Very temporary front fan setup :D:

Cx3taKil.jpg

Hehe, yeah better try to block the sides that the fans can't recirculate the air.

Very familiar setup ;)

Yes indeed, thanks for blazing the trail ;)

The fans seems to be pulling enough fresh air into the case, but I'm definitely going to try and make them the "main entry point" for air, and so they don't circulate any air. I'm noticing that the fans are quite noisy even on low RPMs now (or rather, the case whines a bit from the vibrations), hopefully that's just because of the weird mounting.

It's been fine since - I realised after I put it back together that it was the front panel cable pushing the filter material and so creating too much slack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back